Sponsored by:

Any advice on shipping a birdcage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Any advice on shipping a birdcage?

So I am potentially shipping an entire birdcage to forum member 80baby. Texas to British Columbia Canada. I have mastered the art of shipping normal sized parts, but haven't ever shipped anything this big. Any tips on how to do it? Websites and or companies? Does it need to be on a pallet to ship?
Thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the folks you're using to ship it would be the best source of info. if it was shipping in the states you could just buy it a greyhound ride.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
the folks you're using to ship it would be the best source of info. if it was shipping in the states you could just buy it a greyhound ride.
I know, I am looking for folks who ship this sort of stuff. usps I dont think will appreciate me trying to fit a birdcage on one of their trucks

I have found www.uship.com does anyone have any info or experiences with that?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

That is going to be oversize, even for standard truck shipping, by that I mean normal pallet size.
If you don't have an account with a trucking firm, it is substantially more expensive anyway.
If you have any real truck stops nearby, they have bulletin boards, you might luck out.

There are also some truckers internet sites (don't have them handy) that post loads for truckers with empty hauls or even try posting craigslist ads for privates looking to offset fuel costs.

Best to sell it FOB origin.

Realistically, it would be easier and much cheaper to cut it apart and even have it professionally rewelded at the destination, than fool with shipping it whole.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:02 AM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You allways try a moving company like Mayflower or United, see if they have a truck going that way, it maybe cheaper even if you had to wait a week or so for a truck going that way. I have gotten an engine moved that way from AL to FL.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
I know, I am looking for folks who ship this sort of stuff. usps I dont think will appreciate me trying to fit a birdcage on one of their trucks

I have found www.uship.com does anyone have any info or experiences with that?
I've used uship with good experience. There is even a TV show now with some of the transporters, "Shipping Wars" on A&E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_Wars

It's basically a reverse auction. Once you recieve a bid, you can review the persons history, or company. Obviously there are going to be some "not so good" transporters, but I think they will be pretty obvious. I had a motorcycle transported from Ohio to Florida for dirt cheap.

It's mostly individuals or companies who are already transporting a load, but have extra room so they look for something to fill it up and make a little extra money.

I'd give that a shot.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

I have used uship as well with good results. Best to not be in a big hurry.

Bill
Old 12-28-2012, 03:05 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.yrc.com/

Use these guys. They are the largest Canadian company around and cover North America. They used to be called "Yellow Freight" for the longest time, before they were bought out/merged.

It's not going to be cheap.....because of the measurement of the overall size and pallet required. Weight will probably be irrelevant.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 PM
MuskieAL
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19,'23-'24

Originally Posted by chstitans42
So I am potentially shipping an entire birdcage to forum member 80baby. Texas to British Columbia Canada. I have mastered the art of shipping normal sized parts, but haven't ever shipped anything this big. Any tips on how to do it? Websites and or companies? Does it need to be on a pallet to ship?
Thanks!
I used R&L Carriers when I bought a John Deere "Gator" and had it shipped from Ontario Canada to Illinois.

I remember there motto was, "we ship anything..,anytime,..anywhere. Here's there terminal phone # near you

800-799-0182.

It will help, if you have a rough dimensions & the weight of the bird cage. Thats' pretty much how they base there

rate, (cost to you) on.

Ask to speak to someone in costumer service.They should be able to answer any of your questions. Especially on the

shipping papers.They had lift gate service when they made my delivery.

If you can deliver the cage to there nearest terminal, that saves you some $$$. They can skid it up for you there, at a added cost

I would guess. Over all I was pleased with my experience when I used them.

AL

Get notified of new replies

To Any advice on shipping a birdcage?

Quick Reply: Any advice on shipping a birdcage?