Sponsored by:

Failed Restorations

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failed Restorations

I've read countless posts about owners starting frame-off restorations. We follow in pictures while the car is disassembled or stripped of paint. Then nothing. We never hear from them again. I'm just assume another failed restoration.

It is much, much easier to take a car apart then put back together. That is probably 5% of the job. I'm thinking owners get over their heads not realizing the amount of work required. That is the quickest way to lose interest when the hobby becomes a dreaded full-time job consuming all free time. Or maybe the owner ran out of money.

Props to all of you who successfully completed a restoration.
I admire you. I bet more C-3 Corvettes are permanently taken off the road by failed restorations rather than accidents.

What percentage of body-off restorations fail? I'm guessing 70%?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

70% seems pretty high.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

I dont know I am restoring a car I never posted pictures . I dont need ncrs looking over my shoulders and I like to take my time..I always ask for advise and find this fourm very helpful ,These cars are like giant puzzles some times you just have to walk away form it for a while and regroup your thoughts ,,I must agree with you some people walk away from there cars but then again if they didnt we would not have a parts supply!!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 211 Posts

mine failed, started in 2003, gave up 2007 after it sat in the garage for 2 years with parts in tubs in the attic. got an pretty penny for the basket case.. frame was shot, rust in all the usual places...

yup, kid in sports, overtime at work.. no way i was going to find 2000 hours to complete the job.

sold it and bought a completed car. it is absolutely true that you can buy someone else's restored car for alot less than you can restore yours. I came out many thousands ahead and saved the 2000
hours.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

My limited restoration (interior, exhaust, and now suspension) has taken very much of my time. I just can't imagine what it would take to do a frame-off.

My one rule? Keep it drivable!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by forman
...I dont need ncrs looking over my shoulders...
They don't. No need to feel spooky about it.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a good thread . Assuming you are talking about first timers , I would guess about 70% fail also . What about the restorations that look complete but dont perform well at all and are unsafe ?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 PM
shrekviper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arkus
What about the restorations that look complete but dont perform well at all and are unsafe ?
Now we're talking about Bubba
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Define 'restorations'? Rehabing an interior...refreshing an engine...redoing suspension & brakes...paint. Is that a "restoration"? What are you pointing at? Body-off??? Let's establish an understood set of ground rules before we all start shooting from the hip...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless the car ends up buried in weeds with a tree growing up through the floorboards, I suspect that most "failed" restorations (where the base car is worth the effort) might pass from owner to owner for a couple or more cycles, but eventually wind up back on the road again. I have reconditioned many many "project" vehicles in my time, starting with vintage British sports cars, then graduating to Datsun (yes Datsun... pre-Nissan) Z-cars, followed by a number of years doing vintage Triumph motorcycles... and now my first Corvette. Those projects mostly started as "projects" in varying completion for the POs as well. I have never cared to afford complete ready to register and drive projects because the cars are not a family priority in this house... I build what I can afford using side work as funding. Lost interest and a fed-up life partner have garnered me some killer deals on vehicles I could not otherwise even consider!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:16 PM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

Originally Posted by markids77
Unless the car ends up buried in weeds with a tree growing up through the floorboards, I suspect that most "failed" restorations (where the base car is worth the effort) might pass from owner to owner for a couple or more cycles, but eventually wind up back on the road again. I have reconditioned many many "project" vehicles in my time, starting with vintage British sports cars, then graduating to Datsun (yes Datsun... pre-Nissan) Z-cars, followed by a number of years doing vintage Triumph motorcycles... and now my first Corvette. Those projects mostly started as "projects" in varying completion for the POs as well. I have never cared to afford complete ready to register and drive projects because the cars are not a family priority in this house... I build what I can afford using side work as funding. Lost interest and a fed-up life partner have garnered me some killer deals on vehicles I could not otherwise even consider!
I 've found my '69 with 3 previous owners had some prior work done which saved me from having to do major work if it had not been kept up with over it's first 40 years.

I use all sidework money on my cars as well and follow a priority list for repairs/replacement, etc. as I drive them.

It's also a good stress reliever to go out to the garage and work on the car - as long as you leave and take a break when something's not coming together as planned, etc. and come back to it later with a clear head.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

I'm betting the number is higher....

Look around Craigslist, Autotrader, Ebay classifieds, etc, etc, and you'll find thousands of projects.

Project.

Another word for failed restoration, forgotten relic, junk yard selling some very old rusted out hulk..
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, tell me about it; after 3 yrs of body work, just laid down epoxy primer today...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gkz
Yeah, tell me about it; after 3 yrs of body work, just laid down epoxy primer today...
Congratulations. I would call your car a successful restoration.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

It's easy to get overwhelmed staring at piles of greasy, rusty parts and being a million miles away from actually driving the thing. Twice I was offered tempting trades for my car when it was completely apart. Once for a black '66 SS Chevelle and once for a Ducati 998s. REALLY glad I kept and finished (LOL)! mine. Quite a sense of accomplishment!

Last edited by Mick71; 06-16-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 AM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine will be done when it is done. I lose interest and put it on the back burner then will get the bug and can't stop working on it. Money is an issue to. The key is to not have a deadline.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:29 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

I took mine apart in 1992, frame off. It is just now becoming roadworthy again, far from done. It sat apart for many years, no work being done for several. For me the delay was arrival of kids, new house, and comfortability spending money on this hobby which is mainly for me, not much in it for the rest of the family. Now much depends on confidence in the economy. Some years I spend a bit and make some good progress, others I find myself holding back.

Get notified of new replies

To Failed Restorations

Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

when i started mine i made a decision to make it a street car that i can drive and not get pissed if it gets scratched....so it's not a trailer queen but built to be a cruiser... i also limited my funds into the project.... but there were times where i wanted to bail on it
Old 06-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I think the number of "must sell, lost interest" cars is distorted because those are the cars we hear about. There are many cars that dissappear into garages and pop out years later...done.
I agree that many people find that it's far more work than they thought, and takes far longer than they thought.
I think there are people working on restoring a car for whom it's not a race to get it done, or don't always need to have a drivable car.
There are many people I've met that have gotten great pleasure from doing a complete restoration.
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with alan as always . Here is a thought , would you buy a car that has been frame off restored by an unknown person ? if the car was taken completely apart and put back together , wouldn't you want to know who did it ? Unless you did it yourself and know exactly how it was put together , I would want to know who did it and I would like to have heard of them before . Nabors or a well known experienced shop ?

Quick Reply: Failed Restorations