Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the Story behind your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 AM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Amazing stories and pics of the C3. I miss my old 78 Pace Car.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Traded my 2001 HD Shriners bike I bought in Ohio and drove to San Diego. Wife was afraid of riding on back of it (she sat too high) but loves riding on back of my 1999 Softail custom so traded bike for '77 Stingray. It lost garage space when new Hyundai Sonata came home to live in 2015. Couldn't stand it not being in garage so sold it in 2015...fast forward to 2018 and saw what looked like my old vette on craigslist for sale at much lower price than I sold it for. Brought the not registered, abused, non shifting very dirty car on flat bed and brought it home to stay, got it all straightened out and looking good again.

The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 AM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

White C3s look amazing.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 PM
number3
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Default hot or not ?

Hi guys , a buddy of mine has a chance to buy a later model corvette but the car has no title . Is there a website where he can check the vin to see if its been stolen or not ? thanks for your help
Old 04-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by number3
Hi guys , a buddy of mine has a chance to buy a later model corvette but the car has no title . Is there a website where he can check the vin to see if its been stolen or not ? thanks for your help
Wrong forum. Contact your local DMV authorities.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 PM
JillsVette
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1977

Ever since my wife and I met she has always wanted a C3, her uncle had a 1972 chocolate brown which she was in love with. Me, I'm a FoMoCo guy it has always been that way since I can remember. This past year Jill and I celebrated 32 years together and I wanted to make sure she got her Corvette. Last spring 2017 my old cat needed some serious engine work and that really bummed her out because she loves to go to car shows and see all the handy work other people have done. My car is a daily i don't care kinda rat rodish cougar, out of commission all summer while the motor was getting done.

Jill wanted to go to the local show one night and there was her '72, a burgundy C3 for sale for just 28,000. She drooled over it for awhile and spoke to the owner while I was talking to his buddy about a Red 77 that was for sale on craigslist. We looked at a bunch of vettes from 1970 to the 80's the early C3's were way beyond our price range and most of the others were in a box but affordable. I have worked on cars all my life and a car in a box is never complete so I did not want anything we couldn't test drive. After 6 weeks of trying we finally got ahold of the Craigslist owner of a Red 77. We drove it knowing it would need some work and damn I was right. Late September we brought it home with just 2 car shows remaining, It has a 30 foot paint job but has been totally mechanically rebuilt over the winter, except the 350. All new interior and wiring everything works just a few little bugs to work out but to see the smile on her face when Jill pulled it out of the garage the other day was priceless. She helps with the things she can, not afraid to get her hands dirty, the first car show is this coming this Saturday and JillsVette will be there, I'll try to keep up with my ole '68..

Matt and Jill
San Diego Ron (05-05-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:11 AM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Corvette Summer was my favorite movie of all time.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:44 PM
birdie1322
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our story about our 81' Vette. My wife's brother rebuilds cars as a hobby. He did this one about 8-9 years ago, played with it for about 1-2 years. He started to rebuild other cars. After his 3rd or 4th
rebuild, he needed the room. I asked him about it, gave us a great deal, so we bought it. The reason for buying this 1981 Vette - We were married in 1981!!!
Old 05-12-2018, 09:37 AM
AUS72
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought a 72 coupe in 2013 as a project car that was over here in Aus. Being a shift worker with plenty of time I needed something to do. The car was red in colour, fairly rough though, the interior was crap and needed a lot of parts, wiring loom had been butchered and no windscreen wiper components. The bird cage and frame are rust free and motor and trans ok. After going to USA for a holiday with family grabbed a few goodies and came home to get the car on the road. After three years the car was on the road with all mods done to meet Australian standards. Being the person I am the only place the car went was to get a road worthy certificate that is required here. Drove it around for a year then it was time for paint. Went back to the original colour ( Ontario orange) that I also painted, now it's time for horsepower and plan to pull the motor and trans next week. While it's out I will also change the headlights to electric motors and thermo fans.
Attached Images   

Last edited by AUS72; 05-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AUS72:
Jstan2014 (12-19-2018), Metalhead140 (05-14-2018), phil48315 (05-13-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 11:28 AM
phil48315
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AUS72
Bought a 72 coupe in 2013 as a project car that was over here in Aus. Being a shift worker with plenty of time I needed something to do. The car was red in colour, fairly rough though, the interior was crap and needed a lot of parts, wiring loom had been butchered and no windscreen wiper components. The bird cage and frame are rust free and motor and trans ok. After going to USA for a holiday with family grabbed a few goodies and came home to get the car on the road. After three years the car was on the road with all mods done to meet Australian standards. Being the person I am the only place the car went was to get a road worthy certificate that is required here. Drove it around for a year then it was time for paint. Went back to the original colour ( Ontario orange) that I also painted, now it's time for horsepower and plan to pull the motor and trans next week. While it's out I will also change the headlights to electric motors and thermo fans.
Sound like a neat project ! Share some pics when you can.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:58 PM
backyardsinger
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1st and only vette

I was 7 years old growing up in Florida when my uncle drove down from New Jersey in a 68 corvette he bought from a guy that could not make the payments on it. He took me for a 5 minute ride and let me steer the car I was hooked but broke most of my life.My mothers second husband had a 80 vette and the first day I met him he gave me the jjeys to go to the store my now wife then girlfreind was with me at a red light in Daytona a trans am pulled up and reved the engine the light changed he took off I just took it easy my wife asked why and all I could say was this is a vette I dont have to prove it.after raising 2 kids I told my wife at age 49 only 1 year left if I don't get a vette before I turn 50 I will never buy one, 2 weeks after by 49th b day I found a 76 L48 for 5000 it needed a lot of mechanical help and interior is not great but all numbers matching totally original so I got it 3 years ago I drive it a couple days a week and have stuck with my plan mechanics 1st looks second the paint is good and I get tons of thumbs up grand kids think it's the coolest car in the world even though there is no radio or I pod crap my granddaughter rides and just says "move over people Papaw wants to go fast"
Metalhead140 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:35 AM
Darnell van Wyk
1st Gear

Default What C3 is this?

Hi,

I live in South Africa, sadly we barely have any corvettes here. We have car loving culture and you often see high-end exotic and jdm cars, but very few American muscle cars. I'm not exaggerating when I say I see less than 1 corvette a year.

About 15 years ago (when I was about 7), my dad owned this red C3 Corvette. I don't even know if it is regarded as a classic or even cool Corvette, but it was the coolest thing ever. When my dad drove me to school everyone always pointed and stared. Long story short, our family got bigger, fuel prices almost doubled and he had to sell it for next to nothing (worst mistake ever).

Can anyone tell me what year C3 this is, and why it doesn't have pop up headlights? And some specs if possible.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Impossible to really say what year, because it's been modified. The headlights are not stock (all had popup headlights from the factory). It has a modified 80-82 front bumper, but the bonnet looks like an earlier one. Would need more pictures to try and identify what year it was originally, but a cool modified c3 for sure!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:13 AM
phil48315
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

It looks like in 1977 they switched to the painted sport mirror.....
The chrome mirror is 76 and older.

I have to agree with metalhead 140....need some more pics to be sure.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:04 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do the turn signals have clear '80 type lenses? I've been looking for those.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:08 AM
haarvik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have wanted a Corvette ever since I rode in my uncle's '67 back in the early 70's. Fast forward to nearly three years ago and I finally got one. It was a mess. When I got it home, it ran but just barely. I figured out the guy who owned it before me had the firing order all wrong. Got that corrected and began to long road to restoration.

So far I have replaced the intake gasket, rod bearings, exhaust, new carpet (it was all missing when I bought it), oil pump, window switches, glove box lock, sill plates and a bunch of other small odd and ends. I have yet to drive if any further than the car wash or around the block for testing purposes. Hoping this is the summer I finally get it back on the road and get to enjoy the fruits of my labors.
Metalhead140 (05-21-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 06:22 PM
jrial
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always wanted one, finally got one 4 years ago.

Went to pick it up in the Netherlands and drove it home on export plates. Those were valid for a week, so I took it in to work that first week because my boss wanted to see it. At lunch time, a colleague tells me he needed to go to the shop since he didn't bring any food. Since I had to go as well, I figured, what the heck? How often do you get to drive to the shop in a '76 Corvette to buy a microwave meal, right? It had rained a bit, and the road was slightly wet. But I wanted to show off a bit, so I hit that accelerator just a smidge too hard on launch while steering onto the road. Now, it's a small block '76, but it was way more horsepower than my daily driver at the time - a Corsa. It had rather worn rear tyres, and god knows how long they'd been on there? And to top it off: my very first RWD... So you can guess what happened next, right? After doing a 360, we ended up on the other side of the road, right between a ditch and the local gas station. We both looked at each other with a mixture of terror and "hot DAMN, that was COOL!" At which point I wisely proclaimed "let's not try that again then, shall we?"

Afterwards I learned that while those export plates were indeed valid for a week, that didn't mean you could simply drive that car wherever you wanted. Drive it home? Yes. To a garage? I believe so. To work to show off your new acquisition? Hell no! So not only did I nearly total my new precious during the first week of ownership, but if I hadn't been so lucky as to avoid an accident, I don't know what legal trouble I would've been in.

But boy, was that fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the Story behind your C3?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 PM
72greg
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought my 72 in 1997. We have 3 kids, at the time they were small and I would find an interesting old car to go look at and I'd take one of them with me. It was to give mom a break and some 1 on 1 time for me with each of my kids. That went on for about 18 months. I had no intention of buying a car. When I saw the car that I'd eventually buy it was like I "knew" I needed to buy it. It smelled like a wet dog that smoked. It was a car that had been a driver for it's entire life and was in need of a complete restoration, but, it drove. I bought it in Kings Mountain NC and drove it home to Cary NC. On the way home I had no fewer than 6 people hit the horn and wave at me. I had no idea what was up with that! I was a bit naive to say the least. Over time we rebuilt the car from the ground up. It was not an original car and I was saving it from a worse fate, so, we took some liberties to mildly customize it. I told my wife that she could pick out the paint. It was originally Steel Cities Grey, my wife hated that color. Initially she picked a beautiful C4 ZR1 specific color called Black Rose Metallic - when we got to the shop the owner looked at my car and said we didn't want to paint it that color - he kindly told me that the amount of labor to get the body smooth for black paint wasn't worth it on my car. So, we settled on a late model Lexus color called Break Water Blue - it's not a correct color but it "looks" right nonetheless. Probably the most awesome day was when I had 3 guys that I met on the forum drive their vettes to my house to work on my buggy. It was awesome having their rides rumble into my culdesac and a memory I'll never forget. I've been absent for about 10 years - the part that I loved about the car was the fraternity that is classic cars and corvettes in particular. It's a great family we have, made a ton of memories and friends along the way. Now that the kids are all grown and we're empty nesters I'm needing to invest some more energy into my buggy and get it to the next level.

Last edited by 72greg; 06-16-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo
Metalhead140 (07-06-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 10:58 PM
Nesher
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not my story of my Corvette, but I still love that my car has a "backstory".
She was a school teacher, he was a construction worker in Fairfield Illinois. When they got married in 1970, they bought a brand new Corvette Coupe, and drove it to Banff Canada then California for their honeymoon. (Where did they store their luggage/clothes?)
Over the next ten years, they put 79K miles on the Vette.
He died in a construction accident in 1980. Given all the sentiments involved, she parked the car in the garage and never drove it again. Several folks in town knew there was a '70 Coupe in the garage, but she couldn't stand to let it go no matter the offer.
In 2011, she was ready to move somewhere warmer and so finally decided to let her nephew sell the car for her. It was sold to a local restorer in 2012, and I bought it in October 2013, and just got it to my house two weeks ago (long story!).
Of course, the first trip was with my bride of 27 years!

Last edited by Nesher; 06-25-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Spelling error
phil48315 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 03:12 AM
1982bluevette
Heel & Toe

Default is it ok to call a 82 a stingray?

In the vette community is it ok to call my 82 a stingray? i knkw technically they stopped in 74! people always say nice stingray! 😬 thanks

Quick Reply: Whats the Story behind your C3?