Sponsored by:

Big block or small block?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 AM
DAVID SLUDER
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Big block or small block?

I have been looking to purchase a 1969 vert, how can you tell if its a factory Big block or not, is there a number stamped on the car?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:01 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVID SLUDER
I have been looking to purchase a 1969 vert, how can you tell if its a factory Big block or not, is there a number stamped on the car?
Engine codes weren't included in the VIN until 1972.

First check would be the partial VIN on the stamp pad, should match the car. A tank sheet if available would list the big block as an installed option. Other clues are the tachometer, redline is different for big block, caps instead of U bolts fastening the half shafts to the differential. Rear sway bar, larger radiator, and a big block hood. The tank sheet and/or an original invoice, maybe a POP, are the best indicators of authenticity.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I have been looking to purchase a 1969 vert, how can you tell if its a factory Big block or not...
Original factory documentation with the car. Ask the seller what type of documentation is with the car. Look over the paperwork when you see the car.

Since the big block was an options package, any or all of the package could have been installed by a previous owner.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

in the absence of any documentation, there is no way to confirm. even with documentation, it could be faked. there are about 30 characteristics that differentiate small block cars and big block cars, all can be purchased in the after market.
the more of these 30 you have, then the more faith I would have that the car is what the owner thinks it is.

there is high motivation to fake 69 big block cars, and a good percentage of them are faked.

unless you are really into the numbers game and know what you are doing, then the best advice is to buy the best condition car car for the money and save the numbers game for your next car.

I played the numbers game in ignorance years ago and it caused me grief. Since then I have decided not to play the numbers game even though I know the game much much greater.

Last edited by joewill; 10-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:25 PM
DAVID SLUDER
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow what great information, thanks everybody for the input so far, I have found numerous cars that I like but have a small blocks in them, NOM is not an issue to me so maybe I can buy the car I like and install A BIGBLOCK.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Wow what great information, thanks everybody for the input so far, I have found numerous cars that I like but have a small blocks in them, NOM is not an issue to me so maybe I can buy the car I like and install A BIGBLOCK.
You got it! Another infamous fork in the road...do I take the "original" path or do I take the "modified" path. I just wish I had the money to do both, because they are equally valid. Just a question of money.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some other items were a rear sway bar and heavy duty caps on the half shafts U joints, not U straps. Of course, these could be swapped in as well.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you are not paying a premium price for a "guaranteed, numbers matching, completely factory-built and fully documented all-original car", who cares if it is factory installed or not. Just make sure the installation is done well and that it operates and performs as it should.

Get notified of new replies

To Big block or small block?

Quick Reply: Big block or small block?