Got the estimate for my paint damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got the estimate for my paint damage

A while back I was goin' along the highway & hit a truck tire tread ("Road Gator") tossed up by the semi in front of me. I've ignored it for a while but then remembered that Hagerty Insurance has zero deductable. So why should I live with scratches on the paint?

I went to the place in La Mesa, CA that was mentioned on line here, Elite Collision. He wants 1600 bones to fix it! So I initiated a claim with Haggerty and I'm anxious to see what's gonna happen.

In the pics you can see two divits on the front bumper, scratches on the top of the right front fender and then a big scratch behind the right front wheel well.

Also talked to Adrian about putting some flames on the sides of the C3, coming out the gills and back across the doors. Can't wait to see what he comes up with!
-Paul
Attached Images    
Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 432 Likes on 259 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

$1600.00
Are they repainting the entire nose / surround / from doors foward excluding hood ?

YIKES .......
Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
$1600.00
Are they repainting the entire nose / surround / from doors foward excluding hood ?

YIKES .......
No kiddin' it does sound like a lot. He's sanding & painting, and blending to existing paint. Then a clear coat over the nose.

But yea, Calif has their foot to the throat of auto repair here. Even a standard repair shop is now required to have massive exhaust fans to properly vent the shop so the employees are not breathing contaminated air. And all the shops are carports; they are not enclosed!

Paint shops have to ventilate better, and have filtration systems so that they are not polluting the air with the exhaust fan. Combine all that with the highest Worker's Comp insurance and the cost of land here, it all mixes up to a high priced industry.

But :ahem: (coughing) yes it does seem pretty steep for that kinda damage.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Don't forget to post how your Insurance treats you
Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
No kiddin' it does sound like a lot. He's sanding & painting, and blending to existing paint. Then a clear coat over the nose.

But yea, Calif has their foot to the throat of auto repair here. Even a standard repair shop is now required to have massive exhaust fans to properly vent the shop so the employees are not breathing contaminated air. And all the shops are carports; they are not enclosed!

Paint shops have to ventilate better, and have filtration systems so that they are not polluting the air with the exhaust fan. Combine all that with the highest Worker's Comp insurance and the cost of land here, it all mixes up to a high priced industry.

But :ahem: (coughing) yes it does seem pretty steep for that kinda damage.
Are they required to use the new waterborne paints?
A couple of shops in the state are using it but the regulators in our state don't require it yet.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by highschool67
Are they required to use the new waterborne paints?
A couple of shops in the state are using it but the regulators in our state don't require it yet.
Yup, at least out here in the bay area all shops are required to use only water based paints. I think all California does, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Did you get the license plate number of the offending truck?

In the last year, I've seen some drastic escalation in car repair bills here, Torrance Ca. My 95 Cadillac Seville needed spark plugs and wire replaced. The dealer (stealer) wanted $781.00!! I bought AC Delco wires from ... for $120 and sparkplugs for $6.50 each. It was at most an hour job. A month later my 97 Tbird was getting #3 plug misfire error codes and once again a plug and wire replacement was required. A local garage wanted $190 for the wire set and $200 labor to replace the wires. On the 97 'bird, wire replacement was just a simple case of pulling the wires loose at each end and replacing them. Last year, the local Cadillac dealer wanted $1500 to replace my Seville water pump. I had to pay that since, I didn't know better, and I needed the car back on the road. I've since found out that water pump replacement noway justifies anything near a $1500 bill.

I think your damage repair is much more sophisticated than my water pump bill, in that regards it's not that much out of alignment.

A well known body shop and salvage parts business, a corvetteforum sponsor, told me that they unknowingly had about a quart of a highly disallowed solvent in their shop. Luck would be that one of their junior bodymen was using the solvent when the EPA showed up for a visit. They were assessed a $10,000 fine.

There must be a lot of factors really driving up costs for body shops and garages here in PR of California.

Last edited by savewave; 08-23-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: NSV link removed
Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Dunno what some of the posters here are thinking, but $1600 to basically repaint half a car doesn't sound high to me.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Depends on the quality of the job.

I had a $3000.00 paint job done to my daily driver through my insurance after a deer cross-checked me. Painted 1/4 of the car. Really; it was minimal damage to the car.

I thought to myself when it went in for repairs that I would be on the winning end; because the shop would fix the front end stone chips! Wrong; painted right over them instead of fixing properly. Probably would have have cost me an additional 3-4 hours shop time with added labour. I have a hard time understanding that shops do the minimum repairs required. I just envisioned the repairs bringing the damaged panels to a like-new condition; you know, like brand new; like perfect! I would have gladly paid extra to have it done right. Not many places take pride in their work. Thought I was over this; almost a year later it still pizzes me off!

Ensure the shop has a complete understanding of your expectations in regard to the quality of workmanship.

$1600.00 doesn't seem excessive.

You got off pretty light on the damage considering that was caused by a gator skin!

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyman
Depends on the quality of the job.

I had a $3000.00 paint job done to my daily driver through my insurance after a deer cross-checked me. Painted 1/4 of the car. Really; it was minimal damage to the car.

I thought to myself when it went in for repairs that I would be on the winning end; because the shop would fix the front end stone chips! Wrong; painted right over them instead of fixing properly. Probably would have have cost me an additional 3-4 hours shop time with added labour. I have a hard time understanding that shops do the minimum repairs required. I just envisioned the repairs bringing the damaged panels to a like-new condition; you know, like brand new; like perfect! I would have gladly paid extra to have it done right. Not many places take pride in their work. Thought I was over this; almost a year later it still pizzes me off!

Ensure the shop has a complete understanding of your expectations in regard to the quality of workmanship.

$1600.00 doesn't seem excessive.

You got off pretty light on the damage considering that was caused by a gator skin!

Good luck.
I would think long and hard before I would ever use that shop again. $3,000. ? and they didn't take enough pride in their work to fix the chips ?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bj1k
I would think long and hard before I would ever use that shop again. $3,000. ? and they didn't take enough pride in their work to fix the chips ?
That's a no-brainer! None of my cars will be back to that shop.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 AM
crossram
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Hagerty on all my muscle cars and vettes. I would not make a claim on something this light. There cost is super low but they expect
a collector car to not be used on a regular basis. I think its more of a major damage insurance. Local insurance companies are for this type
of claim. Just my opinion but what does it cost you? 300 per year?
Don't be surprised if your rates change drastically. It will basically take
them 10 years to recover on your claim. Just my humble opinion

Get notified of new replies

To Got the estimate for my paint damage

Quick Reply: Got the estimate for my paint damage