Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth any kind of offer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im no expert but Id think if you were going to do a modern motor upgrade and a 5 speed or modern transmission youre better off starting without the old stuff in there.No guilt about messing up a car that could heve been restored. If its solid its a blank canvas,go nuts on it
Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
E12n
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Maybe an easier scenerio, don't know if it's ever been done, build a C3 from scratch using parts from all the Vendors out there, that's pretty much what you'll be doing with that wreck but everything will be brand new.

The windshield SS trim on top has rotted through if I am seeing correctly, that's pretty hard to find one that bad, go for it, but talk to one person on this forum in this thread from Ontario, Steve stpman before you buy and see what he has to say about the car and the work involved to get it up to snuff
I've thought about that too, but figured you at least needed a VIN. Of course, maybe that's what you get for $900
Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Going tomorrow after work to take a good look at it and will have my camera. My money will stay nicely settled in my pocket if it won't be something I can enjoy doing. I've seen running C3's up here on Kijiji and Craigslist with what appear to be a better starting point for under $4,000. I'm figuring I'd be looking at what, at least a grand for an engine and transmission for this car? But as has been mentioned, it doesn't have to be original. I haven't cleared a spot beside the C5 yet.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 518 Likes on 315 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default $9000. . . More like $500 or maybe not at all.

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Not for the faint of heart, or me either. Might be what you are looking for, but my first thought is unless you have an engine and trans laying around, I'd think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a running/driving car. In fact, considering evything you will have to sink into this, you might come out cheaper buying a C3 that is already restored.

If you are looking for a big challange, this might be for you.
I restored my 1979 'Barn Find' it took me 12 years and I was able to win a NCRS second flight award on her. But I would NEVER do it again. Way to much pain and drama with it. There are hundreds of these C3's sitting arond. &9 wasn't a great year, it was the heavist and the greatest production number car next to the 1984 Corvette. Do your self a favor, move on and find something with a little more life left in it. Just my $0.02 But I still have the scars to show the battle wounds.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Well. I just got home from looking at the "Car". I guess the only way I could describe it is that Jesus Christ the Lord and Chip Foose couldn't bring this sad sad example of a classic car back to life.. One chunk out of the rear fender, one giant crack in the front one.. windshield cracked, paint missing, doors not fitting right. Hood not attached, headlight bucket bulb holders rusted.. etc. frame from what I saw under the doors is rusted with some small holes. I didn't dare crawl underneath. I broke the news to the poor young fella that maybe $400 was all it was worth to take as it sits and he could probably get 900 if he took it apart himself and peddled the bits. The seats looked decent and he did have some new items in boxes but the other interior bits in the car had mould stains on them. ick..
I think I'll move on unless he'll take 400 and I'll part it out myself until I find something..

Thanks again for all the input..

Quick Reply: Worth any kind of offer?