Sponsored by:

Can you identify these wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texasbaehr
Appliance made 15" bolt on Chrome wire wheels in the 70's that made it on a lot of hot rods and Vettes. I believe they only came with 4.5" BS hence the need for the spacers. You have extended shank lugnuts which is the only way to make the use of spacers safe. However the spacers you have are not hubcentric and the bolt holes are elongated to accomadate universal bolt patterns. With those spacers it is very difficult to center them and your wheels will never be in proper balance. If you plan to keep the wheels, then search for a set of hubcentric spacers of the same thickness and proper 4.75" pattern.
Those wheels are actually fairly rare in that condition but tough to sell.
Thanks for the reply. i noticed hubcentric spacers are a min of 1 inch thick....this will put the wheels out half inch more.

Great reply, short, to the point, good info.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

search a bit more , you can get them as narrow as 3/4 and once in awhile1/2". some mods required, like cutting the end of your base wheel studs to flush with the spacer surface. Put them on my 87 with ZO6 wheels , no issues
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity are the wheels the same as the Cregar Star Wire wheels that I sent you a picture of... ???

To mount these wheels I ground down TWP long flanged lug nuts that were about 2 inches long.. just hand screw them on 2 of the 5 lugs to hold the tire in position so I can easily put the other 3 lug nuts on then remove the lone "studs" and put the last 2 regular lug nuts on.. (Royal pain but sure beats trying to mount them just using teh regular lug nuts...)

Bob G
Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24695bob
Just out of curiosity are the wheels the same as the Cregar Star Wire wheels that I sent you a picture of... ???

To mount these wheels I ground down TWP long flanged lug nuts that were about 2 inches long.. just hand screw them on 2 of the 5 lugs to hold the tire in position so I can easily put the other 3 lug nuts on then remove the lone "studs" and put the last 2 regular lug nuts on.. (Royal pain but sure beats trying to mount them just using teh regular lug nuts...)

Bob G
Bob, I will have o take another look. The ones you have are VERY similar to tru-spokes to Appliance wheels. Very hard to tell the different. Ill check again soon, Ill let you know
Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by rafalc
A picture is worth a 1000 words.....

The nuts are 2 inches long, looks like their long sleeve captures a lot of the stud:

Opinions? Concerns?
McGard makes "shank style" lug nuts with extended length shanks. Check their website, and compare the length of the shank of the lugs you have, vs. what McGard offers. The longest possible shank (that doesn't bottom out on the hub) will provide the most thread engagement.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

what the OP has is wheels from a drum brake car....to fit a Vette with calipers its necessary to use the spacers as they {the wheels} are not cut out or made on the back side for caliper equipped Vettes
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
cb.bums
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
Looks like Tru-Spokes . . .
i'd contact Dayton Wire Wheel, Dayton,OH, they probably could help
Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
what the OP has is wheels from a drum brake car....to fit a Vette with calipers its necessary to use the spacers as they {the wheels} are not cut out or made on the back side for caliper equipped Vettes
I agree with what you're saying...sort of. The Corvettes had HUGE calipers, by comparison to other cars of the day. Only a couple of aftermarket wheels back then, even those designed for disc brakes, would clear the Corvette's calipers, so as much as I detest them, spacers were necessary.

Quick Reply: Can you identify these wheels?