C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at this '72, whats a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I like it. Nice color and looks clean. If it has all that work/money invested, probably pretty reliable driver for years to come. Hard to beat those fender Gills from the 68/69 years....
Old 03-28-2011, 03:04 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin:

I'm in Frederick also...and MAYBE I'll see you at the local cruse inns this summer either in Hagerstown or in Mt Airy....and see the car up close and personal....

By 72 is running a '68 327 350 in it ..and has been since the late 1970's when I blew the motor at Mason Dixon drag strip and to be quite honest I like the WRONG engine under the hood much much better then the Original engine and as so I value the car more now then I would if it still had the original engne ...

This car was not run hard....as least not nearly as hard as mine had been in its first 10 years of it lift....the center consul /shifter area is NOT BENT like mine is .... from me ... slamming it into 3rd gear

I call that my cars badge of honor...!!!!

I still say 27 is too high ...20 I honestly could see

Bob G.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 1969RAY
...for that amount of cash, I would want to see the car myself to varify the details. That's worth a trip to where ever the car is...

Spriing for a plane ticket.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:59 PM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for everyones input. I added some more pictures, including undercarriage shots.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

As the owner of a heavily modified 72 I like this car. It is tastefully done and if all the mechanicals are in working condition I say go for it. If you like how it is done then all that expensive work is already done for you. I know how much I have in mine and this is a bargain for what time and money he has into it IF the car is what it says it is. Looks like a real nice driver.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM
z10kl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by briaineo
good eye!
Stevey Wonder could have seen that
Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinG
Thanks for all the input guys.

Lets say I could pick up the car for $24k and the car was solid/quality restored. Would that be a decent deal? Personally I am not looking for a trailer queen/bloomington gold 'vette. Just something in great shape that I won't be afraid of driving.
No, it wouldnt be a decent deal. There's nothing wrong with buying modified cars if thats what you like. What wrong is paying original prices. Well, actually, $24k-$27k is ridiculously high for just about any stock '72 coupe, let alone one thats all custom. You are in convertible territory.

You will always find someone who tells you to "buy what you want" but if you want a modified car make that work FOR you. All those modifications deduct from the value, not add to it. $24k is throwing money away.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Vettebuyer, I usually don't disagree with most of your pricing on buying cars and don't totally disagree with you on this but, If it has the mods he already wants and it is done to what he wants it might be a good deal. If he were to buy a unmodded nice car and then do all the mods he wants it would cost him a lot more to get the same results. The seller always takes a bath on the mods but the buyer can make out on some of this. If he wants a 406 motor with a 5 speed this is going to cost him considerable money to do this even if he does the work. If he has it already done to the car there is no time and the cost is going to be less. I agree 27K for this car is to much and the mods for some does lower the price but I certainly would not rule this car out IF it is exactly what he wants. It does give him some bargaining power.

I think he should go look at it, he may see it and say this is not for me. He should also take an unbiased person who has no stake in the car. he might see it and get the excited bug and buy it just on excitement. I have talked a few out of deals tha tthey would have been sorry with had they bought the car. All they saw was a Vette. All I saw was a money pit.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Received 567 Likes on 207 Posts

I think it's a GREAT looking car. I would tho try to get it closer to 22 - 24 K. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 PM
john 72-04
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969RAY
I'm always surprised at how we, corvette owners, talk down the price of these cars.
Sure, those of you who have numbers matching, NCRS, ready cars and interest, I understand, your intrest is auction value.
But most of us have bought something less than that, spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to make our car dependable and our own.
That commitment is not for everybody. Some want to buy and drive.
If KevinG buys this car and drives it right from the get-go, he's time and money ahead.
We all for the most part, have more money in our cars than they're worth and that includes NCRS owners too.
This is a hobby not a money making investment, certainly for most, not a good money making investment.
My point is that for some, this is a great deal and a far more economical way of owning a classic corvette
than being the guy that puts 32K into his project, is so sick of working on it and spending all his extra cash, that he sells it for a loss.
Well said. I have said on this forum before that we are the worst for driving down prices by constantly telling everyone who will listen these cars aren't worth squat. This car is not my cup of tea but it certainly looks like a quality piece and in my opinion probably worth the $24k he is willing to pay. It's evident he likes the looks and most likely the car is mechanically sound , this could be a turn key and go car for very little out of pocket expense other then what you pay for it. Two years ago I overpaid for a base model coupe , I paid $24k knowing full well it was probably too much. I talked it down $4k from $28k to $24k and the owner was happy and so was I. The two years since have been great , just as I thought the car was a mechanically sound all original #'s matching car with great cosmetics. No documentation no nothing just a real nice car. Because the car was what I wanted I have no more then about $500.00 in it in the two years and 10k miles I have put on it. This car is more reliable then the new sh%#t I drive. So in the end , if you like it and it's what you want , it checks out as advertised , GO FOR IT. Eventually it will get you back your $24k if you are patient and you keep it up.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

No matter what you decide to pay,.....GO LOOK AT IT IN PERSON !!!!!!!!!!
I've looked at some really nice cars on EBAY. The photos made the paint, interiors, undercarriage, etc. look beautiful. When I saw them in person, I nearly puked. You can't tell condition from pictures. If you're gonna spend good money, then spend a little up front and go see the car. Good luck with your decision.
Duane
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 PM
psycho dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, go see it first! I drove 60 miles last year to look at a "restored"
442. There was a hole in the firewall, the paint had several sags, and when I opened the trunk I could see the driveway though the holes in the pan. He said he didn't want to replace the pan because it was orginal It also had the an incorrect carb and breather housing, but just kept insisting it was original.
The point is, don't trust anyone when they're describing their car for sale, and don't trust the pics. You need to see it in person and at least pull the kick panels and see how much "surface rust" your're dealing with.
I also think $27k is way too much.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 AM
dgr72vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z10kl
Stevey Wonder could have seen that
Before or after he edited and added a close-up pic?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

If you really like it dont worry what others think.Buy it,drive it,and enjoy it...
Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 263 Likes on 210 Posts

it would not be unreasonable nor insulting to offer the seller 80% of the asking price, which would be 21600..
Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Mostly original. Some modest...but attractive...mods. Good paint and well cared for. Worth around $22-25K, IMO. If you like it, make the best deal you can get.

The seller cares how much he has invested in the car over the years....but that is of little interest to a buyer. Those expenses are only of value to the buyer if they added something that the buyer really wants.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I finally got a hold of the owner selling it. Heres some more info I got
-reason for sale: has a child and wants to find a '69 Camaro for the family to ride in.
-no stock engine available
-no rust holes on undercarriage, only light surface rust
-bird cage was treated and repaired during frame off restoration
-interior rated at 8.5-9 out of 10. all guages work just needs seatbelts (fraying)
-spare parts available: oem side vents, rear bumper, air vents & tail lamp lens
-weatherstripping in ok shape
-larger rotors/calipers installed, stock wheels no longer fit
-not a perfect car and not a bad car - has been on highways across states - claims is very reliable & loud (with sidepipes)
-Does not have a problem with inspection from a local corvette forum member

-Asking price is $25k, he has had offers of $23k, $24k, but he won't go any lower he says, has over $70k put into the car in the past 20 years hes owned it.

Think I should line up an inspection and see what the faults are first before giving him an offer?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at this '72, whats a fair price?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

If you are interested at $25K, a professional inspection would be in order. Also, get the VIN and call the state police for any 'negative' info on that VIN.

Make sure that all of the seatbelt hardware is present with the sale. Replacing the webbing is not really a difficult or expensive task...replacing the hardware is.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you really care if the owner dropped some very serious money into the car.... I know I would NOT...that his his problem NOT yours...

Offer him a price that you are comfortable with and if he balks just walk away...

Its a nice car from the pictures and one that is easily worth 20 K in my opinion BUT the bottom line is that what the owner has into it means absolutely nothing to you... Cash talks more then offers...

Bob G.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 24695bob
Do you really care if the owner dropped some very serious money into the car.... I know I would NOT...that his his problem NOT yours...

Offer him a price that you are comfortable with and if he balks just walk away...

Its a nice car from the pictures and one that is easily worth 20 K in my opinion BUT the bottom line is that what the owner has into it means absolutely nothing to you... Cash talks more then offers...

Bob G.

This is the best advice you can get on a car like this.

People used to build cars because it was a hobby and they liked it. Like most hobbies, whatever you spend to make yourself happy was lost money.

Then the "restoration business" began and everyone thinks they are entitled to recover every dollar spent and make a profit, too.

Sadly, like many businesses, there are good choices and bad choices. If you put the money into a good choice, you hopefully will come out ahead. If you put it into a bad choice, then you lose.

Examples:

Put $20,000 into restoring a 1973 Pinto. Bad choice.

Put $20,000 into restoring a 435 hp '67 Corvette. Good choice.

But this is NOT a restoration. It is a refurbishment of a car, and then customizing it to the owner's likes. So he spent money to make himself happy, not you.

Also everyone's financial situation is different. I know people who would write a check and never haggle a cent today if they liked it. Others couldn't do it if the price was in half. So what some consider a good deal is different than others. I agree with most, it is much higher than the norm, BUT then Corvette asking prices have taken a dramatic leap here in the last few weeks for some reason.

If you like it, are financially able, and want to buy it, then buy it. Don't expect to get the same money back out when you sell. Many think cars are an investment, but like all real investments, they are really a gamble whether you make or lose money.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 03-30-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking at this '72, whats a fair price?