Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALL THIS over a corroded fuse terminal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Default ALL THIS over a corroded fuse terminal?

My last post was how my turn signals stopped working......I spent every waking moment sat and sunday under that dash. The fuse was good, the relay was good, the switch was good. 12 volts from the hot side, continuity from the open side....nothing made sense. It all looked good on the voltmeter, but when you powered it up, no flasher. I pulled the entire fusebox down and started looking for some crazy short. Nothing. Checked voltage with the fuse installed and noticed it would jump from 1 to 5 volts as I moved it....upon closer inspection the inside of the clips were tarnished. No amount of cleaning would give me proper conductivity. I had to replace the terminals (a whole other search for parts unto itself) but Ive FINALLY got it all working again.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 PM
wgarneau
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you did - and glad I followed along so that the next time I see something I can't explain I've got another place to look!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the update, yes, corrosion can cause difficult to solve problems. Remember that connectors (spades etc) can invite invisible corrosion. The electrons literary have to jump the gap from one connector to the other, corrosion prevents good conductivity. Glad you found it.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Its been a tense 3 days around my place. I get obsessed with a problem like this. My fingers are torn to ribbons from messing around under that dash, my neck hurts and my back is sore. Im just really happy I found it, as I was about to just wire in my own separate circuit.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 PM
thatcorvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

It's working, thats good news.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Scottd, since you and I had been commiserating on your original thread, I'm hoping I can be as successful as you find my issue PDQ! Do you have pictures of the fuse panel corrosion you can post? Looking @ mine, they all look rusted, but haven't gotten to the point of pulling the panel off the firewall for closer inspection. What exactly did you replace and where did you find the parts?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I'm really glad that you didn't turn into "Bubba"....
Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

You must have done something seriously wrong. This kind of problem usually always turns into a while I was at it and next you know a body off resto . Glad you got it fixed.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I'm really glad that you didn't turn into "Bubba"....
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
Scottd, since you and I had been commiserating on your original thread, I'm hoping I can be as successful as you find my issue PDQ! Do you have pictures of the fuse panel corrosion you can post? Looking @ mine, they all look rusted, but haven't gotten to the point of pulling the panel off the firewall for closer inspection. What exactly did you replace and where did you find the parts?
I could barely fit under there, nonetheless take pictures. The Fuse for my signals has two sides. The left had red coming in, the right had 2 blue coming out. The red side was a double terminal that also supplied power to my instrument cluster. (I know, this IS useless without pics) Anyways, the terminals were non existent, but I found a 'fuse block replacement' at pep boys for 4.99 that the EXACT terminals I needed. (Chevy dealer looked at me cross eyed!) If yours are corroded, try to find a way to clean them off first, as this job was MISERABLE.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Glass tube type fuses or Little fuses ?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

post the replacement fuse block info. others will need them.
brand part# should be on the receipt. thanks !
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
I could barely fit under there, nonetheless take pictures. The Fuse for my signals has two sides. The left had red coming in, the right had 2 blue coming out. The red side was a double terminal that also supplied power to my instrument cluster. (I know, this IS useless without pics) Anyways, the terminals were non existent, but I found a 'fuse block replacement' at pep boys for 4.99 that the EXACT terminals I needed. (Chevy dealer looked at me cross eyed!) If yours are corroded, try to find a way to clean them off first, as this job was MISERABLE.
This doo hickey?
Dorman - Conduct-Tite Fuse Block - Glass Holds 4 Glass Fuses
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRP2020A_____#
Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

How I tell you all what the deal is, ....GM used steel fuse holding clips for the mechanical action of holding the fuse.,.....now they used brass crimped on the copper wire to then be riveted to the fuse clips and then the bakelite base was in between....I forget the exact arrangement, but you had dissimilar metals in direct contact....

it was inside, but if exposed to excess moisture over years, they fail....

the typical example is the higher amp draw fuses get hot and actually melt the solder joints INSIDE the fuse...from HEAT at the bad connection from fuse to CLIP.....

BTDT, proved it more than once, pants down caught it....

and of course the heat can ALSO be generated at the base of the clip from joining with the brass/copper....

IMO, replace the thing with a modern plastic fuse holder, and use those modern fuses.....

you want reliability, that's IT.....

Get notified of new replies

To ALL THIS over a corroded fuse terminal?

Quick Reply: ALL THIS over a corroded fuse terminal?