Sponsored by:

Glass T Top for my 79

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 PM
pbbergs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass T Top for my 79

I am thinking of getting a glass top for my dark blue t top but don't know what I should get?
It seems there are three choices available:
1) Blue Acrylic
2) Glass Black
3) Mirrored Glass

I live in northern Minnesota so it rarely even gets to 90, so I am thinking the car will get warmer from the sun in late afternoon. Seems like I can rarely get the top off since we get a lot of cold lake winds from Lake Superior (Yearly avg lake temp 35 degrees).

Thoughts on what each type will provide and its durability?

Thanks

Paul
Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The acrylics are more durable. They're not as likely to crack, but they will get scratches. The acrylic tops are cheaper too.

Both the black and mirrored glass tops, can crack if dropped, bumped, etc. They also cost about 25-30% more than the acrylic ones. Personally I feel that the glass ones just look better, and seem like more of a quality product, but this is just an observation. If your trying to stay stock, the mirrored glass tops are the only thing GM ever used on the Corvette. Original 79 mirrored tops, had a slight blue tint to them, though I think the only glass repro available, has more of a gray or pure silver look to it (more like the 81-82 tops).

All of the tops will increase the head room in your car, and make it feel bigger and airier inside, when compared to the solid painted tops.

The mirrored glass ones will probably keep the interior cooler on a hot day in bright sunshine, than the blue or black ones, but that may not be a plus where you live.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 PM
pbbergs
Instructor

Default T Top

This is exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks

Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Chuck Briley
2nd Gear

does anyone know where i can get a repalcement mirroed glass t-top for the drivers side of my 79 Corvette c-3. replacement glass maybe. my frame is still good. Any help would be great. thanks Chuck.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Chuck Briley
2nd Gear

I am looking for a mirrored glass t-top for the drivers side of my 79 C-3 Corvette.
My frame is not damaged so maybe the replacement glass itself. Any help would be great. Thanks all, Chuck Briley from Sebastian Fl.

Get notified of new replies

To Glass T Top for my 79

Quick Reply: Glass T Top for my 79