C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first chip in my new paint... %^*#@*%#)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 PM
STL'79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I let my high school senior drive the '79 to his high school prom. Was sweating bullets, but he will remember that longer than he will remember his date (they have broken up, but he still drives the car). Of course, before he could drive it to prom he had to learn how to drive a manual. His first drive in a corvette and his first drive in a manual transmission car happened at the same time. Also taught (am teaching!) my 16 year old daughter how to drive a stick in the corvette. What the heck - they'll remember it!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Usually with my luck I get a chip on the drive home from the paint shop. This last time I didn't even have a pin hole chip in it for over 2 or 3 years it was unbelievable. I try not to drive behind dump trucks, I actually think there's a live bottom one called the "Stone Slinger" you want to stay clear of those babies.

But the first one I got someone pointed it out to me. Right smack in the middle of my hood, a nice one too, they used the same color primer as base coat on my car and this went right through that too so all you could see was white spot. Now tell me how a stone flies up and curves around the front of the Vette and slams down into the hood to make chip like that ?

Quite a little rain dance went on for a while after that and when I was finished everyone had gone home
Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Nose chip. One of my past 79's had just got a fresh black paint job not even a week old. When I got home the wife car was centered in the garage so I parked it in front of the house behind a black BMW. I thought to myself I better give some space so the BMW dosent back into my new paint. I left about 3 feet between the cars.

Now I'm in our kitchen talking with the wife and suddenly I hear footsteps in the garage; then a knock on the door and the guy ask "do you own the black Corvette?"

You know it; he backed up into the Vette putting a dime size chip on the nose.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I feel your pain. I was setting out to go on our annual cruise night this past year and the weather was questionable (beautiful sunshine day but........a chance of showers). I removed the T-tops and put them in the cargo area as careful as I could and even wrapped beachtowels around them (don't have straps or bags for them). After the cruise, I pulled the tops out of the back, unwrapped the drivers side and jockey'd it around to put it on when it slipped out of my hand and fell against the shaft that the door latches to. I was literally sick to my stomach and still am every time I look at it. Not only paint but a nice size chunk of glass came off with it. Trying to get over it too but it just may well be the end of the world.

Quick Reply: My first chip in my new paint... %^*#@*%#)