Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C3 Has Corvette Company

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM
TexasTechDad
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On Star is a waste of money No Help at all! Pay your insurace and lock it ...Pray for the Best!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default agreed

Originally Posted by TexasTechDad
On Star is a waste of money No Help at all! Pay your insurace and lock it ...Pray for the Best!
The Trailblazer SS comes with a theft alarm system in it which flashes the lights and toots the horn but I don't think professional thieves give a darn about that.

I will lock it to keep the teenagers from casual theft and keep it out of dark corners, pay my insurance and hope for the best. That big Corvette engine in them with the high rear end ratio and sport suspension make them targets of theft but not necessarily where I live and drive.

Ever priced LoJack? Not cheap! Thanks for all the comments. I was surprised to learn they are in modest demand by thieves but now that I know it I'll still buy it 'cause it's in demand from me too. It should be delivered to Carmax here next Wed. morning and I will pick it up as soon as they safety inspect it so hope for Thursday ownership at the latest.

Lance P.

Lance P.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:16 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Picked the 2008 Black Trailblazer SS up today and noon and visited my son, ended up with about 80 miles of driving given where he and his family live down an 11 mile long, twisty two lane road in the rain.

How does the TB SS look? Mean. How does the TBSS sound? Mean. How does the TB SS move: Holy Crap Fast. How does the TB SS handle? Like a race car. You just wouldn't believe how well GM Performance division did converting this plain vanilla Trailblazer into a SS by dropping in an LS-2 400 hp Vette engine, putting racing suspension under it and lowering it between one and two inches. I don't think I've personally ever driven anything any faster or handled nearly as well. My 76 Vette comes close on the handling and might beat it but for speed, the 2008 TB SS beats it hands down, flat out, way, way, way, way faster than the Vette.

The SS drives on the road and handles extremely well though little old ladies wouldn't like its stiffer ride and superb handling. It with the AWD and the huge tires and powerful engine will handle towing a Uhaul with my Vette on it anywhere I want to take it now. The plan is to drive the TBSS to maine in the second half of June then after Labor day take it towing the Vette to run the Tail of the Dragon with the Vette and Smoky Mountain Nat. park and do some camping. The TB SS is way underknown. Why GM didn't advertise what they did with SS models via the GM Performance division is one of life's mysteries. Dumb asses to not do so. The new car won't even know my 19' Wellcraft on its trailer will be behind it as that combo is 1,000 pounds less than the Vette on trailer.

Can you tell I'm excited? It really is a special vehicle.

lance P.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 PM
roy69
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats!!!! That is really cool.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 431 Likes on 309 Posts

Never ridden in or driven any Trailblazer, but have always liked the SS ones
Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default SS = GM Performance Division

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Never ridden in or driven any Trailblazer, but have always liked the SS ones
You should drive one once. I owned the standard TB and pulled my boat with it but will never have one again. This SS is amazing with its race suspension, LS-2 Corvette engine, 4:10 rear end. Tons of torque and tons of speed while the thing is lowered and runs the roads with great handling. Not at all what you'd expect. Takes about ten miles and you begin to realize it's kinda special.

At 65 mph in the 2008 standard trailblazer the engine was pulling 1850 rpms. The TBSS with the 4:10 rear end pulls 2100 rpms with the .7 fourth overdrive gear. Not as efficient but not all that bad either. I am very, very pleased with the TB. Will take some photos when it isn't rainy but photos don't do it justice. You gotta drive one...

Like I said: it is Holy Crap Fast and handles equal to that. Not at all what you'd expect.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

good report - makes me want to go check 1 out

Pete.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default Pete...

Originally Posted by Spocc
good report - makes me want to go check 1 out

Pete.
I tow a boat and trailer and when I bought the 76 Vette decided I wanted to drive it within about 200 miles from home as it is in four more days 36 years old despite being in fantastic shape. Just common sense. So, I checked a uhaul rental car trailer out and put the weight together and it's 5,000+'s plus or 1,000 more than the boat/trailer and I decided that the TB LS with its fantastic 291 hp straight 4.2 L six might not be enough engine though it technically could do it.

So, I looked around and on the C4, C6 forums via search on towing your Vette found quite a number of them were pulled by big pickups with big engines and quite another number by the 2006-2008 Trailblazer SS with the really hefty LS2 Corvette engine. It is fun owning two "vettes...sort of" but the real deal on the SS is the race oriented, much stiffer suspension, the AWD on the model I got and the power of that 395 hp stock engine coupled with a 4:10 factory rear end. The reviews from users were universally favorable. I have had two Trailblazers with the same 4.2L engine which is fantastic but this LS2 is just plain amazing. I cannot imagine what driving a 2005-2008 Vette that is low and wide with one in it. Hold on to your *** because "Holy Crap Fast Speed and Handling" would be ratcheted up yet again.

As I said, I've never driven a better handling, more powerful vehicle that is anything like this fast. You have to re orient your thinking about speed and if you really want more you can easily add about 150 hp with a small turbo and a newer cai with less turbulent flow and no necking. Add a modern on top of the intake area supercharger and the beast would be way up there. The block is the aluminum sleeved block with aluminum heads, valves that are 2" intake 1.6" exhaust and more than .5" lift if memory serves. It is the LS2 with a composite intake that is just a different shape from the Vette engine. Add a true dual and you better start thinking about beefing up the auto tranny cause you are going to be throwing serious power at it.

If it had a simple five or six speed manual you would be out of first and second gear so fast you'd have to question having them at the rpms this thing quietly runs.

The exhaust sounds on mine like it has a Flowmaster minus the 34 mph drone. It burbles very nicely...and it is 100% stock. Not to mention the traction control, stabilitrak, abs, Vette Brakes, etc, etc. etc.

One of the owners on that forum said: "drive it a week and you'll never want anything else but your sports car, trust me." They were right and it only took 80 miles to get that feeling. Cripes, it's 6 a.m. and I washed the rain off it and put a light coat of tech polish on it just now!

Lance Pearson

Last edited by LancePearson; 12-22-2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: color
Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default photo

Photos absolutely do not convey how well this vehicle works as described but here's one of mine.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Here's what my TB SS experience is so far:

I am getting used to the Trailblazer SS and am amazed at it, really like it. The 4:10 rear end is a first for me but it makes the truck VERY fast combined with the engine. It runs 60 mph at 2100 rpms in the auto tran's fourth .7 to 1.0 gear versus 1850 for my older six cylinder 3:42 rear end Trailblazer so not too bad. At 60 mph on flat ground it gets close to 19 versus the 21 that the other TB got. At 67 mph to 70 it gets closer to 17 mpg but is as advertised. Try going 60 and then hitting the gas to pass someone. Hold on to your hat as you are going 100+mph so fast it will make your head spin. Did that last night on 288 coming home from church. Also took it for a ride down to lake Chesdin to run Beach and Nash roads with it. They are 45 mph or less twisty two lanes and I drive at about 55-60 with the Vette for fun. I did the same with the TBSS and effortlessly hit 80 in one short straight. You have to hold this thing back as it is enormously powerful and handles really well, albeit with a stiff ride at 35 mph slow speeds.

The rear end isn't as limiting as I thought it might be. It really makes a car quick to get to speed. This is the first vehicle I've ever knowingly driven with a 4:10 or that level rear end so it's a new experience to me. If I ever have to get into the differential again on my '76 Vette I think I'll go ahead and switch out the 3:36 rear end and convert it to 3:73 to add some quickness to it. Makes a huge difference in acceleration and I have no plans to increase the 220 hp that's in it so this would be an easy way to quickness especially since it will never be a long distance road car.

You do have to get used to the LS-2 power. Just normal pressure on the accelerator from a stop light and you look down and you are doing 45 and four or five cars ahead of everyone else. The automatic transmission is good but you need to drive it smoothly as the engine and rear end are so high revving so quickly you can go through the first couple gears rapidly and if in the process you lift off then quickly push back down again you can be acting faster than automatic transmissions are meant to do and experience a modest pause while it sorts it..very momentary so you just don't do it. You either accelerate or lift off but you don't go quickly back and forth..quick meaning in half second pulses. I'm talking small time frames. Most wouldn't even notice it but when you push it you need to learn it's physics as well. Many spend the money on a computer tune to retune the transmission and ECM (electric control module...engine and other things) modules to smooth out and change shift points which are all controlled by these two heavy duty, heat sink, frame mounted computer controller modules. Almost bulletproof. Normal and driven with a flow even when mashing the pedal all the way down it's not noticeable but it does have some things that you notice that come with the territory.

I also ordered an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler for the Trailblazer SS yesterday which goes in front of the regular radiator with the one for the tranny inside the bottom of the radiator. It doesn't impede the radiators ability to cool the car's engine based on the tbss forum owner's reviews and uses but drops transmission fluid temps by about 40-50 degrees for the model I bought which is good size..fits on the brackets an inch or so in front of the driver's side behind the grille. I'll probably go ahead and have Express Auto install it after it gets here as I'm going to have them put it on a lift for me and also double check the drive train fluid levels It's the number one or two modification made to the SS SUV over it's life and a very practical one. The seond is a new c.a.i. with high flow and very smoothed air passages to the engine air intake. Neither makes you get into the engine.

I want to look under it and will do that in the new year after the kit arrives. Not too difficult for me to install in series after the factory built into the radiator small cooler when the fluid is on the way back to the tranny but I want it done right. Adds about a pint or less of auto transmission fluid to the total. Got it on a Christmas holiday sale at $179 instead of $209 so that was good also. The company is now closed for the holiday until the 2nd that makes the kit. The most frequently used exterior Fluid radiator seems to be one made in NC by a guy whose shop specializes in speed equipment for vehicles like this. It's called PCMforless. I think the small extra, hooked in serial radiator for the tranny is about 12-14"" x 18-20" or so which is a lot of extra cooling for a fluid that inside the transmission can hit 300+ degrees under heavy use. Dropping it to 150-250 F or less depending on conditions is a huge change and substantially improves transmission longevity based on a lot of owner's recommendations and experience. Normally you don't worry about it but this engine is so powerful that owners have found it very worthwhile especially if you tow anything heavy. Many trucks do this automatically just because of the heavier loads they work with I'm told. A very common and very safe thing to do as far as I can tell.

I have a K & N stock size air filter and cleaning/oiling kit coming as well to replace the stock paper element air filter and that will round it off to 400 hp even in the engine, up from 395 hp. I see no need to spend the $300 for replacing the entire cold air induction setup which increases hp from 14-18 hp by dyno reports since it has way more power than necessary already. If I wanted lots more power one under the hood added turbo or even a small, flat supercharger that sits low on top where the intake would be and fits under the hood takes it up to somewhere between 500-600 hp, depending on what you do. Some run high 8 to low 9 second 147+ mph 1/4 mile drag times with beefed up trannies with high stall rate torque converters that way.

The max theoretical speed and a speed many have attained stock with this vehicle with the ECM 130 mph limit removed is 148.8 mph. It loves 80-100 mph in ride and ease of driving, just loves them. The wheels with the 255 x 50 x 20" tires on them are just under 30" in diameter versus the 26.5" diameter of my Vette's 255 x 60 x 15" wheels and tires. Both are big tires but the greater diameter helps deal with the mpg issue with the big engine and 4:10 rear end.

I stopped at Express with it the other day and they all came out and looked at it with Todd crawling under it wondering how all that Corvette sound was coming out the back of a single exhaust. It is a BIG single exhaust of something like 3" tubing and you only get 5 hp if you convert it to true duals at great expense. GM performance when they built it did learn something from the abortive mid 70's choking down 2-1-2 single exhaust to the cat converter on the Vette. Not worth changing as I did the Vette and it burbles along like something far different than a SUV as is from the factory.

On Christmas Eve at 9:30 coming home from a Midlothian church service with friends I was going 60 mph on 288 and a little sports car pulled next to me and stayed with me, apparently somewhat aware of what an SS was, egging me on. I stomped on the gas on the new smooth, repaved road and instantly was over 100 mph leaving the little sports car in shock and awe. I don't think it was what he was expecting at all. He tried but couldn't come close to keeping up. It gets there very, very fast with the engine and rear end combo. Fastest thing I've personally ever driven. It has the driver information center so you can see what your mpg is. I'll go hook it up to my boat and trailer later this week and tow it around a little to see what pulling a 4,000# load is like. I expect it to be far easier than the 2008 Trailblazer LS did it with its 4.2L 291 six and 3:42 rear end was though it did that okay but without any real zip in the process. I always thought pulling more than that for any distance would be marginal despite its higher tow rating.

The guy who was chief engineer for Corvette who developed C5 and C6 Vettes, Dave Hill, said at dinner one night, to my friend Dick out in Denver (I've had dinner with Dave and his wife twice while out there as well), that the reason they built the tranny in C6's so bulletproof that when racing you just slam the lever from first to second without even bothering with the clutch is that the engines rev so high so rapidly that first gear is useless other than to get momentum started. You are out of first so fast you almost can't take time to shift. I believe it and with the ZR1 supercharged engine it would be astronomically fast into the middle gears. Paddle shifters would be the order of the day.

Quick Reply: My C3 Has Corvette Company