Sponsored by:

Redoing my seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM
ozzyrulesme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redoing my seats

Cant beleive how rusty the seat frames can get... Sandblasted the frames, straighted the bottom frame, made new braces welded them on, and primed and painted them.(the date on the picture is wrong. lol just did them..)

IMG]http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/ozzyrulesme1948/seats/seats016.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't stop there! I want to see you pulling the covers on and hog ringing them. Everything right to the finish. I've been putting off new seat covers and foam for quite a while, and maybe if I see that it can be done successfully I'll give it a try. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane4238
Don't stop there! I want to see you pulling the covers on and hog ringing them. Everything right to the finish. I've been putting off new seat covers and foam for quite a while, and maybe if I see that it can be done successfully I'll give it a try. Good luck!
I didn`t use hog rings I used plastic electrical zip ties and they are so much easier.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
sokoloka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get your new seat foams / covers from?
How would you rate the overall difficulty of the task?

Interior is one of the things next on my to-do list and this will be my first time doing upholstery work.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My foams were in really good shape so I reused them. I just sandblated the frames primed and painted them. The big seat stops that are in the back needed to be heated and worked easily back and forth to keep them from wringing off but if you go slow you can get them out. My covers came from Corvette America. It`s really not a bad job I did one on sat and one on sunday. I had just done a pair of Austin Healey 3000 seats that were a real bitch to get right but next to them the Vette seats were a piece of cake. Get new wires and use plastic zip ties and they will look great. I got a spray can of black dye to spray the hard seat back and mine looked great.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 PM
ozzyrulesme
Racer

Originally Posted by sokoloka
Where did you get your new seat foams / covers from?
How would you rate the overall difficulty of the task?

Interior is one of the things next on my to-do list and this will be my first time doing upholstery work.
I bought the foam and covers from wilcox. i love dealing withe them...I haven't got to the task of putting the covers on yet. this weekend.

Last edited by ozzyrulesme; 10-26-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 PM
ozzyrulesme
Racer

Originally Posted by Skip Burney
I didn`t use hog rings I used plastic electrical zip ties and they are so much easier.
Thats a thought. Are they still holding up? how long have the been together? just mite go that route...
Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 PM
ozzyrulesme
Racer

Originally Posted by Duane4238
Plane on putting the covers on this weekend. will post pic. when done...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Zip ties? Easier than hog rings? Not if you have the right pliers. But, either will do the job.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Zip ties? Easier than hog rings? Not if you have the right pliers. But, either will do the job.
You guys aren't really serious about zip ties in place of hog rings are you?
I feel a bubba moment about to happen.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
BryanB75
Racer

Another seat redo subscription for me. I have my new foam and covers in the box. Waiting until hunting is over before I attempt.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by BryanB75
Another seat redo subscription for me. I have my new foam and covers in the box. Waiting until hunting is over before I attempt.
Make sure you post pictures! Of the seats and the deer(elk?)!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
BryanB75
Racer

Whitetail doe deer this weekned. Elk season for me isn't until mid Nov
Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I have only done ONE set of seats and never used hog rings before. Made sure i bought the pliers....and it was a piece of cake.

I would be concerned about the zip ties becoming brittle over time and snapping, or wearing thin if they move around a bit and snapping.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Oz,
Last year I wanted to rebuild one of my seat from my 70 coupe cause I've never rebuilt one before and found it pretty easy if you allow yourself time to do so. Mine had a little rust but not to bad and I sanded and buffed it all off then primed and painted. I replaced all the old springs in the base and back sections. Once I had all the hardware all cleaned up and polished and or painted I placed the covers outside in the sun for a few hours prior to installing to soak up the heat which is the trick. The day I placed the covers on the frames was sometime in october and only about 70 degrees out and streched very well over the foam and frame and was easy to handle.
I used hog rings and after doing the seat and know how to do one now, I guess you could go with the tie wraps but think they may break down after time and wear.
Heres some pic's of my seats when I rebuilt mine. On a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty they where about a 4 but installing the new springs on the frame was about a 6 maybe.

You can see the foam and the covers where wore out.

I made sure I had all the hardware seperated and polished and or repainted before I installed the foam and the covers cause I want these seats to last another 30 to 40 years if possible.
Hope this helps.
GG
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Al Knoch sells a DVD showing seat cover installation. I watched the same man that was on the DVD install my seat covers at Pomona, Ca last June.

Before watching the DVD, I tried myself and wasn't able. I didn't understand it takes a lot of forearm and hand muscle power to push the foam down and pull the seat covers over the foam seat cushion. Also, where the foam seat cusion mates up around the seat frame, the installer used a bread knife to trim a little of the foam away to help curl the seat covers under the frame.

The bread knife makes trimming the foam easy. I always wondered how your trim that stuff. Make sure you don't trim too much.

I de-rusted my frames by soaking them in vinegar. Made a fiberglass trough to dip them in. Then I sprayed them with Eastwood "ceramic" frame paint.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:00 PM
flaco1801
Racer

seems most of the seats are rusted...how does that happen? are they coated when new?

Get notified of new replies

To Redoing my seats

Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by flaco1801
seems most of the seats are rusted...how does that happen? are they coated when new?
the problem starts out almost from new, they 'all leak and moisture trapped under the seats over time kills the frames. They dont get a chance to dry out with sound deadeners and other bright idea fixes incorporated into areas where water is under the carpets and seats....If the seat frames are bad its logical there's rust throughout the Vette....just because there plastic is not a defense against the elements.....
Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
the problem starts out almost from new, they 'all leak and moisture trapped under the seats over time kills the frames. They dont get a chance to dry out with sound deadeners and other bright idea fixes incorporated into areas where water is under the carpets and seats....If the seat frames are bad its logical there's rust throughout the Vette....just because there plastic is not a defense against the elements.....
What do you know about seats?
You'd think Al Knoch was your brother or something.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Talcolm powder over the foam help with pulling the covers into place.

Quick Reply: Redoing my seats