Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital gauges for stock gauges...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:46 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default Digital gauges for stock gauges...?

I am curious...as you guys know I am hunting a 68-72 cont for my project,
What do you think the odds would be of swapping the stock gauges that come in it for a set of aftermarket digital gauges some has but doesnt dig...OR would the stock gauges be worth enough to buy the digitals?

Thanks...
Old 12-20-2009, 01:51 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i have a set of nordskog digitals green that i'm not using... i think i have 6 gauges all 2-1/16 sizes.. i used them in my 77 but changed back to stock interior.... might need to buy a sender for the digital speedo though..
Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 AM
LRC78
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What made you change back

Originally Posted by onaqwst
i have a set of nordskog digitals green that i'm not using... i think i have 6 gauges all 2-1/16 sizes.. i used them in my 77 but changed back to stock interior.... might need to buy a sender for the digital speedo though..
I am looking to update my gauges as well and just browsed the Nordskog Catalog, they look interesting but are they worth the dollars?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Digital gauges are 'neat' to look at in a show car...but they are the pits to read 'on the fly' while driving. No race car has digital gauges...no matter how they look; you need analog dial gauges (or red/yellow/green signal lights) to quickly scan the condition of your engine/tranny systems when operating the car.

But, it is your car, and if you want looking stuff...go for it!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

the gauges worked fine for me.... it really depends on your 'theme' for your car....seemed the green digitals were easier on the eyes opposed to the reds
Old 12-20-2009, 09:49 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

7T1vette
I am curious You have tried both analog vs digitals in your own race cars to decide this opinion?

I have owned many cars with both aftermarket and factory digital gauges and never once had an issue seeing them on the fly, some colors do effect the eye differently that is why Planes use red lights, in fact some brains work differently in my case I like seeing a read out more than hunting for a little thin needle,

Lets face it race cars on street are just posturing tools...
Then again, I am just a cool looking street cruiser I am NOT a racer nor is my car ever on a track,
I will have to inquire how the wicked fast Formula drivers can see their steering wheel read outs on the fly.

Nordskog
Has an intriguing or annoying way their fuel gauges read out, they tell you the % of fuel left in the tank...but the make a great product.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

No problem. Just thought you might want to consider the risks before you dropped the ca$h on those cool-looking toys (if you hadn't already done so). As always, "different strokes for different folks"....and that's the way it should be.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
No problem. Just thought you might want to consider the risks before you dropped the ca$h on those cool-looking toys (if you hadn't already done so). As always, "different strokes for different folks"....and that's the way it should be.
No risk on my end...been using digitals with no issues since the early 80's when they really were bucks up...actually they good ones are far from being toys with read outs as if not more acurate than any analog gauges....but do not take my word on that contact Dakota digital.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I have no issue with digital gauges being good instruments or "more accurate" than analog gauges [they are, in most cases]; I just believe that they are not as "readable" on-the-fly, as I originally wrote. Digital gauges have their place (he!!, a digital clock in the cockpit is much more readable than a bunch of needles and hash-marks evenly distributed around a circular faceplate!). Have fun with your project.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

That goes back to what I replied to you before that if they are not good on the fly why would Formula drivers use digital on their steering wheel readouts?

It's far easier for me to see on the fly the numbers lit up than for my eyes to try to find where a skinny needle is pointing...

In fact this is a issue with many racers who turn the analog gauge so 12 o clock is the desired readout and they dont have to hunt for that little needle on the fly.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:18 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I think Commissioner Gordon just turned on the Bat Signal!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Digital gauges are 'neat' to look at in a show car...but they are the pits to read 'on the fly' while driving. No race car has digital gauges...no matter how they look; you need analog dial gauges (or red/yellow/green signal lights) to quickly scan the condition of your engine/tranny systems when operating the car.

It was cool in 1983...
Old 12-22-2009, 04:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

7T1vette
If the Bat Signal is on it's telling me that the C3 Convertible I just bought is on it's way to the Bat Cave...

We both know from my past threads where all you do is poke and jab that is what you were trying to do here in a very subtle way except you ended up shooting yourself in the foot with your lack of knowlage...yet again.

Haven't you figured out by now not to take me too seriously?

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
It was cool in 1983...
Vettebuyer5869
Touche...
As were air brushed ash tray lids....

I want to wish one and all a very happy Holiday!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a point.
The usability of analog devices are far superior than digital ones. What makes the difference is the ability to see before and after where the gauges are pointing at.

This is a proven point after companies like Boeing, Lockheed-Martin and Nasa poured millions of dollars into research.

Formula-1 cars are very constrained for space and that's why they have only one display, shared among several devices. If they had the room to fit several gauges, they probably would not go for several digital gauges.

I am sorry... I just could not resist posting this.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, I've driven race cars of various sorts with everything from analog gauges to digital steering wheel readouts, and IMCO the primary considerations in favor of the latter are lack of space and weight savings (besides streamlined telemetry connectivity). Regardless, the analogs are very much easier to monitor in one's peripheral vision (I perfer them clocked to where nominal readings all point straight up) whereas the digitals must require more brain cells to process and must be pretty much viewed directly. Either way, some form of "idiot light" is still a good idea for catching a racing driver's attention, which should best be left as much as possible on the road ahead. Just sayin'...

TSW

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 12-22-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by rajsid
You have a point.
The usability of analog devices are far superior than digital ones. What makes the difference is the ability to see before and after where the gauges are pointing at.

This is a proven point after companies like Boeing, Lockheed-Martin and Nasa poured millions of dollars into research.

Formula-1 cars are very constrained for space and that's why they have only one display, shared among several devices. If they had the room to fit several gauges, they probably would not go for several digital gauges.

I am sorry... I just could not resist posting this.

rajsid,

Some of your points are valid and some are just personal opinion and we all have opinions,
Your argument that Formula cars make do with digital read outs as a second choice doesn't float with me as Formula cars were around before digital gauges...

For my street car and in most race conditions tell me why I care what is before or after that hard to find needle?
Many cutting edge new cars come with digitals of some sort...including I have seen digital gauges that "look" like an analog.

Can you please post links to the millions of dollars of research Boeing, Lockheed-Martin and Nasa did proving Analog is better than Digital and in what applications....I would love to study that.

What can I say, this picture of the space shuttle doesn't show too many analog gauges compared to all the digital read out devices I see in there,

All this bantering if a persons personal taste is analog or digital is rather moot since I said before my project is a street driven show car and I like digitals....and to think I believed as I grew older brain cells were dying but I can still read digital gauges just fine...

Since once again I dig a mod that the flock hates then it shouldn't be hard for me to pick up digitals cheap...

Someone pass the eggnog and an Asprin...
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bats.. you should go easy on the eggnog and aspirin
The actual point being argued over is not about analog vs digital, but about a device that shows the current state in relation to the before and after vs a device that does not. As you mentioned, there are a lot of digital devices that will show data in relation to the before and after state. The cockpit image you posted is a good example.

No personal opinion involved. Just plain facts.

Get notified of new replies

To Digital gauges for stock gauges...?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by rajsid
Bats.. you should go easy on the eggnog and aspirin
The actual point being argued over is not about analog vs digital, but about a device that shows the current state in relation to the before and after vs a device that does not. As you mentioned, there are a lot of digital devices that will show data in relation to the before and after state. The cockpit image you posted is a good example.

No personal opinion involved. Just plain facts.

Actually you missed that while I dig digitals we have the other camp who wanted it be known that they like analog and along with that they posted some reasons they felt that analogs are better, well..Ahem, no amout of eggnog and asprins will turn a persons opinions into facts I was only clearing that up for any gauge novices out there so they can devide opinions and facts....
Old 12-24-2009, 08:33 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
7T1vette
If the Bat Signal is on it's telling me that the C3 Convertible I just bought is on it's way to the Bat Cave...
Wait a minute here! You bought your project car??

Let's have the pictures Bats! We can talk about gauges later.

Congrats on the purchase
Old 12-24-2009, 04:37 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Vettebuyer5869
Touche...
As were air brushed ash tray lids....

I want to wish one and all a very happy Holiday!
Hey... totally agree!

Did I tell you that after I had the entire interior put together I decided I HATED the ashtray lid and took it off right away??

Should have known.

Merry Christmas.

Quick Reply: Digital gauges for stock gauges...?