Sponsored by:

Comp Cams High Energy series cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Comp Cams High Energy series cams

I would like to hear some opinions on the High Energy series cams from Comp Cams. They are a pretty old grind, I remember they were available when I was just a young guy, back in the day.

The series features cams that are ground straight, (intake and exhaust lobe same lift and duration) have a 110 LSA, and a hydraulic intensity of around 50 degrees. I am thinking that, if used with a set of Dart SHP 180cc intake port, 64cc combustion chamber heads, the straight grind might work well, because the head has a very good intake to exhaust flow ratio, and my car has a 2 1/2" dual exhaust system with no cat and Magnaflow mufflers. (block-hugger headers, though, thinking about going to full length headers) Another angle is that the hydraulic intensity might make for an easier cam break-in. You never really hear about people wiping lobes with the High Energy series cams. This might be because Comp Cams doesn't sell very many of them anymore, what with the newer grinds available, I don't know.

The plan is to take a stock '80 L48 short block, and install the Dart SHP heads, and a cam, engine still in car. '80 'vette, th-350 tranny, (700-r4 swap planned before engine mods) 3.07 diff gear. I'm looking for an engine that will pull hard right off idle, using a stock converter. Presently, the plan involves either a XE256H, or XE262H cam, but I have been lookin' at the HE260H, and the HE268H cams.

The engine work will not be done for at least a year, so right now, I'm just exploring ideas. What do ya think?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by scottyp99
I would like to hear some opinions on the High Energy series cams from Comp Cams. They are a pretty old grind, I remember they were available when I was just a young guy, back in the day.

The series features cams that are ground straight, (intake and exhaust lobe same lift and duration) have a 110 LSA, and a hydraulic intensity of around 50 degrees. I am thinking that, if used with a set of Dart SHP 180cc intake port, 64cc combustion chamber heads, the straight grind might work well, because the head has a very good intake to exhaust flow ratio, and my car has a 2 1/2" dual exhaust system with no cat and Magnaflow mufflers. (block-hugger headers, though, thinking about going to full length headers) Another angle is that the hydraulic intensity might make for an easier cam break-in. You never really hear about people wiping lobes with the High Energy series cams. This might be because Comp Cams doesn't sell very many of them anymore, what with the newer grinds available, I don't know.

The plan is to take a stock '80 L48 short block, and install the Dart SHP heads, and a cam, engine still in car. '80 'vette, th-350 tranny, (700-r4 swap planned before engine mods) 3.07 diff gear. I'm looking for an engine that will pull hard right off idle, using a stock converter. Presently, the plan involves either a XE256H, or XE262H cam, but I have been lookin' at the HE260H, and the HE268H cams.

The engine work will not be done for at least a year, so right now, I'm just exploring ideas. What do ya think?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Ahhh, somebody got the bug. LOL. I can tell you that the cam I installed (xe268h) did not improve my off the line response. It did deff. improve my speed/(quicker) from second all the way up the RPM's. But and this is a big "BUT", I have not changed the heads or the converter. My next project is a stall converter, followed by a head change. I believe you already know what I have done to my car, so I won't go into that detail. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by daanbc
Ahhh, somebody got the bug. LOL. I can tell you that the cam I installed (xe268h) did not improve my off the line response. It did deff. improve my speed/(quicker) from second all the way up the RPM's. But and this is a big "BUT", I have not changed the heads or the converter. My next project is a stall converter, followed by a head change. I believe you already know what I have done to my car, so I won't go into that detail. GOOD LUCK!!
Yeah, I don't want to get involved with converter and gear changes, so I'm trying to stay conservative with the cam choice. You're still running the th350 tranny, aren't you? A switch to a 700-r4 would give you some more gear in first and second, might help. But bring money!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Years ago I ran a Comp HE-268 in my 355. It was not too bad with a near stock stall (2000), but I felt with my past experience with Edelbrock cams, I should have just run the Edelbrock Performer. That Edelbrock cam (204/214@.05 if I remember right) had waaaay more punch off idle and pulled decent to 5500 in a stock 355.

The next mod I'd recommend is rear gears. Huge gains with little impact on the rest of the combo.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Yeah, I don't want to get involved with converter and gear changes, so I'm trying to stay conservative with the cam choice. You're still running the th350 tranny, aren't you? A switch to a 700-r4 would give you some more gear in first and second, might help. But bring money!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Your correct! But I really don't want to change out right now. I don't know if it's an exact fit, then all the little things that come along with the install. Right now I am enjoying running the car. It was layed up longer then expected trying to get it all buttoned up and have everything working correctly with no leaks.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by daanbc
Your correct! But I really don't want to change out right now. I don't know if it's an exact fit, then all the little things that come along with the install. Right now I am enjoying running the car. It was layed up longer then expected trying to get it all buttoned up and have everything working correctly with no leaks.

Oh, hell yes! The summertime is for drivin' it, not for swappin' in engines and transmissions and stuff! Do that stuff in the wintertime!

I'm glad to hear your car has been running well, what with all the problems you had after the cam swap.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Comp Cams High Energy series cams

Quick Reply: Comp Cams High Energy series cams