Sponsored by:

1978 power antenna replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 power antenna replacement

The improvement project on my 1978 is getting close to the end. One more thing that I would appreciate some info on is the power antenna.

As far as I know, it is the original. I won't know for sure until I get a better look.
I have narrowed the list to 3 or 4 possible power antennas to replace mine. I have used lubricants, oil, WD-40 and so on. It's not reliable and my antenna goes up/down when the power is turned on & off, even if to listen to a CD and not the radio. I have changed out the old radio with a nice modern stereo/CD player but haven't really used it yet.

Prices are $75 or so up to around $200 from most of the usual Corvette parts suppliers. Price differences for the same thing at 2 sites may vary quite a bit too.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge or a recommendation of a good new electric antenna to replace the original (I think it's original). I'm hoping that very little wiring or other screwing around will be necessary or figuring out how to mount and so forth.

Possibly a replacement that is another used one form a salvage yard could work for an easy switch out install?? I don't care to buy used electric/electronic items though.
The stereo is a nice new JCV unit that is installed already. Some units claim to be "direct replacements", some are "universal fit". I just want something that is reliable, fairly easy to install, and works well in a 1978 vette.
Suggestions, please. Thanks so much to anyone that knows the answer or answers. Maybe more than one possible solution here.

Here are examples but I don't know if they work or work with my car;

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=1104
I'm not promoting this one, just giving an example of one at the low end.

Maybe someone has tried this one at the high end:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...+Power+Antenna
Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

for me the cheapy would be just fine, others would prefer factory original.i am going to one of the new hidden antennas .look at cruchfields for antennas.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 AM
gs78vette
Instructor

I don't know if either example I included are actually good choices. I was asking if anyone had actual experience with these or any other that they would recommend as good, working, and reasonable to install.

These claim to be for my year of car but that doesn't mean they fit, work well, or install worth a darn. Hopefully someone has had recent experience with one they like and feel comfortable recommending.

@terry82
Do you have a link to the antennas at Crutchfield's that your are referring to? I'm covering all bases so I would like to see what you are talking about. That is where I got my new stereo that I will be using with this antenna.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The optional factory installed power antenna was designed to go up when the radio was turned on and retract when the radio was off. It made no difference if the radio was on to listen to the radio or to play a tape, if the radio was powered up, the antenna was up. The antenna will also raise and lower when the ignition is turned on or off, if the radio is left on.

The 78 power antenna was a one year only antenna. The 78 antenna can be identified by the motor body and the bezel in the car body that the antenna raises through.

The 78 body was designed so that it could be disassembled and repaired. I forget exactly how the body is held together and all my Illustrated Corvette Parts Books are at my shop, but I think the motor halves are held together by clips. The 79 and later motors are held together by hollow rivets that resemble steel grommets. The 78 motor sat on a bracket and had a stud coming out of the bottom of the motor where the body was bolted to the bracket. The 78 antenna has a black plastic push in bezel at the top of the mast tube that positioned the antenna in the car body. 79 and later antennas have a chrome nut at the top of the mast tube that holds the antenna into the car. Factory OEM antennas used a round chrome nut with four slots for tightening the nut and the nut is almost flush with the body when installed. GM service replacement antennas used a smooth, round nut that was about a 1/4" to 1/2" tall. Since the later antennas were held in by the mast nut, the stud in the motor and lower base bracket were eliminated. The 79 type motor may have been used in some very late build 78s.

The antenna in the Zip link is the GM licensed reproduction of the Delco power antenna. This antenna is based on the discountinued 79-82 Delco service replacement, not the OEM 78 or 79-82 antenna. I think it is very close to the 79-82 antenna, but not identical. If your trying to maintain an as original appearence as possible with your 78, than this is the antenna to go with. I would suggest shopping around though, as I think you can find the same antenna from other Corvette vendors for $20 less, and maybe even a little more.

Last edited by gbvette62; 04-28-2010 at 12:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jim in oregon (10-21-2015)
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 AM
gs78vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The optional factory installed power antenna was designed to go up when the radio was turned on and retract when the radio was off. It made no difference if the radio was on to listen to the radio or to play a tape, if the radio was powered up, the antenna was up. The antenna will also raise and lower when the ignition is turned on or off, if the radio is left on.
Yes, that's how mine works so I need a working one for sure.

Originally Posted by gs78vette
It's not reliable and my antenna goes up/down when the power is turned on & off, even if to listen to a CD and not the radio.
I realize too that this 1978 is unique to the one year for a number of things, the antenna set-up is one of them. That is why I'm trying to find someone that has some experience and can say that such and such a model and brand of antenna will work great.

Are you aware of a power antenna (assembly) that would work on this car. I do not care about it being true to original, just operate like the original. I've made this car nicer with my parts change-out, in my opinion, exclusive of the exterior.
The stereo I have installed for instance was not even nearly available in 1978. I have 1979 seats, new and much nicer, the list goes on. I just want it true to corvette in general and the appearance to be right.

I don't want to buy expensive antennas over and over because I don't know if they work and I must keep returning them.

I would love an inexpensive one. It must fit well and go up and down when it is suppose to. That's all.

@gbvette62 - do you know of something like the one from ZIP that would work or from somewhere else, maybe cheaper???
Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

What exactly is the problem with your original antenna?
The aluminum housing antenna was used on 78s and EARLY 79s before they went to the plastic housing slimline model.
As for going up all the time, you could simply put a cutoff switch between the radio and antenna relay in the yellow wire. Leave the switch to 'on' and it will continue to go up and down with the radio control, but switch it 'off' and it will go down and stay down till you hit 'on' again.
I've installed a couple "Harada" antennas for people, one of the popular aftermarket units(like the one in your Wilcox link). Didn't really like the quality.

I'd be interested in buying your complete original antenna setup if you're removing it. Fixed a ton of these over the years until the nylon cable repair part became scarce but recently found a new source for em so I may start fixing them again
OR....I have a real nice used motor with a NOS mast, tube, and cable for sale Last of what I had on hand.
edit...pic, third from the left.....

Last edited by KapsSA; 04-28-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 AM
78anniversary
Racer

Here is a direct replacement for the 78 antenna sold by corvette central. they took a 79 antenna and modified it with the proper attatchment hardware for the 78.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z5Z50000050G#
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 AM
78anniversary
Racer

KapsSA, PM sent
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/produ...earch=antennas
Old 04-28-2010, 12:08 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

Wow, checked the email just now when I got a chance and was quite surprised and pleased to find a wealth of great information!. This is what I was hoping for but did not think I would find.

@terry82-thanks for the link-now I understand what you meant and I'll probably use one of those in another car

@gbvette62- I appreciate the history on this thing so I can make better decisions since I now know more

@78anniversary- I must have missed that one somehow, I looked at all the usual suspects like Corvette Central and even found some other sites I never knew of. Especially being a new antenna unit, I'm really thinking about this one but I was hoping to spend lots less money than that. I should know better considering how much work I've completed on this car. You and I must have the same car with all the anniversary badging and all.

@KapsSA - So we meet again, just a few days after all the good advice I got from you on the rocker panels - who knew! Now I have a question on the antenna assembly and a guy that rebuilds them, knows all about them, even sends photos and maybe wants to deal on one, answers my post. NICE!

From all the info combined from you guys, no doubt I'll find/get what I need. This is great.
The car is in the shop getting a few things adjusted and fixed from the rebuild project last fall/winter. I'll be down there today hopefully and put it up on the hoist. I may need to loosen or lower the muffler to get to the radio antenna to work on it.
KapsSA, it that necessary to get to it on a 1978 or 78anniversary, you might know that too.

@KapsSA - were you interested in working a trade, selling your unit outright, rebuilding mine for a fee, or something else? also feel free to send private email too.
I'm so glad you sent photos. I'm just assuming that mine is original.

The mast will sometimes go up, go part way, not go up at all (like right now). Same with the way down. I used various lotions and potions to lubricate it and may work better but briefly at best. Even if I got it to work well, it would not be reliable. I think the motor is good (? old) but the mast is a bit bent here and there and just works rough at best.

More after I see mine, hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 PM
joe@zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
this is the antenna to go with. I would suggest shopping around though, as I think you can find the same antenna from other Corvette vendors for $20 less, and maybe even a little more.
We will match anyone's price on the SAME QUALITY antenna.
Corvette Tech Articles
Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

If the mast DOES go up and down the nylon cable is probably OK, for now
There's a 'pinchwheel' with serrated teeth that looses it's bite over time. A triangular file can recut those teeth so they bite again. But even if that's the problem, I'd still replace the nylon cable too.
If you're sure the motor runs good and want to send it to me, I'll do what I can for parts$ and shipping(last one I shipped was $8). The cable is $25.
As long as the masts aren't creased, I've been able to get SLIGHTLY bent masts straight again. I do have a nice large and middle section with my remaining stuff(the small section is part of the cable). The chrome is slightly worn but both sections are straight. Figure $10 each if I need them.
I've given away most of my spare parts, tho.

edit....not 100% necessary to remove the muffler but it does help! Easiest is undo the rear hangers on both mufflers(if still Y pipe equipted) and let both mufflers hang down.
If the power connector isn't underneath by the antenna, you'll probaply find it behind the driver side rear speaker or blockoff panel.

Last edited by KapsSA; 04-28-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

@KapsSA & 78anniversary

Just an FYI - my car is a black silver anniversary and an L82. I'm very glad that I waited for an L82 to become available when I was looking.

I'm going to see if now is a good time to get to the hoist or not at the shop for viewing the antenna area. If not, then later today I hope.

I live close to you KapSA (sort of), I'm in central Iowa.....Ames

I really gutted the interior, even more than this photo. The console and everything in the back got removed too before replacing the whole interior with new, restoring to like new, or thoroughly cleaning. Then the underside - all suspension and all steering including front & rear sway bars. No rear bar from the factory which surprised me.

During the tear out:

[IMG][/IMG]

Modest car with a great interior - exterior is next I hope:

Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by PriceatZIP
We will match anyone's price on the SAME QUALITY antenna.
Good to know - I will seriously take a look and compare -
thanks PriceatZip
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

@KapsSA - PM sent
Old 04-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Just a note: GM used the antenna with the thin plastic housing (the one in the Corvette Central link) for many years after our C3's were made. My 1993 Caddilac, for instance, has that same antenna. So, that would be another source. They are easy to disassemble and repair. Drill out the rivits and the two halves come apart. I use synthetic grease on the innards. The antenna mast for newer corvettes (and also fit the Caddy's) used to be available from most of the Vette parts distributors, but lately it has been discontinued by many (most). There are sources on Ebay that sell them.

Oh and BTW, even on the 93 Cadillac, the antenna goes up/down anytime the radio is turned off/on regardless of what mode the radio is in.

Mark G
Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

@Mark G
Great information. I had no idea about the later use on the same antenna. You're saying the exact same one with no design change is used on a 1993 Cadillac and other models?

How about getting the plugs and nylon cable, easy to get somewhere too? Or I should say, is there anything as far as parts or materials that can not be found at this time?

In case I need it, can you tell me a couple other vehicles Cads or something else that use the antenna? I may just purchase a whole used antenna assembly from a salvage yard sometime if needed.
Very interesting, and again, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 power antenna replacement

Old 05-01-2010, 02:35 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

If you look at my pic above, the antenna he's talking about is the "slimline" shown to the right. Used from late79-82 on our Vettes.
I've had hit and miss luck with finding mast sections for those models. The "GM service replacements" that I've come across for parts have slightly different diameter mast sections than the oem ones originally installed.

As for the repair cables, they WERE available from GM up til last year but no longer. And it seems the Corvette vendors are having a hard time supplying them, too.
But....I found a source if anyone needs one. NOT "Genuine Delco" but pretty exact replacements. And when you consider the Delcos didn't hold up that well........

Here's the link.
Says 79-82 but work with the 78s too, just remove the hook. Tip threads MAY be slightly different but pretty sure the coarse threaded tip will screw on with some effort. Of course if your tip is fine threaded it won't! There ARE two different tips used, 3 if you consider the crimped on one.
If the link gets removed cause they're not supporting dealers, PM me.....
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Ch...01979-1982.htm

Last edited by KapsSA; 05-01-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:36 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

You're showing and talking about Corvette repair and showing that link that supports the instructional info you are providing. You are not promoting a specific business for your own gain so the link should stay put.

KapsSA- good info as usual, maybe Mark G has some older information??

I was still wondering what vehicles actually had the same antenna. Besides my dilemma, I have a friend with a 1980 Corvette with similar antenna problems.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Like MarkG mentioned, all GM lines shared the same antennas, just using different brackets.
The GM replacement mast tubes for 78 have a variety of mount holes in them so different brackets can be attached, unlike the factory installed antennas that had the brackets spot welded.
Recently sold a NOS unit but swapped out the NOS mast tube with a very nice used original. NCRS judging would have caught the NOS replacement.
In fact, a used 78 antenna I sold was originally out of a 78 Cadillac. Just changed the bracket and spun the mast tube around 180*.

Quick Reply: 1978 power antenna replacement