Sponsored by:

Speedo Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM
tterz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Newbie

I have been reading about the transducer and speedo.....my 1980 has cruise control pieces, but it is not hooked up, but the speedo cables do go into the transducer, but the speedo does not work. I disconnected the short speedo cable that runs into the speedometer, connected a drill to it and the speedometer will register a speed. I also twisted with my fingers and it still works. This tells me the upper cable is fine and the speedo is fine, but when i connect everything back up, I get nothing. So, i guess either the longer cable or transducer are bad??? Am I heading in the right direction.

I really do not need cruise....should I just abandon the transducer all together and buy a longer cable that goes from the speedo directly to the transmission?? If so, does anyone know what part number it would be from Autozone and if they are good enough to use?

Thank you,
TTERZ
Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by tterz
...buy a longer cable that goes from the speedo directly to the transmission?...
Yes.

...does anyone know what part number it would be from Autozone...
You will need the cable for a 1980 Corvette WITHOUT cruise control.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 AM
tterz
Instructor

Thanks Easy Mike.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

I would second Easy Mike's opinion. Get rid of the cruise. I got a cable from Corvette Central for around $25.

Jim
Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 PM
tterz
Instructor

Okay, so I have the Speedo working now by replacing the cable from trans directly to the speedo. However, I just put in a 140mph speedo, do I need to change the gear inside the trans so that the MPH will be accurate? I just drove it around the block and it is saying that I am going 55 mph when I am really going about 20.....and I do not speed through neighborhoods. haha.

Is there a gear change that is needed? Also, why does the needle bounce around so much and not remain stable? Is that because of a gear change that is needed?

Also, hijacking my own post, what front end parts do I need to be concerned with to get this car to drive straight down the road? It is very difficult to keep straight down the road, very much a challenge.

Thanks,
TTERZ
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
tterz
Instructor

Bump

Get notified of new replies

To Speedo Newbie

Quick Reply: Speedo Newbie