Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

First , with the key in the ON position, check that your idiot lite(s) come on in the dash.

If not, then check fuseable links at the starter bat terminal (large).

If so, then check with a test lite or multimeter the purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid for power, or you can reach down and short the solenoid bat terminal (large) to the small solenoid terminal (with the ignition off). It should crank and not start. Doing this with the key ON, it should start. With key on, make sure it's in neutral or park.

If no power to the purple start wire at the solenoid, then backtrack to the neutral switch, then the ign switch.
If using a voltmeter, there should be no more than 1volt drop from battery voltage to the solenoid purple.
If more, then you have bad switches or connections/wires.

If you can get the solenoid to at least click with proper voltage, then you have other issues to pursue.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Pete:

Sorry but Mick has my car so I'm not able to come and help as Cathy has the other car.

The purpose of a safety nuetral switch is to dissengage power to the starter when the shifter is in any gear to prevent accidental starting while in gear. Sometimes when this particular switch starts to wear you can still start the car by turning the key ignition to the start/on position (as if to engage the starter) at the same time move the shifter up and down between park and drive, if the switch is worn there is a chance the car will still start.

Yes there should be either a fuse at the fuse box or an inline fuse, inline fuses are actualy in the middle of a wire run. I can't remember if your year has one.

Pete, did you disconnect the battery when you changed the alternator, reason I ask is maybe something got grounded if it wasn't disconnected and shorted?

If you don't mind can you also double check the connections on the rear of the alternator, there should be a harness and another wire that's bolted on.

If you're able, can you check for power to the starter, in order to do this you will either have to get a multimeter, or cross the terminals on the starter solenoid and just above the starter where the wires connect to? It's on the passenger side rear of the motor. You can see it at the bottom just in between the engine and transmission. If you have a multimeter, see if someone can engage the starter via the key and check for power to the starter.

When you said, "this car has done this to me before" are you refering to this particular problem or reliablility in general?
never had a starting issue for over 5 years

battery was out of car when i swapped the alternator

going down now to pull a few fuses & check moving shifter when turning key

i have 3 12 hour shifts to do (Friday, Saturday & Sunday 6:30pm-6:30am) at Emergency Dispatch , so i won't be back at this until Monday night

not to worry i have 2 bikes to ride so life is still good lol

thanks Frank
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Originally Posted by noonie
First , with the key in the ON position, check that your idiot lite(s) come on in the dash.

If not, then check fuseable links at the starter bat terminal (large).

If so, then check with a test lite or multimeter the purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid for power, or you can reach down and short the solenoid bat terminal (large) to the small solenoid terminal (with the ignition off). It should crank and not start. Doing this with the key ON, it should start. With key on, make sure it's in neutral or park.

If no power to the purple start wire at the solenoid, then backtrack to the neutral switch, then the ign switch.
If using a voltmeter, there should be no more than 1volt drop from battery voltage to the solenoid purple.
If more, then you have bad switches or connections/wires.

If you can get the solenoid to at least click with proper voltage, then you have other issues to pursue.
going down to swap a few fuses

where are the fusable links at starter bat terminal ? i'll look for something large
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Spocc
going down to swap a few fuses

where are the fusable links at starter bat terminal ? i'll look for something large
At the starter.
If you have power to the Bat terminal on the alternator , the link should be good.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Spocc
Drifting

the Batmobile lives !

it was the f***ing battery , all along.

the little charger i use has a gauge , which has a red zone, then a green zone.

i had assumed that because it went into the green zone , the battery was ok...doh

thinking about the entire circus act i have been thru in the last week i decided when i got home from work at 7am that just for ***** & giggles i would take my spare boat battery down to the car & even tho the neg /pos connections were not correct i took a couple of vise grips with me....the boat battery , after jury-rigged behind the drivers seat , fired the beast, immediately

so over to Can Tire to get a replacement (it was a Nascar battery purchased 2 years ago, with a 4 year full replacement warranty.

ya hooo !

logical dictates that i need to buy one of those volt-tester gizmos lol

thanks for everyones help on this one & keeping me encouraged to keep at it

Pete.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:06 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

OOoohh head out on the hiway...
OOOoooohhh head out on the hiway.........
Old 05-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
OOoohh head out on the hiway...
OOOoooohhh head out on the hiway.........
will be driving it to work in an hour...12 shift & a full moon....fun wow !

Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Pete,
I missed the original posting of your thread. Glad things worked out for you. I replaced a fuel pump last year only to find all I needed was a new filter. At least you needed both problem parts. Good job, back on the road again!! Take care bud.

Terry
Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 PM
boeing46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spocc, Very glad you got it. I once spent a whole weekend at a Chevron station I worked at trying to figure out why my 59 T-Bird wouldn't start. It was out of gas. I think we've all been there done that. We have to remember the old rule to keep it simple.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOOAH
Pete,
I missed the original posting of your thread. Glad things worked out for you. I replaced a fuel pump last year only to find all I needed was a new filter. At least you needed both problem parts. Good job, back on the road again!! Take care bud.

Terry
maybe the failing battery caused the alternator to work harder ...

maybe i turned in a perfectly good alternator...

But, now i have a new battery & a new alternator & taught myself a new learning curve

thanks Terry, will have to remember the fuel filter thing, if that ever comes my way (car or boat...boat has a 327 4B )

Pete.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Originally Posted by boeing46
Spocc, Very glad you got it. I once spent a whole weekend at a Chevron station I worked at trying to figure out why my 59 T-Bird wouldn't start. It was out of gas. I think we've all been there done that. We have to remember the old rule to keep it simple.
wouldn't want to do that with an airplane...

you are correct - keep it simple

thanks !
Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Really glad it worked out Pete.

As for your alternator, next time you're at Parts Source or possibly where you purchased the rebuilt have the old alternator tested. If it's good then keep it as a spare or maybe other member maybe in need ot it one day.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Really glad it worked out Pete.

As for your alternator, next time you're at Parts Source or possibly where you purchased the rebuilt have the old alternator tested. If it's good then keep it as a spare or maybe other member maybe in need ot it one day.
Here ya go again Pete......a day late, and a dollar short....
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Spocc
Drifting

its been a good week-end, i drove the Batmobile to work again tonight...fires strong & runs perfect...life is good ...don't have to worry about cranking the tunes with a brand new battery & alternator

thanks again guys !!!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Glad it all worked out Pete, my next place will have a garage big enough that I'll be able to put a lift in so I can get under the vette without doing my back in. I've had some batteries last 10 yrs other barely make it through 2. Have to take mine over to Midas as a clamp must have let go just as we were lag Thornbury yesterday- made a hell of a racket banging underneath until I could get up to speed and away from that pulsating lope at low rpm.

Hope to see you both again this summer.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Originally Posted by gdh
Glad it all worked out Pete, my next place will have a garage big enough that I'll be able to put a lift in so I can get under the vette without doing my back in. I've had some batteries last 10 yrs other barely make it through 2. Have to take mine over to Midas as a clamp must have let go just as we were lag Thornbury yesterday- made a hell of a racket banging underneath until I could get up to speed and away from that pulsating lope at low rpm.

Hope to see you both again this summer.
yes Greg
Nancy & i would love to cruise with our C3 buds again

yer 72 behind me there...that was a delightful run, lead by a gracious host

i haven't heard from Todd in awhile, everyone else has been on the forum

thats Todd in the #3 car, i've nicked him "the intimidator"

Last edited by Spocc; 05-07-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: pics

Quick Reply: Alternator