Covvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Default Covvette

My car is all freshly painted and looking at the long road ahead to get back on the road, thought I'd do something to make the quest brighter by putting all the insignia back on the car.

First up the "CORVETTE" lettering on the tail. That'll be quick.

I've got a brand new bag to replace my blistered old letters which I've saved in a baggie. I take the acorn style speed nuts which I've saved in the old bag out and go to spin one on. Doesn't fit, too loose, the post is a couple of thousandths smaller. And by the way wonder how would the NCRS guys deal with this?

Anyway, not to worry, I've got a brand new speed nut kit as well. Look for something close. Nothing. So I hammer on them for a while until they fit. OK, time to put the letters in.

Hmmm. The first locater pin is a little bit off. Check the bag, yep, 68-73, should be OK. Now I have to redrill that hole until the letter seats. Look for the right size drill etc. etc.

"C" goes in. Drill some more, "O" goes in. Looking for "R". Nope, got two "V's" in the bag. Oh well, "CO-VETTE" is now on there. Would look pretty good if I had the new letter. Now have to wait till Monday to probably hear "Please listen as our phone menu has recently changed" blah, blah, blah.

What should have been a 10 minute job with instant gratification turns into a couple day affair. I started this project in June 2011 and figured I'd be done by the end of that year. Oh how wrong that was!

I'm wondering if it is like this for the rest of you guys?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM
chadronvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yes, took two weeks to get the mirrors back on. One is still a little loose as I galled up the inside. Working on a vette is like doing math...if its easy, your doing it wrong : )
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Not me but with my dad's radiator replacement, it took about 2 (almost 3) months. Had to reorder radiator supports 3 times before getting the right one. Bad thing about the whole issue is that on two occasions, he had to wait weeks due to backorders just to get the wrong part. This was even after talking to the vendor techs on the phone explaining what he needed and why the one he recieved would not work.

Terry
Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

This reminds me of the time a friend had his Vette repainted. When the body shop put the lettering back on, they switched the R and the V.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ig,
Sometimes:
an hour becomes a day.
a weekend becomes a month
a couple months become a year
a couple years become a decade
a few things then need to be re-done, again
It's all in fun!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Co-Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
My car is all freshly painted and looking at the long road ahead to get back on the road, thought I'd do something to make the quest brighter by putting all the insignia back on the car.

First up the "CORVETTE" lettering on the tail. That'll be quick.

I've got a brand new bag to replace my blistered old letters which I've saved in a baggie. I take the acorn style speed nuts which I've saved in the old bag out and go to spin one on. Doesn't fit, too loose, the post is a couple of thousandths smaller. And by the way wonder how would the NCRS guys deal with this?

Anyway, not to worry, I've got a brand new speed nut kit as well. Look for something close. Nothing. So I hammer on them for a while until they fit. OK, time to put the letters in.

Hmmm. The first locater pin is a little bit off. Check the bag, yep, 68-73, should be OK. Now I have to redrill that hole until the letter seats. Look for the right size drill etc. etc.

"C" goes in. Drill some more, "O" goes in. Looking for "R". Nope, got two "V's" in the bag. Oh well, "CO-VETTE" is now on there. Would look pretty good if I had the new letter. Now have to wait till Monday to probably hear "Please listen as our phone menu has recently changed" blah, blah, blah.

What should have been a 10 minute job with instant gratification turns into a couple day affair. I started this project in June 2011 and figured I'd be done by the end of that year. Oh how wrong that was!

I'm wondering if it is like this for the rest of you guys?
So what's the problem?

Seriously I'm with you guys. Last summer's "Saturday morning" project to replace weatherstripping ran over three plus days. On my workbench are the bushings for the headlight motors, for when I have a full day available to do the one hour job...but I agree, it's all in fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Covvette

Quick Reply: Covvette