C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When selling your Corvette, how do you prevent 'test drivers' and other Undesirables?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When selling your Corvette, how do you prevent 'test drivers' and other Undesirables?

If youve sold a Corvette before, what did you do to prevent people coming over pretending to be qualified and just wanting to send the Ponies into a full gallop on a testdrive ? How can someone weed out these types for rejection ? Whats worked for you in the past ? Seems even advertising in Corvette only magazines wouldnt deter some people from wasting your time.

Your personal experiences, thoughts, ideas are welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I don't believe it's possible to guarantee you won't get a clown. That said, I've lost count how many Corvettes I've sold for myself and others since the 70s and I have never once had an issue on a test drive.

I have read threads here on this topic before and heard people say they would not allow a test drive, or only under rigid circumstances. I would walk away from buying a car in that instance. It is not reasonable to expect to sell a Corvette to someone without a test drive.

I think the most you can do is go with the driver.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
CrusinZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheycallmeDave
If youve sold a Corvette before, what did you do to prevent people coming over pretending to be qualified and just wanting to send the Ponies into a full gallop on a testdrive ? How can someone weed out these types for rejection ? Whats worked for you in the past ? Seems even advertising in Corvette only magazines wouldnt deter some people from wasting your time.

Your personal experiences, thoughts, ideas are welcome. Thanks.
Not going for a road test would be a deal breaker for me instantly. All you can do is to go along for the trip. What i have done in the past when i was unsure of said buyer of any vehicle's i have sold, those that present themselves and ask the right ???s that seem really interested was delay the road test for a couple day's. Made some excuse that i was busy and didn't have time right then, this way if they came back, i knew they were serious about the vehicle.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:41 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't sold a vette before and only sold 2 of my cars in the past and both times I fully negotiated the deal subject to a test drive. They can still waist your time but it definitely turned away some folks who just wanted to drive my car. Of course they can always say I didn't like the way it drove or try to renegotiate the deal afterward. However, if you are selling a car for a certain price and they offer you a price that you wouldn't except then you don't have to let them test drive at least.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you think 'putting the hammer down' is a problem for the Corvette you're trying to sell, just tell the potential buyer that he/she can't test the car at WOT. Then, see what happens next.....

Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

I would be more worried about an INEXPERIENCED driver letting the car get away from them. Gues syou have to make that call for yourself.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
ENGRMAN
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the above post - In 2006 I let someone else drive my 1976 and they totalled it due to inexperience with these cars! Still have the wreck and no I aint selling parts. It sucked.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Make sure they have a current driver's lic. no matter what their age.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

They leave a $50.00 refundable deposit with my Wife as I accompany them on the drive.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you think 'putting the hammer down' is a problem for the Corvette you're trying to sell, just tell the potential buyer that he/she can't test the car at WOT. Then, see what happens next.....

I'm not about to let some random stranger go WOT in a car that I'm trying to sell. I'd gladly put the car through the paces for them, but for my sake and the car's sake I'm not entrusting my life to a stranger. (and they shouldn't entrust theirs to me.)
Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

When I bought my '75, I went for a test drive.....as a passenger. Not only did this give me the freedom to really listen and look for potential problems, it gave me insight on how the car was being treated by it's previous owner.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen a few ads that say "No test pilots." Don't know whether it works or not.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Thran69
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah i am sorry. I trying to sell two 76 corvettes at the moment.
I've had to replace two steering knuckles because of two old guys curbing it hard.
I have to go with the "no test pilots"
If you don't have the cash in your hand. You mean nothing to me.
I cant afford to keep putting money into a car i am getting rid of.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i have never sold a vette but in my shopping for my current car i found none of the owners wanted their cars driven by the prospective buyer.one girl had her sister tail us in her car as she reluctantly allowed me a test drive.when i told her i wanted to punch it she just about had a canary.on my current '76 the owner stuck to his guns and took me for a drive.when we got back to his house i asked him again if i could drive the car and he refused.i explained to him that my offer is 0 without a drive, and he agreed, and i bought the car.(Karol)funny you say that as no one has ever asked me for my license.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to weed out people and you might weed out the person that would have bought the car. As far as someone going WOT on it, first you should be along on the drive. Explain to them before hand that you value your car and don't let anyone abuse it or put it, you or themselves in danger. You drive it away from home and let them ride in the passenger seat. YOU give them a taste of what kind of performance the engine has in a safe area. THEN after asking them to be careful with the car, you let them switch seats and have a normal drive.

If they are a couple, you do one test drive at a time. If they start getting dangerous, ask them to pull over and you drive it home. Getting the window shoppers is part of the selling game. That's why so many people trade in cars at dealerships. They don't want the hassles.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

To tell ya the truth I believe on my classic insurance policy I am the ONLY person covered to drive the car. You may want to check first instead of learning the hard way. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The last few I sold, I had to insist the buyers try it out. I travel about 3/4 mile to the interstate in a very conservative manner, then to I95, cruise at about 60mph, then floor it to show them the four barrel works properly and the downshift if applicable, on up to about 85, then slam on the brakes to briefly lock them up, showing that they work as they should, then cruise mildly at 60 mph to find an exit to turn around. I let them drive it back. Everyone has driven very mildly on the return trip. They already know how it performs.

I had a guy from down the street call me on a Mustang 5.0 Gt convertible back when they were hot. He was very abrupt, he wanted to drive and keep it for a couple of days. I laughed and said I would call him when I found a convenient time.

Get notified of new replies

To When selling your Corvette, how do you prevent 'test drivers' and other Undesirables?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

You think selling a car is bad..dont ever try selling a motorcycle. At least you dont have to worry about someone dropping a corvette, and most people have a drivers license. No one ever has a motorcycle license, and largely like to tell people "Im going to buy a motorcycle" and never actually do.

Slightly more related...I sold a 67 Chevelle 9/2010, that had a 454, 4k stall, and 4:10's. The prospective buyer started the car, and looked all over it. Never asked to drive it, so I figured it wasnt going to be a deal. Boy was I surprised when he made an offer without driving it!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I like how you guys do this. No drives and no WOT for the potential buyer, but I bet as the potential buyer, you all want to do that.

I wouldn't buy one I couldn't.

The reasons.

There are lots of issues you can only see if driving, like bad idler arm on steering, bad steering box, shifting issues, carb issues, and so on. I typically find a parking lot and do a couple of figure 8s, forwards and backwards, as you can find issues in the rear suspension that way.

WOT is important, because you are buying what is supposed to be a performance car and it may not have any. So many rebuild their SHP engines to run on cheap gas and as such, have no guts. You find that out quickly with a bit of WOT, but you need to do it right. Slow start, and keep on revving in first gear, then shift and let off. You aren't out to go drag racing and you don't need a ticket for doing 100 mph but you need to see if the engine maintains power through the power range or if it stumbles, falls off, breaks up, or simply can't make power. You can easily do that by winding it out in first.

It isn't hurting or abusing it, since I'm not doing a drag race start or flooring it and dumping the clutch.

You would be amazed at the cars I have found that won't go anywhere near redline. I drove a Camaro once that should have redline around 5500. At 4000 rpm, it was like you shut it off, then it caught, and went to 4500, then began popping.

That would never have been caught in a casual 25 mph drive around the block.

I also do a hard braking somewhere safe, like a parking lot away from everyone. If you don't check them now, you may not like what you find when you need them.

As to deciding if the guy drives or not, it isn't easy. But a start is how soon into the visit does he want to drive. If he gets there and immediately wants to take it for a ride, he isn't buying.

If he spends 20 minutes or more crawling around looking underneath, checking under the hood, checking numbers, and such, he is probably much more serious.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

keep ignition key in yer pocket

when time to fire it up, be sure you are in drivers seat

i'll be happy to take you for a ride

do not let them see number , on key

Pete.

Quick Reply: When selling your Corvette, how do you prevent 'test drivers' and other Undesirables?