Sponsored by:

American Powertrain transmission group buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Great news. Also, you don't have to pay $500 to have the tranny pulled again to replace the bad clutch.
I know. At least that's one good thing that I can say. I wonder how many people from the group buy got these defective clutches. It would probably be a good idea for anyone who ordered them and have yet to install them to find out if AP will exchange them before they have the same problem we did.

On a good note, over 700 miles on my Hydramax throw-out bearing with no issues.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
KeislerChris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
FWIW..... took the vette out to a clear road to check 1/4 mile times... BAD...just under 14sec... like WTF i thought... then i looked at the readout of the runs...i lost a full second between each shift...3 shifts...3 seconds. just can not make it shift any faster from 5000-6500 rpm's i should be in the mid to low 12's. my elevation is 3000' outside temp 95*.

think i will start another thread on this...maybe someone has a fix... i could shift my super T-10 in a fraction of a second...this transmission.... a full second and i am not even into it 100%,not even close...... more like 80-85% because i have a run in 2 weeks and i dont want to break her yet...

I'm probably kicking a hornet's nest here, but the TKO is not designed for that type of shifting. It's a great trans, plenty strong, but higher RPM shifting is not this box's forte at all. Various suppliers out there offer upgrades, but it's just as much about technique as it is about the hardware. AP has a video on youtube of how to shift these at higher RPM which you may want to check out.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there anybody waiting on a drive shaft? Im pissed off,i try calling and nobody answers and the answer machines are full,i try more times to get somebody and i finally get the receptionist and she cant help me but tell me that i got 2 packages and no drive shaft.then tells me they are all gone on the power tour,and wont be back until the 17th i think,thats just great, sobs messed up on my order and didnt order mine. maybe others too.I should be able to charge them money for my down time. Man i am hot How can everybody be on the power tour?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

I spoke to Daniel today and he's definitely NOT on the power tour. I'm not sure if he can get your driveshaft ordered for you or not.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Nasti12
Advanced

I just got off the phone with Daniel. I had to send him a pic of the clutch disc, possibly I received a bad one also.
I asked about the drive shaft and was told that the manf. had run out of yokes. So, as soon as AP can get them the yokes, plus some fab time, we'll start receiving the drive shafts.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KeislerChris
I'm probably kicking a hornet's nest here, but the TKO is not designed for that type of shifting. It's a great trans, plenty strong, but higher RPM shifting is not this box's forte at all. Various suppliers out there offer upgrades, but it's just as much about technique as it is about the hardware. AP has a video on youtube of how to shift these at higher RPM which you may want to check out.
Chris-
Someone mentioned that you have a bracket that prevents the potential "missed shifts" from 2nd to 3rd and 5th to 4th (sometimes hit reverse). If so, can you explain what you have and also thank you for being very upfront in this process about your back log.
Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nasti12
I just got off the phone with Daniel. I had to send him a pic of the clutch disc, possibly I received a bad one also.
I asked about the drive shaft and was told that the manf. had run out of yokes. So, as soon as AP can get them the yokes, plus some fab time, we'll start receiving the drive shafts.
Thats just great ,i will have to wait another month or two for a drive shaft,i already waited too long for a trans. Its like 3 weeks already waiting on a drive shaft.This is just wrong,very wrong flyeri just got his drive shaft,so i dont understand,all of a sudden ,no yokes I guess the JOKES on me Plus i forgot that Paul told me when i got my kit and i asked him about my drive shaft he said its being manufactured as we speak, BS<BS<BS<BS<BS im getting more pissed talking about it and remembering what i was told.

Last edited by Billysvette; 06-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Nasti12
Advanced

FWIW, I'll have to swap out my clutch disc also, it was a "bad" one. Thanks to everyone that posted about the problem, you saved me a big headache.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nasti12
FWIW, I'll have to swap out my clutch disc also, it was a "bad" one. Thanks to everyone that posted about the problem, you saved me a big headache.
Im sorry,i know theres others too having a bad time,that just adds to everything we have been going through.How in the world can you give this company a thumbs up
Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Maybe it's a mixed blessing that I STILL haven't heard anything from AP. I haven't pulled my clutch order from them yet. :O
Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 AM
DEEPSEA70
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Should I go elsewhere

I need everything from the flywheel to the diff. I was looking at a TKO600 and everything in-between; clutch and all from AP. Sounds like I need to do some more research???
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Nasti12
Advanced

I wouldnt blame AP for all of this, there are other factors in the mix. So far they have dealt with us and tried to fix any issues we've had.. I'd still recommend them, but I'd also advise waiting intil all parts have been delivered before starting your project.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 AM
KeislerChris
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Chris-
Someone mentioned that you have a bracket that prevents the potential "missed shifts" from 2nd to 3rd and 5th to 4th (sometimes hit reverse). If so, can you explain what you have and also thank you for being very upfront in this process about your back log.
Thanks,
Josh
Josh,
There may be some confusion, I'm with Keisler, but was subscribed to this thread when the initial group buy discussion started. We don't have a bracket that prevents missed shifts. In essence, the gate between 2nd and 3rd gear is very narrow and easy to miss with the TKO, especially at higher RPM when you attempt to shift like you would with a Muncie or a Super T-10. The TKO has a single shift rail with a selector pin on it, which in turn selects one of 3 different shift rails, but the interchange between 2nd to 3rd is pretty fussy, that's why palming the shifter and pushing the lever straight towards the dash works every time.

Last edited by KeislerChris; 06-05-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Broken hyperlink
Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

wow, you aren't kidding when you say its narrow.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
KeislerChris
Advanced

Exactly. Great trans for its intended purpose. Speed shifting and 7,000 rpm rips at the drag strip, not so much.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by KeislerChris
Exactly. Great trans for its intended purpose. Speed shifting and 7,000 rpm rips at the drag strip, not so much.
Do you offer any DIY sort of a kit to improve the 2nd-3rd shifting? just to make it click into 3rd a ilttle faster?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Bullseye83
Heel & Toe

Those of you that received a bad clutch. What kind of clutch did you order with your kits? I upgraded to "stage 1 street slayer" Really hope everything is ok :S

Get notified of new replies

To American Powertrain transmission group buy

Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

mine was the lowest level clutch they had
Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Nasti12
Advanced

mine was the disc included with the kit, I didn't upgrade.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Hy Guys,

I'm just getting back after a small hiatus and wanted to check in.

At this point, I haven't gotten my driveshaft, so I guess I will have to give them a call.

The clutch issue is new. I received the stock clutch disc that came with the kit. I'm inferring this is the one that they got a bad batch of and will need to be replaced. Does anyone have confirmation of this?

Guess I have to talk to them about this as well.

Thanks for any info.

Quick Reply: American Powertrain transmission group buy