Sponsored by:

Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:29 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chazde3
Yeah it may come to that soon lol. I'm headed over to my parents in a little bit so I may pop out and take some more pics of the 68 and post them here.

Hey anyone want a flat bed car hauler lol?
Does she run?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:27 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by greendot
Does she run?
Not since she was parked unfortunately. Pretty sure we would be looking for around $3k for it. Which is roughly what the aluminum jerr-dan beds go for.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Well it's been a long time but I finally got around to doing something with this old girl. Tonight I finally got her lifted off the ground and got some different wheels that had ok tires on her so that we could move her up to the front garage for the winter. From what I saw under the body the frame doesn't look to bad. Some surface rust and minor pitting that would be expected after sitting so long. The headers are a total loss, quite a bit of rust ate through them, but I believe we have spares upstairs in the garage. I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the underside to have you all put in opinions on the rust, but will do that the next time I'm out there on Sunday.

The American Racing Vector wheels that she had on her will be heading off to Detroit Vintage Wheels to be restored in exchange for some of the extra sets of vintage wheels we have sitting around. I cant wait to see what the look cleaned up. I'm thinking of having them black powder coated with the spokes machined. Should look pretty good.

Sitting waiting for her new wheels

How low she has been sitting

I love the body lines from this angle

Nothing has changed in the engine bay

One of the rear trailing arms after getting the old wheels off. Think the brakes look ok ?.

The front rotor has seen better days

Sitting much higher now. You can see what years of weather has done to the paint

Lifted quite a bit

The paint job is a loss

Last edited by chazde3; 10-28-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Well it's been a long time but I finally got around to doing something with this old girl. Tonight I finally got her lifted off the ground and got some different wheels that had ok tires on her so that we could move her up to the front garage for the winter. From what I saw under the body the frame doesn't look to bad. Some surface rust and minor pitting that would be expected after sitting so long. The headers are a total loss, quite a bit of rust ate through them, but I believe we have spares upstairs in the garage. I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the underside to have you all put in opinions on the rust, but will do that the next time I'm out there on Sunday.

The American Racing Vector wheels that she had on her will be heading off to Detroit Vintage Wheels to be restored in exchange for some of the extra sets of vintage wheels we have sitting around. I cant wait to see what the look cleaned up. I'm thinking of having them black powder coated with the spokes machined. Should look pretty good.

Sitting waiting for her new wheels

How low she has been sitting

I love the body lines from this angle

Nothing has changed in the engine bay

One of the rear trailing arms after getting the old wheels off. Think the brakes look ok ?.

The front rotor has seen better days

Sitting much higher now. You can see what years of weather has done to the paint

Lifted quite a bit

The paint job is a loss
Awesome pics Chad, get that puppy going man, a great project, great pics, we love pics.
R
Old 10-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Fast_Eddie_Bell
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

[]

Good luck with what looks like a fun project.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie_Bell; 10-25-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: dup
Old 10-26-2014, 12:59 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

It's good to see that you're getting some time to work on the car!

Old 10-26-2014, 01:37 AM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

just found this thread , Sorry for your loss . But the memories will last and bring you joy forever .
Cant wait to see this one come alive again . God Luck and thanks for sharing .
Old 10-26-2014, 01:57 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I want to come over just to look through everything….lol
Sorry for the loss….
Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 PM
chazde3
Drifting

I'm sure any corvette guy would lol.

Scott from Detroit Vintage Wheels was over today and took quite a few wheels of our hands in exchange for restoring the wheels that were on the 68. They should be back in 2 months, long before the car is ready for them unfortunately.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:46 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I'm sure any corvette guy would lol.

Scott from Detroit Vintage Wheels was over today and took quite a few wheels of our hands in exchange for restoring the wheels that were on the 68. They should be back in 2 months, long before the car is ready for them unfortunately.
That's O.K. ................Put the restored rims on each side of the T.V. so they won't get any dust on them!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:04 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by doorgunner
That's O.K. ................Put the restored rims on each side of the T.V. so they won't get any dust on them!
Oh god my wife would kill me haha. She already doesn't like me going over to my mom's to do work, the Corvette project isn't going to go well for me lol.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 PM
chazde3
Drifting

On that note, I was over at my parents place and gave the '75 a bath while it was out of the garage waiting for a new door to be put on the garage on Wednesday. This is a bit of an odd car, a previous owner must have really liked the' 82 collectors edition because he turned this into one. Overall is in pretty decent shape for sitting. Paint on the headlights is bubbling and a few spots around the car are peeling, but overall it's pretty good. Interior is so so. I cleared a mouse nest from the glove box. The seats need to be replaced but weren't great to begin with. Carpet could be replaced as well and the rag top, front emblem and antenna need to be replaced due to a vandal years ago at our old storage building. The engine looks to be in good shape from what I could see. I may try to crank it over in the spring and freshen it up before truly tackling the '68.

Name:  f96t8v2h.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  211.2 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:10 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Chuck,

I would go through those pix and blur/block off the license plate. Some folks who cruise on the computer aren't so nice...
Old 10-27-2014, 06:04 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Hey Chuck,

I would go through those pix and blur/block off the license plate. Some folks who cruise on the computer aren't so nice...
On a 36 year old plate?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:07 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

An enterprising individual could possibly use that to get the location of the car and pay it a visit...or grab your late fathers identity. It only takes a sliver of fact to build an entire lie. You don't need to be a member to read these posts.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

An enterprising individual could possibly use that to get the location of the car and pay it a visit...or grab your late fathers identity. It only takes a sliver of fact to build an entire lie. You don't need to be a member to read these posts.
Its such a wonderful world we live in, And don't forget if someone does steal your identity it is your fault for not protecting it.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Valid I suppose. I didn't think it would matter on such an old plate. I'll have to edit them later and replace them in the post.

Get notified of new replies

To Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

I was freaked out to the point of paranoia when my father passed, but dead people vote (and other things).
Old 10-28-2014, 01:54 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Haha right. I just didn't think anything about that with a car that hasn't been registered since a few years before I was born Haha. I will be taking care of those pics tonight when I get home.

So onto the corvette project fun-ness. It looks like a long as my friend doesn't bail on me, which I fully expect him to because it's common, we will be pulling the 68 up to the newly enclosed front garage at my parents on Saturday. I'm planning on taking the removable hard top off once I get it up there and checking the body mounts for rust. I feel that I'm going to have to pull the body to replace the tank and lines. And check out the rest of the frame.

Hopefully this winter I can brave the unheated garage and at least pull out the disgusting seats and carpet out of it in preparation for a new interior.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:15 PM
grantstigers
Melting Slicks

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts

Haha right. I just didn't think anything about that with a car that hasn't been registered since a few years before I was born Haha. I will be taking care of those pics tonight when I get home.

So onto the corvette project fun-ness. It looks like a long as my friend doesn't bail on me, which I fully expect him to because it's common, we will be pulling the 68 up to the newly enclosed front garage at my parents on Saturday. I'm planning on taking the removable hard top off once I get it up there and checking the body mounts for rust. I feel that I'm going to have to pull the body to replace the tank and lines. And check out the rest of the frame.

Hopefully this winter I can brave the unheated garage and at least pull out the disgusting seats and carpet out of it in preparation for a new interior.
Very heart warming post about your dad. I just went through 3 funerals in the past 2 months.

I thought I have lots of parts as my wife calls me a hoarder. But your dad sure out did me 5 times over.
My dad was into cars too and he had bought a new Corvette 78 Pace car L82 auto. From there I was introduced to the world of money pits but I wish he was around to go for a ride in my 440hp Sunbeam tiger and my 68 L88., then my under restoration 71 454 and my other 69 L71 vert that needs to be restored.

But sell what you don't need. Keep what parts you need for the cars you are keeping.
If you want to pay tribute to your dad. I would leave the paint alone. Get it clear coated including the vert top, You would have one hell of a eye catcher. You may think I am nuts but if you want to restore the paint it won't be the same.
Restore the frame and engine back to the glory days new wheels and Then you will understand what your dad was up to. Trust me. He was a true car guy.
Grant

Last edited by grantstigers; 10-28-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: Chazde3's '68 Vette Project