Throttle cable help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Throttle cable help needed

OK, I'm about at the end of my project (and my rope...). I've installed a 200-4R into my '71, and I'm running a Holley carb on a aftermarket intake. I need to install the TV cable. Doesn't sound hard. I am finding the brackets made for this install are dual purpose - that is, they include a mount for the TV cable and the accelerator cable, like so:

TV cable opening is the top right, throttle is bottom left in this pic.

My issue is that I have the stock '71 throttle cable, which requires a round, clamp-style mount, not a clip-in square mount, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...item4a9da90381

I thought I'd replace the throttle cable (Lokar! is heard throughout the Forum), however as I get it out, I find the 24" "universal" cable is about 10" too long It also has a round screw-type mount, so it wouldn't really fit with the square holes in the Holley bracket, though I could make it work. I also don't see how the end of the Lokar would 1) get through the firewall, and 2) attach to the pedal linkage.

SO - those of you who have used a Lokar throttle cable, how did you do it? What bracket did you use? How did you attach it to the stock pedal linkage? What did you do with the excess cable length?
OR...
is a later model Corvette (70's? 80's?) cable the clip-in type that would fit the Holley bracket? I'd rather use a more "stock" piece that would be close in the correct measurements. I see a '74 cable on eBay that looks like it might work, but I'm concerned with the connection at the firewall and the attaching piece to the pedal linkage.

Any assistance is appreciated greatly

Last edited by BSiegPaint; 01-13-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read lokar,s directions. it will tell you how to cut the cable to the proper length. i had to cut mine almost in half,and it fit perfect.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:16 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by fugawi
read lokar,s directions. it will tell you how to cut the cable to the proper length. i had to cut mine almost in half,and it fit perfect.
I see now that all of their cables are "cut to fit" (the packaging would do well to state this), but am not sure that the end of the cable would mate up to the stock pedal assembly grommet. Their web site says that the clevis can be removed, but there's no good picture of the attaching end. I'm hesitant to tear everything open and find it's not what I need. From all the success stories on the Forum, though, I'm guessing that everything mates up fine. And since you have a '70, you would have removed the same cable as I have, so that's reassuring. OK, I'll go tear things up a bit and see what I find...
Old 01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just solved my own throttle cable issue only last weekend, BSP.

Like yourself, I wanted to reuse my existing OEM cable for various reasons but I also wanted to blend in one of those after-market cable brackets. Mostly, bc I'm vain sometimes but not always.

This is for my clutch car so may not work as easy for an auto equipped car.

I like to ponder these problems and see what falls out from the old grey matter. I chose this CSR bracket, which did not include a set screw. The i.d. in the pedestal was a shade bigger than 3/8"; too small for the existing cable end and the plastic sleeve over the exposed wire.

I unsprung the cable's ball retainer and peeled the sleeve back away from the crimped end. Then carefully cut the sleeve length-wise with my trusty Dremel to remove. Now the exposed wire end passed freely through the pedestal's bore.

Visited my local Ace hardware and purchased a 12 or 14 inch section of .049 wall 3/8" dia. aluminum tubing (shortest I found), a 3/4" long 1/4" setscrew and a jam nut. Cut 3/4" long piece off the end of tube, cut that small section length wise on either side of center to fab a 2-pc clamshell. Assembled it to come up with this:

Had to ensure it would fit under my 14" dia air cleaner w/o obstruction:

With the pedestal sitting in a slot, that was simply a matter of sliding and adjusting the package. I have full retention of the factory cable and more importantly, a very secured, smoothly operated, and unobstructed access to WOT. I also fabbed up the return spring bracket underneath for the dual spring throttle return.

It wasn't the cheapest solution, the after-market bracket being the most bling. The rest was pennies and my time.

It even satisfys my vanity.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
I see now that all of their cables are "cut to fit" (the packaging would do well to state this), but am not sure that the end of the cable would mate up to the stock pedal assembly grommet. Their web site says that the clevis can be removed, but there's no good picture of the attaching end. I'm hesitant to tear everything open and find it's not what I need. From all the success stories on the Forum, though, I'm guessing that everything mates up fine. And since you have a '70, you would have removed the same cable as I have, so that's reassuring. OK, I'll go tear things up a bit and see what I find...
Im going through the process of installing a lokar cable myself. I ended up taking a chisel to the plastic firewall connector of the old cable to take it off, it went very smoothly without damaging the metal plate covering the big hole. Now to get the clevis off you unscrew the little bracket that connect to the carb linkage and slide the cable out of the sleeving and then just pull the clevis off the other end. Then just reassemble the cable.
The following users liked this post:
69ttop502 (01-25-2021)
Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 AM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Thanks for all the replies! I found a nice bracket (thanks, Ed!) and went ahead with the Lokar cabling. Turns out on the'71 you can't take the original accelerator cable off from the outside, only from the inside It wasn't too bad taking off the pedal and pulling it through after getting a few things out of the way under there. The Lokar cable has to be installed way high in the firewall hole, though, or your cable ends won't match up with the connector grommet on the end of the pedal assembly and your cable will bind. All installed, all working, all happy

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle cable help needed

Quick Reply: Throttle cable help needed