Sponsored by:

F-Body Seat Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Default F-Body Seat Belt Question

I've recently purchased a set of 4th gen Camaro belts to replace my frozen originals. The old ones were so far gone that they got thrown away during the dissasembly. When I went to mock up the new ones, I realized they don't have a pillar loop to hand the belt from the b-pillar like the stock belts do. I've looked at a few on various vehicles, but they seem to be a solid loop that cannot come off the belt. So for anyone that has done this swap, what have you used? Junkyard parts, handmade, or modified originals. Here is an example from another thread.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
I've recently purchased a set of 4th gen Camaro belts to replace my frozen originals. The old ones were so far gone that they got thrown away during the dissasembly. When I went to mock up the new ones, I realized they don't have a pillar loop to hand the belt from the b-pillar like the stock belts do. I've looked at a few on various vehicles, but they seem to be a solid loop that cannot come off the belt. So for anyone that has done this swap, what have you used? Junkyard parts, handmade, or modified originals. Here is an example from another thread.

FYI the pic it from the post #85 of my resto thread.
The loop used here is from a 3rd gen Camaro just like the rest of the parts.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

It's think it's starting to become clear. All the the threads I've read so far say to use the rear belts from a 4th gen F-body. The rear belts don't have the pillar loop, but instead a triangular bracket.

Example:

It was mentioned the triangular piece needed to be cut off, but I couldn't figure out how anyone was slipping the new loop over the buckle. Kinda like a camel through the eye of a needle. But if I'm understanding correctly, you remove the buckle and then slip the belt trough the loop.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Excuse the poor memory, the seatbelt mod had been the kind of project you spend 1h every two weeks, toss it somewhere and install it 6 month later.
Now I see the pic of yours I remember.
Yes mine were the same, I did cut the triangle bracket and the buckle, then scavenged a couple of replacements from some random GM car. Lots of '80 GM car have buckle compatible with the corvette receiver.
Found some that could allow inserting the belt.
Its was really tight, especially the B-pillar loop.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 AM
taylorbg
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Perfect post for today. I have the exact same questions and was going to give this another stab today. I got some belts a month ago from a family friends junk yard. Just like Denpo said, I spent an hour with them right after I got them, now they are sitting on a shelf.

My belts look just like yours. It have that triangle loop that was screwed into the back of the seats, which I am going to cut off. I was not able to get the seat belts through the existing c3 loop.

This is more of a temporary thing for me until I really tackle the interior in a few years... (maybe not if they work great), but I was thinking about just cutting a really thin slit into the existing vette loop, then just sliding the belt through that and being done with for now. Maybe some day I will be in the position to spend 400 on new c3 seat belts. As of now I have way too many other important issues on this car to spend that money on.

Please post if you come up with a solution.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Why are you cutting the triangle part off, rather then finding a way to mount it?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:15 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just finished installing the Gen IV belt in my 72. I think, in the above photo, the retractor is mounted backwards.. and I did not use the pillar loop.

I will do a full install thread next week with better/more photos..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Why are you cutting the triangle part off, rather then finding a way to mount it?
-Safety reason, would the triangle mounting had been as strong as a regular loop.
-Loop is simpler to install, reuse the stock bolt
-It would look more stock.

Good question nonetheless.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:33 PM
taylorbg
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Denpo
-Safety reason, would the triangle mounting had been as strong as a regular loop.
-Loop is simpler to install, reuse the stock bolt
-It would look more stock.

Good question nonetheless.
agreed, not sure there would be an easy place to mount it anyways.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 283 Likes on 200 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Great thread - looking to do this install on my 78.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I did mine I reused the C3 cover and B pillar mount, if you don't have the hardware you could always pick them froma junk yard from other GM cars as mentioned above.

As far as taking the belt apart, at the buckle end, with two par of ajustable wrenches, spread the sides of the buckles, with out bending, spread just enough so that the slide bar comes out atleast on one side. Again do not bend the buckle, there is enough flex in the meterial that will allow you spread it, do the same when reinstalling it back together.

As a side note, do not cut or bend any thing that will allow the saftey belt system to fail, your life depends on it.

Riggs
Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

I installed them in my 73.
Mine run through the back of the seats so I had to remove the buckles at the time. I did the same thing as Riggs.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

[QUOTE= I think, in the above photo, the retractor is mounted backwards.. [/QUOTE]
Both of the retractors in the above photos are installed correctly. Look closely and you will see that the inertia weight is forward in both, as it should be.
As a side note, there is always the option to mount the triangular belt guide from the Camaro system to the back of the seat as it was in the Camaro, and not go to the pillar. It is there only as a guide and to keep the belt off of your neck.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all that chipped in. I had seen the different placements, ie through the seat and no pillar loop. I'm just concerned about the possiblility of a wreck. Look at the size of the bolt holding the stock loop to the b pillar, it is more than just a guide. The General wouldn't spend the extra coin on a bigger bolt if it didn't have to. It's meant to hold the belt in place during a collision, and keep me from slipping out!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c69vete
Both of the retractors in the above photos are installed correctly. Look closely and you will see that the inertia weight is forward in both, as it should be.
As a side note, there is always the option to mount the triangular belt guide from the Camaro system to the back of the seat as it was in the Camaro, and not go to the pillar. It is there only as a guide and to keep the belt off of your neck.
Oops, you're right! My mistake....Sorry 'bout that!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM
pik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Vette Go....

I dont think it will be as easy on the 78, the seat belts changed around there and the inertia weight is in a different axis than in earlier years.
I have a 79 and bought the F body set up. They need to lay down on the floor (in the horizontal axis) my 79 did not have any reinforcing that I could see, and I did not want to rely on bolting to the fiberglass...

I bought a new set that have the retractor anchored in the halo area, on the vertical axis.

If you want to use the F body ones, you can have mine for free, just pay shipping. They are black.

Andy
Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pik
Go Vette Go....

I dont think it will be as easy on the 78, the seat belts changed around there and the inertia weight is in a different axis than in earlier years.
I have a 79 and bought the F body set up. They need to lay down on the floor (in the horizontal axis) my 79 did not have any reinforcing that I could see, and I did not want to rely on bolting to the fiberglass...

I bought a new set that have the retractor anchored in the halo area, on the vertical axis.

If you want to use the F body ones, you can have mine for free, just pay shipping. They are black.

Andy
John...if you aren't interested in the seat belts, I might be able to put them to use.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pik
Go Vette Go....

Andy
Someone on the forum made a right angle bracket to accommodate the later mounting, you might find it using the search feature...

Old 04-26-2012, 02:51 PM
pik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are yours if you want them Stinger

Get notified of new replies

To F-Body Seat Belt Question

Quick Reply: F-Body Seat Belt Question