C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found Unmolested 1974 Convertible L48 - Need Help PLease!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM
shrev94412
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found Unmolested 1974 Convertible L48 - Need Help PLease!

I have located a barn find 1974 Corvette Convertible L48 Automatic, White with Red/Tan interior ALL ORIGINAL, Matching Frame, Engine Block, Original numbers on Exhaust Manifold, Intake Manifold, transmission and Carb. Has new Fuel Tank, gas lines, brakes and tires. Everything else is original. It has been repainted at some point, lousy paint job. VIN says all clear and no negative history. VIN matches frame and title.

The car needs Paint, Interior and the engine compartment although all original (Including Air that blows warm) is very tired. Looks 40 years old but engine runs great and sounds perfect. The car pulls to right, could just be alignment. No Rust damage. Car has been in VERY Dry Climate past 24 years.

So.....What is it gonna cost me approximately, assuming engine is ok, to restore this car to show quality condition. 1st Option would be a bare metal restore, Cost? 2nd option would be to refresh engine compartment and strip and repaint and refresh interior. I will be hiring the work to be done. I have no time for the rebuild. Everything in interior works except clock, of course. Everything else on car works fine, headlights etc.....

I know there are alot of thing to consider but I am looking for ball park numbers and any other comments.

Seller is Asking $12,000....I think I might could get it for $9,000. Still seems high to me.... Please advise...Call upon the experts here.... Thank you.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shrev94412

So.....What is it gonna cost me approximately, assuming engine is ok, to restore this car to show quality condition. 1st Option would be a bare metal restore, Cost?
Minimum $30K, most likely $50K and you'll have maybe a $15-$20K car for your trouble.

Bare metal restore?

How can people call cars 'ALL ORIGINAL' with new Fuel Tank, gas lines, brakes and tires and been repainted at some point?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 AM
shrev94412
3rd Gear

Default Agreed...for most part original

Agreed....it's 95 percent original....I guess after 40 years you have to replace tires an fuel tank....they just don't last that long. I was amazed that the engine had never been touched...Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a pristine 1974 454 4speed convertible listed in the for sale section here which is spectacular. It has been redone to an exacting standard with no expense spared and the owner only wants $30K. If you want a 74 convertible don't waste any time fooling with a restoration... get down to Florida and buy that car.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Jasonb86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run, don't walk from the car, unfortunately. Even if you did all the work yourself and only subbed out paint and suspension work, you'd be in it another $15k easily. If I didn't have time I'd look for a cherry example and pay more $ for it. Though with what he's asking, I wouldn't think it would be too much more. Sellers of cars like that rarely know what it would really cost to restore them. Or if they do, then that's why they're selling it..
Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably not what you want to hear but I see no way you could hire out a frame up rebuild of a 74 that would ever be worth it financially even if the car was free. Unless there is some personal attachment to the car, and it doesn't sound like there is, it doesn't make sense.

I am doing a frame up on a 72 doing much but not all of the work myself and will have at least $25k- $30k into it when done. I have owned the car for 27 years so it is worth it to me but when I am done it will be a $18k car on a good day.

One of the biggest and most overlooked expenses is paint and body work. When you strip off the paint you will need some body work even if it is marginal it isn't cheap. You said a show car condition so just the body work with paint is $10k on the low end if someone else is doing the work. That is just the body. Now you need to strip the frame meaning suspension work. Add in interior and chrome and are you really going to trust that motor in a show car?

All this for a car that you could buy all done for $20k and be in show mode.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You may well end up with 30 grand in this car to make it showroom.
On the other hand, you will look long and hard for a car in the condition you described for less than 9 grand. Probably more if in Cali because of the emissions testing exemption.

The solution is a cheap paint job, interior repaint/refresh, do a diy complete detailing and hope you stay under 16 grand.
With decent paint (not show quality) decent interior and everything working, it would probably sell for that in a decent time frame.
This does not include any enjoyment depreciation.

Not all cars need to be brought back perfectly.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
72and86
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I have located a barn find 1974 Corvette Convertible L48 Automatic, White with Red/Tan interior ALL ORIGINAL, Matching Frame, Engine Block, Original numbers on Exhaust Manifold, Intake Manifold, transmission and Carb. Has new Fuel Tank, gas lines, brakes and tires. Everything else is original. It has been repainted at some point, lousy paint job. VIN says all clear and no negative history. VIN matches frame and title.

The car needs Paint, Interior and the engine compartment although all original (Including Air that blows warm) is very tired. Looks 40 years old but engine runs great and sounds perfect. The car pulls to right, could just be alignment. No Rust damage. Car has been in VERY Dry Climate past 24 years.

So.....What is it gonna cost me approximately, assuming engine is ok, to restore this car to show quality condition. 1st Option would be a bare metal restore, Cost? 2nd option would be to refresh engine compartment and strip and repaint and refresh interior. I will be hiring the work to be done. I have no time for the rebuild. Everything in interior works except clock, of course. Everything else on car works fine, headlights etc.....

I know there are alot of thing to consider but I am looking for ball park numbers and any other comments.

Seller is Asking $12,000....I think I might could get it for $9,000. Still seems high to me.... Please advise...Call upon the experts here.... Thank you.
Probably lottsa hidden problems you'll find later. For a no-chrome bumper Vette, I'd say find one someone already restored (if you don't like doing the work...). Lots of deals in this economy!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM
shrev94412
3rd Gear

Default Thank You!

Thank you so much for your valuable comments. Agree with all and makes good sense. I Will look for something already restored. Already notified seller that I am gonna pass. Just in case someone else is interested the car is listed on Lubbock Texas Craigslist. Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sounds like it could be a nice '74. I am assuming you mean tan for the folding top color since there were no two-toned interiors for '74.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This depends on what you plan on doing with the car..

I currently have 6 Corvettes in my garage all in show condition (except need to be washed lol) FOUR of them sound a lot like the 74 you were looking at...I purchased them ONLY because I needed another project ...in 2-3 years when one is done I start looking for another... (still got room for one more )..BUT working space is now kind of limited.. lol ...

Bottom line..while I refuse to keep track of the money I put into each car I know darn well that I'M UPSIDE DOWN on every one of them

BUT I don't care..its a hobby and I relax and enjoy rebuilding (not going to call it restoring) the cars... besides all my hobbies cost me money... !!!

Bob G.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I am assuming you mean tan for the folding top color since there were no two-toned interiors for '74.

But-but-but it's 'all original'

Old 06-01-2012, 02:16 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

How can people call cars 'ALL ORIGINAL' with new Fuel Tank, gas lines, brakes and tires and been repainted at some point?
Maybe the oil was never changed.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by markids77
There is a pristine 1974 454 4speed convertible listed in the for sale section here which is spectacular. It has been redone to an exacting standard with no expense spared and the owner only wants $30K. If you want a 74 convertible don't waste any time fooling with a restoration... get down to Florida and buy that car.
the car you are looking at will be a money pit based upon your own description of the desired completed product.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

From the craigslist pics and your description, it would easily sell for $12,000.00 here in S Florida.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you so much for your valuable comments. Agree with all and makes good sense. I Will look for something already restored. Already notified seller that I am gonna pass. Just in case someone else is interested the car is listed on Lubbock Texas Craigslist. Thanks
Hey, we have a smart one here! Good for you and hope you find what you are looking for.

Danny
Old 06-02-2012, 12:50 AM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Sounds like it could be a nice '74. I am assuming you mean tan for the folding top color since there were no two-toned interiors for '74.

And I don't believe tan tops were an option in 74. Even though I have one on mine!

Get notified of new replies

To Found Unmolested 1974 Convertible L48 - Need Help PLease!

Quick Reply: Found Unmolested 1974 Convertible L48 - Need Help PLease!