Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Indiana C3 People Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indiana also has a Year of Manufacture plate law now.
After you have the antique plates, for an additional fee, you can run license plates from the actual year your car was built.

I'm also planning on doing this. Already picked up a new old stock 1979-1980 plate.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/2654.htm
Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
tterz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blckslver79:
Exactly what I was looking for as far as information....THANK YOU!!

Also, I live in Griffith and when i called the BMV in Griffith they stated that I could have the inspection done locally because my car currently does not have any plates and cannot be "officially" driven. I will call them back today to verify whether state or local police need to complete form.

You would be a great local contact to have, can you email me your contact information if I wanted to speak with you about Corvette?

My email address is Tbird20@comcast.net if you are ok with offering me your contact information.

Thanks for info...

Tony
Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Originally Posted by tterz
blckslver79:
Exactly what I was looking for as far as information....THANK YOU!!

Also, I live in Griffith and when i called the BMV in Griffith they stated that I could have the inspection done locally because my car currently does not have any plates and cannot be "officially" driven. I will call them back today to verify whether state or local police need to complete form.

You would be a great local contact to have, can you email me your contact information if I wanted to speak with you about Corvette?

My email address is Tbird20@comcast.net if you are ok with offering me your contact information.

Thanks for info...

Tony
Hi Tony.
BMV told me it had to be State Police.
BMV stated it would need to be trailered if I could not drive it.
State Police also stated to me that they would not come to me.
I have to take the car to them.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Originally Posted by vairxpert
Please explain how that is done.

I'm in Porter County and want to register in Jasper.

What address in Jasper County will I use? A friend or relative? If I claim that address belongs to me, how do I explain it being in my friend or relative's name? If I say I'm living there, how do I explain my house in Porter County linked to my DRIVER'S LICENSE and insurance information? Or why I don't want to get a new driver's license issued to that address after so many days as required by law?

A random P.O. Box in Jasper would be a mailing address, not the required residential address, so we can rule out that possibility...not to mention it still having the issues mentioned above.

Do I literally sign my expensive vintage car over to my friend or relative so that they can register and insure it? What if they have a crappy driving record? In the case of classic car insurance, whose house will it be kept at? And what if they get pissed off at me and decide I'm never to see or use their car again?

And lastly, Indiana counties are huge. What if someone has no friends or relatives outside of Lake and Porter? Or even if they do, what if those people want nothing to do with having a car linked to them?

I just passed on a gray market Porsche 928 Euro which I would have really liked to own but knew it didn't stand a chance at passing an emissions test.

People keep telling me it's no big deal...I just need the detailed instructions that make it "no big deal".
You are correct.
It's only no big deal if you have no roots in Lake or Porter County. If you own a home, forget about it. Personally, I wish we had a rolling 20 or 25 rule like some states have instead of a 1976 cut off. Even more stupid is that NW Indiana residents get screwed on this emmission testing even though the pollution in the area is due to industry on the lake front and passing through traffic on I80/94. It's all politics. It has nothing to do with my 33 year old car that got driven less than 200 miles last year.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Please explain how that is done.

I'm in Porter County and want to register in Jasper.

What address in Jasper County will I use? A friend or relative? If I claim that address belongs to me, how do I explain it being in my friend or relative's name? If I say I'm living there, how do I explain my house in Porter County linked to my DRIVER'S LICENSE and insurance information? Or why I don't want to get a new driver's license issued to that address after so many days as required by law?

A random P.O. Box in Jasper would be a mailing address, not the required residential address, so we can rule out that possibility...not to mention it still having the issues mentioned above.

Do I literally sign my expensive vintage car over to my friend or relative so that they can register and insure it? What if they have a crappy driving record? In the case of classic car insurance, whose house will it be kept at? And what if they get pissed off at me and decide I'm never to see or use their car again?

And lastly, Indiana counties are huge. What if someone has no friends or relatives outside of Lake and Porter? Or even if they do, what if those people want nothing to do with having a car linked to them?

I just passed on a gray market Porsche 928 Euro which I would have really liked to own but knew it didn't stand a chance at passing an emissions test.

People keep telling me it's no big deal...I just need the detailed instructions that make it "no big deal".
It will be up to you how to accomplish this. I always go out of county to buy my plates due to the fact that our local branch is always so busy.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil Zell
It will be up to you how to accomplish this. I always go out of county to buy my plates due to the fact that our local branch is always so busy.
Phil-
It's not about going to a different branch out of county.
It's about where the car is registered. (Your resident address).
I assume Lafayette does not have emmission testing. You can go to any BMV office in the state, but if your car is registered to an address in a county that emmission tests, you are still required to get past the testing.

In order to register a car at an address, you have to show residency there. You cannot very well do that out of county if you own a home, have your insurance at that location and your driver license at that home address. Not to mention garaging address on your insurance contract and voter registration. If you own no home and are willing to use someone elses address for your DL, then sure you can beat the system.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:28 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

blkslvr:

Did you bring the subject up about not having all your controls which gave them a reason to look?

Before the dynos, they would open the hood and put an inductance clamp on an ignition wire which was for checking RPM. I would bring in cars with smog pump brackets still in place (minus pump), air tubes cut and crimped shut and basically all else missing. Never once did they say a word and the cars always passed as long as it had a cat.

Once the dynos appeared back in the 90s, they've never once opened a hood on any of my cars. OBDII cars don't even get the dyno treatment. Cat check, gas cap test, plug a scanner in and leave.

I find most of the employees working at those sites to be clueless and highly doubt most would know what was originally on the car. I've cringed as a few have had a hard time with my manual transmission cars.
They seemed to be programmed to check for a cat and that's it...if you have a later 70s vehicle that never had a cat from the factory, you're in for a real treat. They have no way of checking and it's up to you to bring in factory documentation to prove it.

Also, did the BMV confirm no emission testing with antique plates? I can't find anything online. That's downright awesome if it's true!
Just too bad our plates were bland 25+ years ago. I'd like to get one of the Children of the Corn plates but those didn't come out until 1993.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

blkslvr:

Did you bring the subject up about not having all your controls which gave them a reason to look?

Before the dynos, they would open the hood and put an inductance clamp on an ignition wire which was for checking RPM. I would bring in cars with smog pump brackets still in place (minus pump), air tubes cut and crimped shut and basically all else missing. Never once did they say a word and the cars always passed as long as it had a cat.

Once the dynos appeared back in the 90s, they've never once opened a hood on any of my cars. OBDII cars don't even get the dyno treatment. Cat check, gas cap test, plug a scanner in and leave.

I find most of the employees working at those sites to be clueless and highly doubt most would know what was originally on the car. I've cringed as a few have had a hard time with my manual transmission cars.
They seemed to be programmed to check for a cat and that's it...if you have a later 70s vehicle that never had a cat from the factory, you're in for a real treat. They have no way of checking and it's up to you to bring in factory documentation to prove it.

Also, did the BMV confirm no emission testing with antique plates? I can't find anything online. That's downright awesome if it's true!
Just too bad our plates were bland 25+ years ago. I'd like to get one of the Children of the Corn plates but those didn't come out until 1993.
When I first bought my car back in 2007 I think it was, I took it to the test place in Griffith and they asked to pop the hood. The guy told me that my year had a single cat, not dual cats. (He was correct of course. The PO had put true duals on it with hi flow cats) They did a visual check under the hood and told me I'd have to reinstall everything to pass. I complained because the car had just passed the Pennsylvania state inspection earlier that year so they sent me to the manager. She explained that I could do the show car exemption to get around it. So that's what I've done till now. That was 5 years or so ago, no idea what they check now, because with the show car exemption, you don't take it inside the building. You pull around the side to the office and they check you mileage and show receipts and send you on your way.

Yes, there is no emmision testing with the antique plates. That is why I'm going that route. Now that I have all the things functioning on my car, as long as I pass the safety inspection, I never have to deal with emmissions again. Both the local BMV and the Griffith test place confirmed this. You do pay an extra annual fee for the antique plate, but there is no emmissions and no show requirements.

Last edited by blckslvr79; 04-27-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
I've been dealing with this for the past 5 years.

When I bought my '79, it had dual exhaust and dual cats.
All other smog equipment had been removed. Lake County emmision said no go. All factory equipment must be there to pass their "visual" as well as actual sniff test. YES THEY DID LOOK UNDER THE HOOD.

You have two options to get around emmissions.
1. Apply for a "show car exemption". You are limited to 2000 miles per year and "show validation" of entering at least 2 car shows per year. These can be anything, don't need to be high dollar shows. You still have to take the car in every two years with your verification and they stamp your renewal with the "exempt" pass so you can renew your plates. I've been doing this since I bought the car. I've got no emmissions equipment, built motor, and side pipes. No additional cost other than any fees you may pay for entering shows. It's a bit annoying to maintain the proof of shows though. The last time, I had a dash plaque from a buddies car that I used for proof of one show and they did not question it.

2. Apply for "antique plates". You must pass an Indiana State Police physical vehicle check that shows that the car is "found to be in such mechanical condition that it can be operated safely on the highways of this state". No emmissions are checked or cared about. They check to make sure the car is safe and functioning..all lights work, all safety features are there, horn works, wipers, etc. emmissions are not a factor. You pay a fee for the antique license plate, but no requirement for shows or any other documentation. The inspection is a one time thing. Once you do it, you are done for ever.

I'm scheduled to have my '79 checked at the Lowell State Police office next week for my antique plates.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/2407.htm

■Affidavit For Inspection Of An Antique Vehicle - State Form 37935
http://www.in.gov/bmv/2349.htm
Follow Up:

I've got my YOM plates!

State Police inspection was a breeze.
They checked the VIN on the title.
Checked my drivers license.
Filled out the inspection form for me.
The only thing they check on the car are horn, turn signals, brake lights, parking lights, and headlights. No under hood inspection, no mechanical inspection, no safety inspection, nada.

Took all of 10 minutes.
As for the BMV, they were a bit confused and uneducated on YOM plates, but were more than kind and helpful.

I've now got a 1979 plate on my car!
Looks a bit retro.

Quick Reply: Need Indiana C3 People Help!!