Sponsored by:

Windshield Glass install

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Hornevette76
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield Glass install

Iam getting ready to give my 76 a new paint job, my windshield has a small blemish on the bottom of the drivers side, so I wanted to replace before painting. Stopped by the glass shop, they said they would do the job if the frame was not rusted. The guy said he had done many of these on vette's and have not found many that didn't need a lot of work on the frame before the glass. I was just wondering if there is a way to check mine out before I let him do the job. He seemed very knowlegeable about this in vette's. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am assuming you are removing the windshield moldings in prep for paint. You can check the condition of the W/S frame at that time. You can also remove the interior trim panels and check the condition on the inside of the car.

Just the same, once the old windshield is out and the channel cleaned up, some spots of rot might show up.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Hornevette76
Heel & Toe

Thanks Mike for the reply, Iam checking with the boby shop to make sure they can do the welding on window channel, if it needs it, I guess it will. The glass guy said he would go the his shop and install the windsheild, that sounds like a plan to me. Iam new to this vette stuff so just bare with me if I ask some stupid ?'s. Been reading every day on the forum, it sure has some great info, from some real knowledgeable guys.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Double check that the glass guy will use a ribbon seal and not polyurethane from a caulking gun. Many glass shops insist on the polyurethane but it will set the glass too far in and the moldings won't fit.

And yes, odds are good that the windshield frame will need at least some repairs.

Also, I don't see any need to move the car to another shop just to install a wind shield. It's quite easy and takes less than 30 minutes.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Hornevette76
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the info on the ribbon seal, I'll make sure on that one, sure don't want any problems with the windsheild trim not fitting.

No, the car is not going to another shop for the install, glass guy said he would come to the body shop and do it.
Thanks again
Old 07-16-2010, 03:34 PM
jdizon
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Glass install

Many glass shops insist on the polyurethane but it will set the glass too far in and the moldings won't fit. . You don't need to wait weeks for auto glass guy to come to Chandler for your car.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

When I did my vert I had to replace the top header part then grind any surface rust out of bottom edge. I then used etching primer where the sealer was going to be placed. and waited a week for the primer to fully cure. If Your going to do it get it as good as You can. You don,t want to have to do it again. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 PM
jimo
Drifting

I replaced the windshild in my 76 a few months ago, did it in a mates shop so we were able to take everything off and then got the glass guy to come in and take it out, my mate then did some work on the frame, i was lucky as it wasnt to bad!! and once it was finished we called the glass guy to come back and install it, i can finally see through the windshield

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Glass install

Quick Reply: Windshield Glass install