Sponsored by:

1970 Corvette Bronze Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Lakecreature
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1970 Corvette Bronze Questions

I am about to paint my original '70 Big Block 4 spd Convertible. It is a Corvette Bronze car, and I am doing it in laquer. I know, I have heard all of the negatives and positives, but this is a special car I feel, and it has a tank sheet to boot.

When the paint company looks up the formula (They sell PPG Duracryl), it just says 'Dellstar Reference', with no color mix, but they do have a color formula for '68 Corvette Bronze

QUEESTIONS:

1] Is the '68 Bronze the same color / formula? I had been told a while back that they were slightly different, and the paint company guy says that the original GM chips look slightly different, with the '70 color a bit darker. Also on Paintref.com, the color codes for bothe PPG and Dupont on these colors is different year to year.

2] I did find the PPG (2264) and Dupont (5128LM) formulas, but does does anyone know the actual paint mix formula that cros references to PPG?

Thanks,
Dennis Decina
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

I wouldn't be able to answer your question, but I know different brand paints, seem to have a slight different contrast as a final product.
So if you want exact...check with folks with same color for best choices.
At a glance your paint will look right, but to a perfectionist or next to an exact other, maybe not.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Lakecreature
...Is the '68 Bronze the same color...
Apparently not. http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/ The codes in the link appear to be taken from the Corvette Parts and Illustration Catalog used by Chevrolet dealers.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakecreature

QUEESTIONS:

1] Is the '68 Bronze the same color / formula? I had been told a while back that they were slightly different, and the paint company guy says that the original GM chips look slightly different, with the '70 color a bit darker. Also on Paintref.com, the color codes for bothe PPG and Dupont on these colors is different year to year.

2] I did find the PPG (2264) and Dupont (5128LM) formulas, but does does anyone know the actual paint mix formula that cros references to PPG?

Thanks,
Dennis Decina

1- All the paint manufacturers colors were consistent within their nomenclature. They often changed names for the same color different models and years, but never their own manufacturers code, no matter what year. Answer is no.

2-None of the chip books you'll find has that info. The only place to find it is from an original PPG mixing station. I'm sure there are an many old time parts store that mixed and sold PPG paint that may still have the old books with the formulas.

I'm sure PPG has the formulas somewhere, but getting it may be another story.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

The 1968 Corvette Bronze color is definitely a different hue of Bronze. In my opinion, it's more brown than the 1970 color. The 1970 Corvette Bronze was also a "Firemist" color, and as such I believe it had an additive to achieve that status. The paint formulas are distinctly different.
I do not have assess to my research or pics right now, but if you want to see some pics of the '68 Corvette Bronze, I can post them this evening.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

does this link help

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...ette&year=1970
Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dennis,
I think you're wise in choosing lacquer for your car.
I would recommend that you just buy as small an amount of paint as possible once you find the proper formula.
On a color as unusual as the Corvette Bronze I think spraying some test panels before you buy 2 gallons of paint would be worth the effort involved.
I'd want to compare the panels to a known original 70 bronze car before spending the rest of the $$$ on the paint.
It would be a shame to go through the work and expense of a lacquer repaint and not have the color be just right.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-19-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 Corvette Bronze Questions

Quick Reply: 1970 Corvette Bronze Questions