Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Adjar Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 07:08 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

FWIW, all 1972's had a factory installed alarm system. Was an option in prior years, standard for '72 and beyond .

Last edited by redrdstr72; 02-20-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:39 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Alarm off/on switch:

Old 02-20-2016, 07:44 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redrdstr72
FWIW, all 1972's had a factory installed alarm system. Was an option in prior years, standard for '72 and beyond .
... was suggesting a place for Ruken to look if he wasn't sure. It could have been removed and sold or tossed out.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

I'll have to look at mine to see if it's connected to the door-ajar or not.
No...wait. The hood isn't on the car and I've been testing the dash lights and I know it doesn't actually light up.
Hmmm, OK, time to check the wiring diagram
M
Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mooser
I'll have to look at mine to see if it's connected to the door-ajar or not.
No...wait. The hood isn't on the car and I've been testing the dash lights and I know it doesn't actually light up.
Hmmm, OK, time to check the wiring diagram
M
My '72 hood switch makes the alarm go nuts but I've never looked to see if the door ajar lights are on .... what? .... that's just crazy. Someone breaks into your engine bay and the interior lights come on so you can see what you're doing trying to steal the radio. That I am going to check out in the morning for sure.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Well it would certainly make sense that the light would come on since it (the alarm) is connected to the door ajar switches.

Mine doesn't (I know that it doesn't) but the alarm works, including the hood and the door ajar works on both doors
So now I've got to start tracing something somewhere.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:42 PM
OZvette72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mooser
Well it would certainly make sense that the light would come on since it (the alarm) is connected to the door ajar switches.

Mine doesn't (I know that it doesn't) but the alarm works, including the hood and the door ajar works on both doors
So now I've got to start tracing something somewhere.
But the door ajar switches don't turn any lights on.
The door ajar switches + hood switch are triggers for the alarm and that's all.(note! ... all three are also the same part number)
For my own piece of mind I did a test and it is as follows (notice separate wire going to the hood off the main loom):-
Attached Images   

Last edited by OZvette72; 02-27-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:26 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

My under hood switch controls both the alarm and the 2 foot well and 1 rear compartment lights. Not the door ajar light on the dash which is controlled by the rear switches. In 69 the alarm was an option so that might have something to do with it. I could never figure out why anyone would want the interior lights to come on when the hood was opened so maybe it was changed in later years. It's also a real pain when working under the hood as there is a constant battery drain unless you zip tie the switch down. My alarm works perfectly but I leave a zip tie on the under hood switch because of the lights.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:17 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
My under hood switch controls both the alarm and the 2 foot well and 1 rear compartment lights. Not the door ajar light on the dash which is controlled by the rear switches. In 69 the alarm was an option so that might have something to do with it. I could never figure out why anyone would want the interior lights to come on when the hood was opened so maybe it was changed in later years. It's also a real pain when working under the hood as there is a constant battery drain unless you zip tie the switch down. My alarm works perfectly but I leave a zip tie on the under hood switch because of the lights.
I feel your pain my friend, I bought a '72, built September '71 and I reference the '73 wiring diagram. (because my ajar switch wires are Lt.Blue, White and Black).
Regards Allan
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 PM
OZvette72
Instructor

Originally Posted by OZvette72
The door ajar switches + hood switch are triggers for the alarm and that's all.
Just to add, when the car is started and doors or hood are ajar it will be visible by a red door ajar warning light on the center console instrument cluster above the gauges.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:05 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Just verified on my 72, all stock. When the key is off and the door opened, courtesy lights come on. Hood open, nothing. When key is in run position, door opened OR hood opened, door ajar lights up on dash, courtesy lights do not come on. When driving, if I pop the hood, the door ajar light comes on and stays until I close the hood or turn off the switch. Hood switch does not affect the courtesy lights at all.

EDIT: See later posts, door ajar light should NOT come on when hood opened and ignition on. It was designed to be theft alarm only. Mine was miswired by an op.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-24-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:16 PM
OZvette72
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Just verified on my 72 ...
Hi 65GG, Mine is Sept. '71 build and yours?
It would be safe to say this is standard for all '72 models or is the AIM likely to differ?
Regards Allan
Old 02-27-2016, 06:36 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Hi 65GG, Mine is Sept. '71 build and yours?
It would be safe to say this is standard for all '72 models or is the AIM likely to differ?
Regards Allan
Nov 15, 71. I think they were pretty much standard in 72. I didn't look at the aim, because I like that it works this way. It lets me know if I forgot to latch the hood.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:39 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

... I didn't look at the aim, because I like that it works this way ...
Sorry! .. let me rephrase that, what seems to happen when you think you got it right somebody comes up with a different AIM for the car you thought was right. You will be happy to know that our cars are as per the AIM.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:28 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I checked mine again today and it seems like they changed things quite a bit. The alarm in my 69 was optional so the wiring was an ad on. The rear door ajar switches were for door ajar only and controlled the dash light only. The front courtesy light switches and under hood switch are on the same circuit and control the courtesy lights, key warning buzzer and alarm. I can see now why they changed it. If you were going down the road at night, hit a pothole and one of your hood catches popped up, you would have all the courtesy lights inside come on instead of the door ajar light on the dash. The door ajar light is only controlled by the two rear door switches and that is all the two rear switches control. Nobody was thinking right in 69....

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 02-28-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:09 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

I checked mine again today and it seems like they changed things quite a bit.
... key warning buzzer ...
It's a good feeling making it RIGHT, and thanks for reminding me about the buzzer 'cause it's not right and I have completely forgotten about it. (my next job)
Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

My 72 does have the door ajar light lit when the hood is popped up. You don't need another wire. When the hood is down, it opens the switch. When you pop the hood even a little, the switch internally closes (completes the path to ground) and lights the same light as the door switches do. Make sure that switch has a good ground and the 12v wire is a solid connection. You can measure the switch with an ohmeter to make sure it's opening and closing. If it never makes contact, the door ajar light will not come on from the hood being ajar.
I thought I'd bring this back up due to new information. It turns out that someone had soldered my door ajar switch wire (blue) to the alarm switch wire (white) on the passenger door. When I fixed the alarm and corrected the wiring, the hood switch DOES NOT activate the door ajar switch, only the theft alarm. By changing the wiring, an OP had shorted the two circuits together which was fine until you set the alarm, then the door ajar light would come on even with the doors closed (and key off, which it never should do) , and the alarm didn't work properly either. The hood switch only has two contacts, and when correctly wired, only activates the alarm.
I don't see why, if you wanted the hood to light the door ajar switch and the alarm, you couldn't replace the hood switch with one of the door switches with the three contact set up to operate both the door ajar and the alarm, like the door switches do. You would have to run a wire from the blue wire circuit in the door ajar circuit to the extra contact on the new switch. Here is Willcox's diagram, I colored the door ajar wire blue and added a note "door ajar". You can see that there is no door ajar wire to the hood switch when stock. That blue wire connects to one side of the door ajar light in the dash.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-22-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Adjar Light

Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

Hi 65,
WOW ... too much Ajar, my little brain got lost.
Why are you referencing the '68-'70 wiring diagram when you have '72?? That diagram is showing the Jamb Switches wiring which have the alarm incorporated in it and was an option back then. Our '72 have standard alarm and the additional Ajar Switches located on the rear wheel arc as you get in (the ones you get your clothes caught on).
I have Lt Blue, Black and White wires on both Ajar Switches.
... the hood switch DOES NOT activate the door ajar switch ...
... ??? ... the Hood Switch activates the Alarm Only (no key in ignition) as per earlier diagram. (REMOVED THIS BIT as I was in PIXIE LAND)
Attached Images  

Last edited by OZvette72; 03-24-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Hi 65,
Why are you referencing the '68-'70 wiring diagram when you have '72?? That diagram is showing the Jamb Switches wiring which have the alarm incorporated in it and was an option back then. Our '72 have standard alarm and the additional Ajar Switches located on the rear wheel arc as you get in (the ones you get your clothes caught on).
I also have the Lt Blue and White wires.
... ??? ... the Hood Switch activates the Alarm (no key in ignition) and Ajar Warning Light on the dash (with key in the ignition)
If it does, it shouldn't. Mine did and someone had shorted the two wires together and soldered. If you look at the diagram, there is no connection with the ajar light and the hood switch. The hood switch has only two wires, one for alarm and one for ground. The rear of the door switch has three, one for alarm, one for ajar, and ground. If your hood switch has three wires, someone has modified it to get those results. What tipped me off on mine was when I armed the alarm, the door ajar light would come on with no key in ignition and stay on even with door closed. After following wiring and finding the short, all is well. When the two wires (blue and white), you'll read about 5 ohms on the white alarm circuit. If that happens and the alarm goes off, the flasher will cause the alarm to be very very rapidly. It will sound like a rumble instead of horn.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Hi 65,
I also have the Lt Blue and White wires.
... ??? ... the Hood Switch activates the Alarm (no key in ignition) and Ajar Warning Light on the dash (with key in the ignition)
My 72 alarm system is wired exactly like the diagram (with my addition of the blue connection in the door jamb). If you have three wires on your hood switch, then you should be all set, but you can't just short the two grounds together and get both circuits to work. If yours works well like it is, you should be good to go.

PS, my door jamb switches have a black wire also for ground, and the hood switch has a black and white only,I don't see that in yours, so maybe yours is wired differently than mine.

Here is the 72 alarm diagram, you can see it's identical. I used the other because it was color coded, but this is the one I used to troubleshoot mine.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-23-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Door Adjar Light