YJ8 - How Does One Really Know

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks a bunch for the information.
If you could please tell me the source of your wheels shown here I'd like to speak with them about their sourcing.
Maybe they can help me date the wheels from the serial numbers I have here, or at least give me some sense on where they came from in the first place. Not really an issue now, they are off my cars and won't be returning.
I wonder if Corvette America makes there own or sources from this company as well. Have to check those wheels I bought last year from them.
Fascinating.
David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 04-01-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Updated Corvette America Inquiry
Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
So you are saying that the wheels I have are counterfeit fakes. If that is true then can I ask where you got your counterfeit fakes because the source appears to be one in the same and I can do something about stopping them if they are fakes.

Now if they are aftermarket and a legitimate source for a wheel that is not patented any longer then your statement is wrong, and these are legitimate products.

My job is stopping counterfeits from producing medical devices and drugs that if incorrectly manufactured can harm people. I would think that wheels have to be tested and certified here in the US. I will assume nothing, but I will find out.

In the mean time I would appreciate you watch your tone with me, I was not trying to do anything but find out the truth. What I am surprised at is that you didn't share this little bit of information in an earlier posting...but no matter now, I'll take the appropriate action now.

Thanks a bunch for the information.

David
David,

My point is....the wheels in question you have are reproducton's.....period!

Use mine as a guide. You can buy them all day long from any major corvette house in the USA. They are not "Counterfeit" wheel's, just reproductions. "Made in China"

My tone?????????

David............ Palllllease! Your are too nice of a guy to go that route!

Hope to see you at the Regional's.

Thank you for your response.

Stay in tune.....
Old 04-01-2010, 06:34 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Back side of a Western....

and a Kelsey....

From 76 on only Kelseys were installed BY THE FACTORY.
I believe the Rockwell/Westerns were the original somewhat failed attempt at aluminum wheels in 73. But dealers probably got them cheaper to add on as dealer installed options.

Anyway, checked some numbers on my Westerns, found the "FW" and "14018395", just like yours have!
I guess 'Mike Ward" wins the prize, first to call it!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:41 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by KapsSA

and a Kelsey....

I believe the Rockwell/Westerns were the original somewhat failed attempt at aluminum wheels in 73. But dealers probably got them cheaper to add on as dealer installed options.

Anyway, checked some numbers on my Westerns, found the "FW" and "14018395", just like yours have!
Perfect, I appreciate the information. Westerns, good to know. And know that Kelsey-Hayes owns all that Western data the mystery is solved and can stop here.
Mike Ward wins the prize for first identifying what he thought to be true. You win the prize for confirming it. Thank you very much.

Best regards,

David
Old 04-01-2010, 06:43 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KapsSA

and a Kelsey....

I do believe, the first manufacture of the the YJ-8's was AR....

I could be wrong.....but doubt it!

Stay in tune....
Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by GREGG-73
David,

My point is....the wheels in question you have are reproducton's.....period!

Use mine as a guide. You can buy them all day long from any major corvette house in the USA. They are not "Counterfeit" wheel's, just reproductions. "Made in China"

My tone?????????

David............ Palllllease! Your are too nice of a guy to go that route!

Hope to see you at the Regional's.

Thank you for your response.

Stay in tune.....
I must have misinterpreted your comments, it happens in my line of work. Sorry if I got a bit worked up. While rare it can happen to anyone, even us nice guys, occasionally.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Could be. I know the Westerns have always been considered aftermarket. My 2 will probably spend forever on my shop wall
Old 04-01-2010, 07:08 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

I must have misinterpreted your comments, it happens in my line of work. Sorry if I got a bit worked up. While rare it can happen to anyone, even us nice guys, occasionally.
David,

Your OKAY!, in my book!

Take that 77 out for some judging!!!!!!!!!

All the best, no reply required.

Stay in tune....
Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Stay in tune....
That's correct, the 1973 wheels were made by American Racing. A set of them turned up recently at auction and was purchased by Lyle C. That makes 3 (?) full sets that have been found so far. None were factory installed on cars, sold as over the counter stuff only.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 PM
1973yj8owner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
That's correct, the 1973 wheels were made by American Racing. A set of them turned up recently at auction and was purchased by Lyle C. That makes 3 (?) full sets that have been found so far. None were factory installed on cars, sold as over the counter stuff only.
Out of curiosity, where was the auction and what did he pay for the 1973 wheels. The part number 329381 is cast in the reverse side of the American Racing Wheels, see my id. I have a set of the American Racing Wheels. I also have a set from a 1980 Corvette that was wrecked. I believe the 1980 wheels are K H Wheels (they are clear coated). The AR wheels and KH wheels use different lug nuts and they are not interchangeable.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
1973yj8owner
Advanced

Does Greg-73 (a former GM employee) live in the Baltimore area and have posts on the NCRS site years ago about the 73 wheels. I spoke to him on the phone about the wheels a couple years ago. If not sorry.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1973yj8owner
Does Greg-73 (a former GM employee) live in the Baltimore area and have posts on the NCRS site years ago about the 73 wheels. I spoke to him on the phone about the wheels a couple years ago. If not sorry.
Sent you a PM...

Stay in tune...
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1973yj8owner
Out of curiosity, where was the auction and what did he pay for the 1973 wheels.
I wondered if/when you'd come out of lurking and suggest that you contact Lyle directly for the details. These are the real deal '73 items.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:24 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

David, stopped by to see John this AM, before I went out to the Vette. Thought I would take a few pics for you, although not the best, but they show a KH wheel. These are currently the wheels on the 74, although they came stock with the rallies, the original owner had the dealer swap out the set that was on the showroom floor when they were available in '76. I don't recall how much he paid, but he wanted them as soon as he saw them. I have decided to go with the rally wheel and the P02's when mine is completed and keep the KH's as spares. Later..........................Tom
enjoy the pics.....

#1 shows that they were made in Mexico

#2 the part number

#3 & 4 the Kelsey Hayes markings

Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Very cool Tom, good find, keep them, they will only go up in value. Have your body lifting straps here, forgot them last time, will get them down to John this week if I can.
Nice week to work on Corvettes for sure.
Cheers.
David
Old 05-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Pace Car Bob
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tom,
Good pictures of the Kelsey Hayes wheels but I couldn't make out the part number. I have a set I bought from a guy thattold me he took them off of his 74. Obviously there were no stock YJ8 wheelsin 74 so I assume they were addded later. My confusion comes from the part number on my wheels 14008687, I don't see that number referenced anywhere in this thread. They are clearly marked Kelsey Hayes, Made in Mexico and 15JJ X 8.00 but the part number seems odd to me. Can you better pin point what year these may have orignated on?
Thanks
Bob
Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Ok, Thanks to you guys, I now know I have two Kelsey Hays like Tom's ...and one Western (like the OP), and one I don't know what it is ...I think original. Thanks Craig's List! I looked at them when I bought them but not very close on the back side. Now I know a lot more.

Mark G

Get notified of new replies

To YJ8 - How Does One Really Know

Old 05-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader Vette

My four aluminum wheels from my 1977 Coupe have interesting but not terribly revealing information in them. Each has a casting number "14018395" on the back. Each also has "FW" cast into the back and a number "1" cast back there as well. What I found today when I started to clean them up is a large stamped number "34" and a small but long stamped number "092698201".

Okay you wheel experts, can you point me in the direction of where I can learn more about these wheels. The internet has proven to be less than helpful here so I am turning to the experts, or at least you guys to start.
Hoping someone out there has some good information or sources for some.
Thanks for your help.
David
My Early 77 came with really deep trim rings and center caps.
When I raced it at Mid ohio I would take off the rings and caps paint them flat black and the car was white, it looked the Bomb.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:44 PM
rik69
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Western wheel division, Rockwell int. made in USA

I was given a set just recently and the inside of the wheemoml has all of those markings including 15x8 and the part number 14018395 FW.I don't even need them. Anybody need some?

Last edited by rik69; 04-25-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add another sentence.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rik69
I was given a set just recently and the inside of the wheemoml has all of those markings including 15x8 and the part number 14018395 FW.I don't even need them. Anybody need some?
This thread is four years old. List your wheels in the For Sale section.

Quick Reply: YJ8 - How Does One Really Know