Print Wikipost

C3 Market values right now

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C3 Market values right now

What's going on at the moment? Just had a look on eBay, and my very unscientific survey of 1970's Corvettes revealed that 74-79's are selling, but 73's and under are not. Could it be that rubber bumpers are more popular? Or maybe their owners are a bit more realistic on price in this market.
60's C3's seem to be struggling as well, with more chance of a sale if you have a convertible. But once again, very unscientific!
Here in NZ, American classic car sales in general are very flat, but guys are stubbornly refusing to bow to the market, and as a result, cars just ain't moving! I feel sorry for the local muscle car sales owner, a really nice guy.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts........
Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything C2 or the early C3s with the chrome bumpers are on average much more expensive that the later rubber bumper versions. What you're seeing is economics. Less to spend on toys but the urge to buy a toy is still there. If you really want an alcoholic beverage, but only have a few bucks, will you buy a beer or nothing at all until you can afford wine?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few months ago in Pensacola there was a 71 in great shape with 4 speed, a/c and a few extras for 15,000.00. Ran it in the paper for a few weeks and dropped the price to 12,500.00 and it sold. It was a nice buy for somebody. The car was garage kept, blue and nice.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The April 2012 edition of Corvette Magazine just came out with their Buyer’s Guide for the C3s. All the chrome bumper years show good appreciation with the 1970 T-top showing the highest gains at 10%. Results for convertibles verse T-top are mixed for this sector with convertible leading for some years and not for others. You are right about the soft nose Vettes with 74 and 75 models showing good appreciation, but not so for model years 76 and 77. The 1978 Vettes appreciated as well. Results for the 1973 model were mixed with the T-top up 2% and the convertible down 5%.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Very interesting....I don't know much about that particular buyer guide. How do they get their figures? Is it from sales?
Cheers!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmagrath
Very interesting....I don't know much about that particular buyer guide. How do they get their figures? Is it from sales?
Cheers!
I can’t really speak to the science behind their results. They do a Buyer Guide for each of the Corvette generation each year. Values and broken down by year, condition, and major options. I have been following it for a few years…the values seem to track the market reasonably well.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...How do they get their figures?...
They guess. Buying guides are meant to sell magazines.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

I no longer subscribe BUT I HONESTLY miss the editions where they include the Price Guides... so in my case you are correct...

Chrome Bumper cars sell less because they cost more..

BTW./..is the price guide in the current issue on the newsstand now..
I'd like the latest price list for c2. c3 c4 and c5 to be honest...or be able to download them (even for a fee) if anyone wants to sell me their copy of the latest prices...I'll pay..

Bob G.
I'm in my late 60's and have started thinking about selling a few of my toys
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

The data is just a guess, probably a good guess.
The Auctions houses charge both buying and selling commissions, which if not included, really skew the numbers. EBAY charges their commissions also. some cars sell for much more in states with no sales tax. I have to add 7% to my price in order to register the car for the 1st time.

Most people will not respond to buying and selling surveys, or will lie.

dealers will not tell you what it bought or sold for, because then they will be publishing how much they negotiate.

I rarely, if ever, tell anyone what I paid for my car.

the data is either false or flawed. The NADA guide is 50% different than other price publications.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 24695bob
I no longer subscribe BUT I HONESTLY miss the editions where they include the Price Guides... so in my case you are correct...

Chrome Bumper cars sell less because they cost more..

BTW./..is the price guide in the current issue on the newsstand now..
I'd like the latest price list for c2. c3 c4 and c5 to be honest...or be able to download them (even for a fee) if anyone wants to sell me their copy of the latest prices...I'll pay..

Bob G.
I'm in my late 60's and have started thinking about selling a few of my toys
Their site says that it's on sale now. If you want I can scan the page and send it to you or you can have the mag. I'm done. Just pm.

as far as other years:

c4- July /11 issue
c5- Oct/11 issue
c2- January / 12

You can go to their site and buy the back issues. Sorry, I recycled mine

I really don't pay attention to their guide since every issue they say a base 78 has the lowest value of any C3
Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

I follow sales of 68-72's closely as far as auctions,private sales and my own personal sales,you will see that prices are all over the board as Big Block prices in general are soft while the LT-1's seem pretty strong.A clean original 68-72 small block 4-speed vert is allways a good seller and in demand.On the high end 68-69 L88's are hot as a pistol with prices in the 400-600k range and higher.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

People with the money to spend are willing to buy collectible cars, not just Corvettes. Since the economy is down they're looking for bargains from people who need the money.

Overall the market sucks if you're looking to sell. It's good if you're looking to buy.

Supply and demand...sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

In order to buy, first I have to sell. Which puts me in a worrying position. Do I take a hit on my car, and hope that someone else is prepared to do the same? The good news is that 74's are moving according to my very unscientific research! I think the best thing is to sit tight. The 1970 convertible dream will have to wait a while.........
Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

As someone who's just had to do some market research to convince a ins co of my restomod'd 81's worth and now shopping for it's replacment, the market is pretty down. Ebay has the same C3's just recycling thru listings without hitting reserves and CList is full of C3's listing $3-4k lower than 3-4 yrs ago. having to recalibrate my value gauge as i'm now seeing former $9-10K drivers being listed for $6-7k and staying listed for a while.
CASH is king right now...........

OH - it seems every other 82 for sale is a ultra low mile CE..................

Last edited by Fast81; 03-02-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In order to buy, first I have to sell. Which puts me in a worrying position. Do I take a hit on my car, and hope that someone else is prepared to do the same? The good news is that 74's are moving according to my very unscientific research! I think the best thing is to sit tight. The 1970 convertible dream will have to wait a while.........
Just do your research on going prices for what you are wanting before pricing yours. I am selling mine. I know what I want for it and what I will take. I won't take a beating because I can always keep it. Answers to ads have been slow but they are coming and I have one or two people interested. I have it marked up a bit expecting them to want it cheap but in searching local ads I am in the middle of what is being asked for similar condition cars.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Roughrider
Supply and demand...sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.
I like that!

The principle of substitution at work. Why would anybody in their right mind pay you more for something if they can buy something similar for less? Low end vettes (most C3s) are plentiful and the people who can afford to own them (as in middle class workers) are more likely to have been negatively affected by the American economic downturn. They say that it's a recession when your neighbor loses his/her job...but a depression when you lose yours.

I've grown tired of and been trying to sell both my boat and Harley for the last year. Dropped my asking prices 40% and still no takers. I literally have to give them away and that just ain't gonna happen. Too many for sale and too few with the money/credit that are willing to buy. Same goes for houses and condos. Prices have dropped probably 60% around here.

I drove by the Palm Beach Int'l Airport a few weeks ago and noticed the hundreds upon hundreds of private jets, lined up like white marshmallows along the tarmac on billionaire's row. Donald Trump even had his new $100+ million Airbus there. What's all this silly talk about a recession?

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Market values right now

Old 03-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

I hear 76s are getting ready to go thru the roof so it would be a great time to buy mine now and make some money later!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by jr9170
I follow sales of 68-72's closely as far as auctions,private sales and my own personal sales,you will see that prices are all over the board as Big Block prices in general are soft while the LT-1's seem pretty strong.A clean original 68-72 small block 4-speed vert is allways a good seller and in demand.On the high end 68-69 L88's are hot as a pistol with prices in the 400-600k range and higher.
"Prices ARE all over the board"

I think the highly desireable cars sell for the "right money" or they just don't sell at all until someone comes up with the "right money". The "well bought" cars are a result of a "must sell" situation due to other financially pressing circumstances.
What do we say? I happened to be in the right place at the right time (with money in hand of course).
Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

A co-worker who has regular auction duty for the boss recently told me the blue chip cars are the same or even up a little while the blue collar cars are all down.

Quick Reply: C3 Market values right now