Sponsored by:

Clunking in Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Rangers-lead-the-way
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking in Car

Quick question for anyone, So when i drive really slow (5mph or less) and have the wheel turned i have this semi-loud CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK every time. It clunks like every wheel full rotation or so. Not sure what that is all about it never clunks unless i am turning REALLY slow. ANY IDEAS??
Old 12-24-2011, 09:34 PM
JHerk pilot
Advanced

I get the same thing in my 68. I was told it is most likely the rear differential and can be fixed by an additive you put into the differential reservoir. I haven't done that yet but will soon. I hope it will be that easy!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how loud it is...In my case it was not a clunk but a click click click only when turning right at intersections etc... I honestly gave up trying to find the source...to it to an old semi retired mechanic who only works on Corvettes and only works on C1 C2 and C3...

It took him 2 days to find the noise..

Turned out to be a Broken ..(rusted thru) spring in the emergency brake (I never use my Emergency brake) every time I turned right the the attached half of the spring would swing in and touch the housing...

Bob G
Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Does it sound like it's coming from the rear wheels? If so it could be the posi clutches. The fluid may need to be changed. After you service the rear remember to find an empty parking lot and cut the wheels to full lock and do 10 circles in each direction to complete the service (it makes the cluches rub together to remove any glaze).
Old 12-25-2011, 11:43 AM
fanmanbd
Racer

I agree with changing your differential gear oil. Make sure you use limited slip G5 or add GM posi additive.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:26 PM
georgiaboy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds exactly like my 78. I changed the differential fluid and put in two cans of the GM limited slip additive. Then did what was suggested previously. Went to a parking lot and made figure 8's to make the clutches slip to work in the additive. Cleared up in short order.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:00 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I would also guess that the rear end noise would be suspect. If you dont know when this oil was changed last, this would be a good place to start.

The oil additive can be found at most car part stores. Changing out the fluid/grease was pretty easy. To make it "easier" remove the spare time and cover. This will then give you direct access to the fill plug. You will probably need to buy a pump to get all the old oil out. Then put in the additive first, followed by the new gear oil. The reason for the additive first is that once the oil is filled to the top level of the fill plug, there is no more room to put the additive in. So putting it in first ensures it gets in.

Then drive slowly in several figure 8s to lubricate everthing.

kdf

Get notified of new replies

To Clunking in Car

Quick Reply: Clunking in Car