Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default Winter storage

Hey Guys,

I have searched and read a few threads on winter storage, but they all tend to focus on one topic instead of giving a complete list of preparation. And some even contradict a little.

I have a 1980 corvette, I am a first time owner, and it will be stored in an unheated garage with a very big tarp draped over it.
What do I need to do?

I hear things like battery tender vs unhooking, empty fuel tank vs full vs some kind of preservative vs preservatives are not necessary anymore, carpet squares under the tires vs extra air, etc. I need to know what to do to prevent any future damage when I go to start it in the spring months.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This is probably what you are looking for

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/othe...r-storage.html
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Two things I would add:
First, instead of pulling the spark plugs and squirting with oil, I start the motor and spray "fogging oil" into the motor. This coats the entire inside of the motor. Fogging oil comes in a spray can and can be purchased at most auto parts store or a local marina. Most boats are done this way.
Fill the tank and add Sta-bil before doing this so you get fresh gas with stabilizer into the carb at the same time.
Second, spread down some plastic sheeting under the car. If you have some old carpet that will work even better. This keeps condensation from the concrete collecting on the under carriage of the car. The first time I had my car stored in my garage you could ice skate under the car from the moisture. I have also read that keeping a fan blowing under the car helps by keeping air moving.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in the same town as you and all I do is the battery tender, On nice days I like to drive mine thru the winter, keeps everything lubricated and up to snuff.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by sstopczy

Wow, that is a lot. Is all that really necessary? Half of the stuff listed on that check-sheet were never mentioned in other threads.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 11-01-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

All I do is take the battery completely out and put it on my workbench with the battery tender on it every couple of weeks until it's charged up.

My garage is semi heated so I dont fog the engine or do anything to the fuel. its only going to be a few months. If it was long term it would be different.

I would also recommend a soft cover or some bed sheets instead of a tarp. tarps seems like they can scratch the paint easier.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I read on another forum that I need to put carpet or plastic down under the car to prevent moisture coming through the concrete. What is that about? We have had things stored in this garage for years and they never seemed to get wet underneath them. One forum member said he could have skated with the amount of frozen water under his car. I have never heard of this. Opinions?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sstopczy

Talk about a combination of bad advice and overkill! That's frightening. Removing wheels? Overkill Soaking rags in oil and draping them over calipers? WTF? Fill the brake M/C- why?

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Wow, that is a lot. Is all that really necessary? Half of the stuff listed on that check-sheet were never mentioned in other threads.
Here's what I've done every winter for my toys since 1971

1) wash
2) change oil and filter
3) fill gas tank, no stabil or other additives
4) park and disconnect/remove battery
5) attach battery to tender

That's it for 5-6 months.

Try to keep your garage at a stabil temperature- either high or low. Fluctuations is what causes condensation and rust.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

If the car hasn't gone past 3K miles since last oil change, do you still need to change the oil?

The garage is not regulated. Does that mean I need to take some precautions?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do not use a tarp. Purchase a car cover with breathable fabric and use that.

Waterproof tarps can trap moisture against your paint.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:53 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Do you have suggestions of where to purchase one or can I just pick one up from my local walmart or on ebay?

Get a fitted one or one that fits a range of years kind of thing?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Order a good quality C3 specific cover from the aftermarket providers.

Do not use a one-size-fits-all generic off the shelf at Wal-Mart. I have no idea what might be on eBay.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
RacrX
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Winter? What's that?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a one size fits all generic from walmart. LOL

it fits fine, I've used it for years on my other cars. its just used for dust in the garage, I would never cover anything outside in it.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I disassemble my entire car, carefully coat each part with oil, and place it in a hermetically sealed box. I pile the boxes in the middle of the garage, in the rough shape of a Corvette. Then, I put my car cover over the pile of boxes, and walk away. In spring, I realize I lack the mechanical skill to re-assemble the car, so I sell the parts on e-bay, and buy another C3 with the proceeds. I find it is about the same amount of work as following the Corvette Magazine recommendation.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar
I disassemble my entire car, carefully coat each part with oil, and place it in a hermetically sealed box. I pile the boxes in the middle of the garage, in the rough shape of a Corvette. Then, I put my car cover over the pile of boxes, and walk away. In spring, I realize I lack the mechanical skill to re-assemble the car, so I sell the parts on e-bay, and buy another C3 with the proceeds. I find it is about the same amount of work as following the Corvette Magazine recommendation.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm with Mike , quick wash, fill up, fuel stabil ,but I leave the Battery in it and use a C-tek charger I've had my 80 for 15yrs and that's all I have ever done ,
My 04 will spend it's first winter in CANADA ,California car, but nothing different on that one , I'll change the oil in the spring before I drive it. Do not use a tarp ,spend $250 and get a good cover .Ron

Last edited by RonR80; 11-01-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter storage

Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Where would this moisture come from? As long as the tarp is not wet when I put it on where does the problem lie? As far as I know, humidity is not going to cause condensation in the winter months.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Well let me tell you a short story , I stowed my car one year way back and tarped the snot out of it and in the spring when I took all the make shift tarps I had a HAIRY GREEN car , mould midew call it what you want, even the signal light lever was rusted. I was able to buff it all out but , a good vette tarp and ventelation , I wish I had pics. If you want a nice finish take care of the way you store it Ron Ron

Last edited by RonR80; 11-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Ron Rail
Well let me tell you a short story , I stowed my car one year way back and tarped the snot out of it and in the spring when I took all the make shift tarps I had a HAIRY GREEN car , mould midew call it what you want, even the signal light lever was rusted. I was able to buff it all out but , a good vette tarp and ventelation , I wish I had pics. If you want a nice finish take care of the way you store it Ron Ron

Thanks for the story, that would definitely make the summer start off poor.
Ok, car cover it is.

FYI, the swirl thing you do for your license plate is very easy to reverse with photoshop. Its as simple as loading the image and reversing the swirl filter. Police investigators use it constantly for cyber criminals who think they are "hiding their face".

Anyway, people will see your plate as you drive down the road all day long. There are threads on here with people giving out their custom name plates. Can I ask what you are worried about?

Quick Reply: Winter storage