Sponsored by:

New rear caliper and brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 PM
2wheelin
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New rear caliper and brake lines

Well thanks to the fine folks here for pointing me in the direction of Paragon Corvette for my parts to fix my rear brake caliper on my '79.

Below is my progression through the process of replacing the caliper, brake pipe, and hose. I'll tell the best that I can remember, and I am certain that I did some steps WRONG, and I appreciate any feedback any of you may provide for when I have to do the left side.

Notice I have the caliper off and the rubber hose pinched off to keep the DOT-3 cozy in the master cylinder.

Next, I installed the brake pads into the caliper, but I did not like the cotter pin provided from Wagner with the pads. Looks like it could vibrate off.

So I reused the old cotter pin. I then placed the caliper on the rotor but I did NOT BOLT IT ON YET!! (you will see why shortly)

I attached the brake pipe to the caliper after it was on the rotor. From what I recall, I wouldn't have been able to attach the pipe to the caliper off from the rotor then get it to fit on the rotor (I'm having a mental "rewind" problem at the moment)

Before I loosened the nut connecting the old pipe to the hose I made sure the master cylinder was full. The clip holding the hose to the frame was pushed off and I quickly removed the pipe from the hose then the hose from the chassis pipe.

Time to move quickly! Brake fluid starts running freely so I attach the hose the the chassis pipe (attach the end that does NOT have the C-clip to the chassis pipe). I insert the C-clip end of the new hose through the hex-shaped frame attachment-hole (idk what it is called!). See the picture below.

Then I slide the caliper, with the new brake pipe, back and forth until I can get the new pipe threaded to the new hose (that's why you don't want to bolt your new caliper on yet, the pipe is not an exact fit). Hey, not too big of a puddle.

Finally, with a little push, I get he caliper aligned with the mounting holes and bolt her in. Time to bleed.

Last thing I gotta do is reset the brake indicator light that turned on when the rear caliper blew out. I hate to mess with the proportioning valve, but the brake light is driving me crazy.

Thanks for listening!
TOM
Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up and thanks for taking the time to share your project. I get to bleed the brakes on my car in the next few days, just as soon as I can get to it.

Quick Reply: New rear caliper and brake lines