Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uncomfortable seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking the exact same thing. I love my seats, I have driven 100's of miles and still comfy. I think every seat is an arbitrary thing, there is no "One seat fits all" apparrantly....
Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
I hated the stock seats in my '71. Swapped in '91 seats. Better, but not that much. Went to 79-82 seats with 4" bolsters. Perfect. But I'm 5'10", 160 lbs, which is probably the exact body type they were designed for!

Just picked up a '12 Boss 302 with the recaro seats. WOW! Wish those puppies fit in the C3.
Actually they do fit... at least the LS seats do...

I purchased a set of these in 1979 for my '69 BOSS 302... Car Craft did a terrific write up on these seats back then and I just fell in love with them. Just about the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I sold the car in 1991 and the buyer preferred the original seats so I kept them for a new project. A few years later I bought new brackets and installed them in my '73 convertible. I had to reverse the seats, pass to driver etc, because the adjuster hit the door panel, but it cleared the console perfectly.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures and few years later I did a body-off on the car and redid the original seats. The Recaro's are sitting on a shelf waiting for the next project... At one time Recaro offered brackets to mount these things in most any car.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was it much toruble installing? Price?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 AM
boatmark
Advanced

Question for the guys running the C5-C6 seats - Where do they position you in the car relative to the stock seats. I am 6'2" and long from shoulder to waist, and in the photos it always seems that the seats are higher off the floor, and closer to the wheel than stock.

I am looking to gain room. What I would really like is to cut out the structure, and move the stock seat back about 4" - But would not actually do it.

I made little wood blocks that fit between the upper and lower on my stock seats, makes my back much happier.

What say the owners of late model seats?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Originally Posted by boatmark
Question for the guys running the C5-C6 seats - Where do they position you in the car relative to the stock seats. I am 6'2" and long from shoulder to waist, and in the photos it always seems that the seats are higher off the floor, and closer to the wheel than stock.

I am looking to gain room. What I would really like is to cut out the structure, and move the stock seat back about 4" - But would not actually do it.

I made little wood blocks that fit between the upper and lower on my stock seats, makes my back much happier.

What say the owners of late model seats?
I mounted my C5 seats to the C3 tracks, and they definitely sit higher than the stock seats, somewhere around 1.5 to 2 inches. I'm 5'11", and with the tops on, I'd be cramped if I were a little taller.

If you mount them directly to the floorboards, you may be able to avoid the added height, but I don't think you could actually gain any room with them.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Trae1976
I mounted my C5 seats to the C3 tracks, and they definitely sit higher than the stock seats, somewhere around 1.5 to 2 inches. I'm 5'11", and with the tops on, I'd be cramped if I were a little taller.

If you mount them directly to the floorboards, you may be able to avoid the added height, but I don't think you could actually gain any room with them.
I'm 6'1" and did the same as the quote, perfect for my wife who is 5'3", the only time it bugs me is at at stoplight where I have to look over the windshield (top down) or duck and look through the glass as I look directly into the top of the frame and sun visors. I also had to install a tilt tele to properly fit my legs under the wheel. This may read worse than it actually is. Given the increased comfort and support I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 PM
RHT
Intermediate

I've put C6 seats in my 78. Definately sits 1-1.5 inches higher but my old seats were shot so it would probably be about 1 inch higher than a good set of original seats
Mounted the seats to the original C3 tracks to reduce height. Tried to keep the electrics but made it too high.
I'm 5'10' and it's just right for me. Also have glass tops so no headlining to worry about.
Great seats and very comfortable. Huge improvement on the old seats.

Robert

Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
VetteV8
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alswagg
In our 81, we have the leather 6 way power seats. When you initially set in they feel great, but after a long road trip. 2 hrs or more, they start to become really uncomfortable. I noticed if I pivoted the back up slightly, my hips felt a little better. I cannot figure out a really good way to adjust the pivot of the split back., Need some input. Any idea's????? I have placed a spacer between the bottom base and the back at the split area, 1/2" and the seat feels much better to me. Al
I see this thread just now, and I fully understand what's being said.
I have an identical car and just do not like laying back, while driving.
However I have made a no-cost mod, which involves a little welding, and an lathe will help, but not essential at all.
The mod is to alter the rake of the backrest, and this can be adjusted to the way you like it.
All you need is a few pieces of 3/8 or 10mm round steel stock and 2 socket screws 1/4 or 6mm.
The entire mod is not visible when the seat is in the normal position, only when the backrest is pulled forward. The standard latching of the backrest is not affected and still works normally [a requirement for the annual test over here]
If there is some interest, I can write up what I did, and have a number of photographs of the mod, while in process.
It's not the ultimate solution, like other/better seats might be, but acceptable for now, the more since my seats are in really good shape.
Cor
Old 07-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Tlingdell
2nd Gear

Default C5 seats in a C3 Corvette

Originally Posted by Raphiki
Installed C5 seats in my '70. World of difference! Now I can drive somewhere other than my chiropractor!
I know it has been a little while but did you need to do serious reconfigurations to the seat track to make the C5 fit the C3? Any extra info would be helpful. I am starting my search for the C5 seats.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Tlingdell
I know it has been a little while but did you need to do serious reconfigurations to the seat track to make the C5 fit the C3? Any extra info would be helpful. I am starting my search for the C5 seats.
I ended up mounting my seat directly to the floor without the tracks. With the tracks the seats sat a bit too high and I kept hitting my head on the t-tops every time I hit a bump - and there are a lot of bumps in Illinois!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Tlingdell
2nd Gear

Default C5 seats in a C3 seat belt?

Originally Posted by Raphiki
I ended up mounting my seat directly to the floor without the tracks. With the tracks the seats sat a bit too high and I kept hitting my head on the t-tops every time I hit a bump - and there are a lot of bumps in Illinois!
I like the idea of the extra headroom - I am 6' 2". Just a question, what seat belts did you use? Stock C3 or some modification?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you use the sport seats there is an opening in the seat back that you can pass the C3 seat belts through. Mine are the standard seats so I had to mount a bracket from a Camaro to the pillar behind the seat to hold the belt. I ended up using seat belts from the rear of a '92(?) Camaro.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:27 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I've used a lumbar cushion in mine for 25 years.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I tried the lumbar support but could never find one that fit well. C5 seats also provide better lateral support and just felt right.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Default Seat up cmfort

Originally Posted by Tim81
I have the same problem with my 81. The seat back is reclined to far back, feels like I'm driving laying down. I cut some heater hose to length and split it down the middle, I cover the lower half and bottom of the upper half with the hose, raise the back up about 1/4 of a inch, its better but I'd like to go another 1/4 of a inch...Tim
My '79 is just like that, I feel like I'm a race car driver. I'm 6'1" and can't see out of the thing. I have to scrunch down to see out of the rear view mirror. The flares over the rear wheels block my view of the side mirrors. I can't remember my '69 being that bad (I was 6'2" then). I really need to find a way to cant the seats forward. Did you get any other ideas from the Forum?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 06-28-2017, 04:00 PM
tomvr
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

My 78's seats are pretty comfortable. They are the last of the "plain" seats. All of my miles are long distance highway miles ranging from 300 to 600 miles round trip. I'm perfectly comfortable in the old style seats.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:24 PM
Retcwby
Heel & Toe

I'm 5'8 and my 79 seat backs are not tall enough for me, if I rest my head back I'm looking at the top of the windshield. I would like to replace them but not sure of the best way to go?

Get notified of new replies

To uncomfortable seats

Old 07-01-2017, 11:16 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Thought about this mod myself. I have a vert. And was curious how much taller they would look with the top down
Old 07-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Steve Dicarlo
1st Gear

Default Seat angle solved

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Thought about this mod myself. I have a vert. And was curious how much taller they would look with the top down
answer to a better seat angle

i welded a nut at a certaint point on both sides of hinge. See photo 👍
Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My stock 77 seats are as comfortable as any car seat I have ever sat in. I could drive a full tank of gas and still be fine. But truth is, we are all different people and I guess you just have to find a seat that works for you.

Quick Reply: uncomfortable seats