Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69' side exhaust performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a set of 69 installed on my 70. The original owner had them and a luggage rack dealer installed. I plan on going stock when the wallet allows.
pluses;
They do do give the car an aggressive and menacing look. Also the sound is a lot sweeter than under car exhaust.
Minuses; As stated, the sound is sweet, but with the t-tops in and on anything but a just down the raod some, well, it can get annoying. Also the heat transference can be terrible in warm weather.
You also better get used to smelling like exhaust when you leave the car.
My 2 cents, if you are young then the aggravation is probably worth the cool factor.
But if you have some age on you(53) that does not take long to reverse that equation.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Makonut
I have a set of 69 installed on my 70. The original owner had them and a luggage rack dealer installed. I plan on going stock when the wallet allows.
pluses;
They do do give the car an aggressive and menacing look. Also the sound is a lot sweeter than under car exhaust.
Minuses; As stated, the sound is sweet, but with the t-tops in and on anything but a just down the raod some, well, it can get annoying. Also the heat transference can be terrible in warm weather.
You also better get used to smelling like exhaust when you leave the car.
My 2 cents, if you are young then the aggravation is probably worth the cool factor.
But if you have some age on you(53) that does not take long to reverse that equation.
I have a '69 w/factory pipes and can say that at 46 I still love them. I smell like exhaust even before I get in the car though so the smell isn't a big deal to me.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Do you have pics of the received sweet thunder 2.5" baffle system pipes ?

Realy interested if this is a straight pipe muffler system or again a reverse flow system like the original 69 muffler system.

Rgds. Günther
Old 10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
billsblue73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 69 covers with the pipes from a 67 BB. The 67 was a less restrictive chambered exhaust, but they can be pretty loud, as in can't hear the radio. But they sound really sweet.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by billsblue73
I have the 69 covers with the pipes from a 67 BB. The 67 was a less restrictive chambered exhaust, but they can be pretty loud, as in can't hear the radio. But they sound really sweet.
That is the system that was suggested to me by an expert, which I chose not to follow. Allen's will sell you the '67 chambered mufflers with '69 exhaust pipes and outlets shipped loose, for fitment and tack welding on the car. They will also make you a deal on a set of new repro '69 covers for $2k. Probably a quieter way to go if factory correct appearance is not important. Once again, the problem with side exhaust is the restriction due to the 90 degree non-mandrel bends in the exhaust pipes.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:33 PM
blk406
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WESCH
Hi

Do you have pics of the received sweet thunder 2.5" baffle system pipes ?

Realy interested if this is a straight pipe muffler system or again a reverse flow system like the original 69 muffler system.

Rgds. Günther
No I don't have pics of the actual system but it looks just like the original 69 system with reverse flow. It's not a straight pipe system.

Works for me though. Looks great, sounds great, and honestly don't think there was any performance loss.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know that this thread is discussing performance, but I did do a little modification to my Allen's side exhaust to help w/ exhaust smell. I put the in line catalytic converters that are 4" in diameter and it really cut down on the exhaust fumes. Very little change in sound, but you can stand right at the outlet now and you do not reek like gas/exhaust. Friends and family like taking a ride even more now.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:33 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billsblue73
I ran this setup on my 71 LT-1 and it was LOUD.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by MalibuVLX
I know that this thread is discussing performance, but I did do a little modification to my Allen's side exhaust to help w/ exhaust smell. I put the in line catalytic converters that are 4" in diameter and it really cut down on the exhaust fumes. Very little change in sound, but you can stand right at the outlet now and you do not reek like gas/exhaust. Friends and family like taking a ride even more now.
I'd love to see a pic of that setup. After a ride, I smell just enough of gas to anoy my wife.

I have the stock style pipes and agree that they are a little loud for my residential neighborhood. Once I get on the highway it's fine though. Not sure where that puts me on Makonut's age scale

Quick Reply: 69' side exhaust performance