Sponsored by:

Weatherstrip lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 AM
ahough76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weatherstrip lubricant

Anyone have suggestions on what to apply to older weatherstripping to preserve it and keep it flexible? Any common household products or homemade items work?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 AM
ahough76
Intermediate

Default Fuel filter

Last edited by ahough76; 07-22-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Bob89c4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Die Electric grease. You can get it at any auto parts house. Its not cheap. About 17.00 for a small tube, but it really works great!

Bob
Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This product is available at a GM dealer.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I have used Die Electric grease too, as well as Armor All, and the tubes of silicone grease you buy at pool supply stores to lube and protect pool pump gaskets and O rings (kind of expensive too). All seemed to work just fine since I haven't had any weatherstrip deteriation problems.

I wasn't aware of the Delco product though. Is it liquid, or thicker like a gel or grease consistency?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I have used Nu-Vinyl for more than 25 years and swear by it. It is a polymer-based liquid (plastic....not petroleum-based) that is wiped on with a cloth and allowed to dry (a few minutes). It dries clear, no rubbing/no buffing, it seals the surface (plastic/rubber/leather), it won't peal or turn yellow, lasts 'forever'. You can add additional layers whenever you want and it blocks UV so that the surface below is not damaged by sunlight. It is particularly good for weatherstripping because it remains flexible but is non-sticky; so it doesn't 'grab' a metal/painted surface like the bare weatherstripping would. You can order the stuff from any ACE hardware store or over the internet (Amazon, etc.). I use it for my car's interior; vacuum, radiator, and heater hoses; plastic surfaces; and even the outer surface of my tires (makes them look like new rubber and keeps dirt from getting into the surface). You really should try it.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by stock76
I have used Die Electric grease too, as well as Armor All, and the tubes of silicone grease you buy at pool supply stores to lube and protect pool pump gaskets and O rings (kind of expensive too). All seemed to work just fine since I haven't had any weatherstrip deteriation problems.

I wasn't aware of the Delco product though. Is it liquid, or thicker like a gel or grease consistency?
It's a paste. When I worked for a GM dealer it was used to accommodate customers who during winter decided to get a car wash to get road salt off their cars at -20/25*F. Needless to say their doors were frozen to the weatherstripping and could not be opened without damage to the rubber. In fact in some cases the doors could not be opened at all. This product repels moisture and leaves the rubber supple. And allows for the doors to be opened at those extreme temps. I use it on my vehicles. Prevents moisture penetration and subsequent rot. It's only about $5.00 and will do the whole car.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 PM
ahough76
Intermediate

Default lubricant

Thank you very much for the recommendations! This helped alot
Old 07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
It's a paste. When I worked for a GM dealer it was used to accommodate customers who during winter decided to get a car wash to get road salt off their cars at -20/25*F. Needless to say their doors were frozen to the weatherstripping and could not be opened without damage to the rubber. In fact in some cases the doors could not be opened at all. This product repels moisture and leaves the rubber supple. And allows for the doors to be opened at those extreme temps. I use it on my vehicles. Prevents moisture penetration and subsequent rot. It's only about $5.00 and will do the whole car.

Thanks for the info too. We don't have much in the way of a freeze problem here in Florida but the heat is a real killer. I'll give the Delco emulsion a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip lubricant

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip lubricant