Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your C3 and Vandalism...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last summer my car was vandalized TWICE!! First time I come around the corner of a building to where I was parked, away from everyone else, and I walk with a cane and there's this kid about 16 kicking the living s%^t out of my rim going after the spinner. He ran when I yelled but the spinner was toast. A few weeks later at a show and shine someone pried the CORVETTE off the rear deck. Left 3 holes and a nice scratch. I just shake my head at what motivates some people to behave like such Richards.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Sorry to hear about the vandalism but our "leaders" are telling people to hate those whom have more than they do, real or perceived! There is less and less respect for others and it's only going to get worse
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I was working a club event at the Armory in Binghamton NY and my C2 was parked at the curb right at the front door. When I came out after the show, there was a zig-zag "key" scratch on the noze all the way through the paint and deep into the fiberglass. I ended up painting the whole car.

I parked my C3 three rows from the guard shack at work (115 Belmont Dr. Somerset NJ) at 10:00am and when I came out at noon to go to lunch it was gone. Never saw it again.

Lesson learned.

I just don't let them out of my sight.
No exceptions.
Period.

Just another form of "Domestic Terrorism".
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Sorry to hear about the vandalism but our "leaders" are telling people to hate those whom have more than they do, real or perceived! There is less and less respect for others and it's only going to get worse
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I've had my cars hit a number of times, by creeps, over the years.

Back in 1980, I had someone take a cigarette to the paint and soft top, on my 62. I'd been at an event, put on by my Corvette club event, and a number of us had gone out to eat afterwards. When we came out to leave, I found a number of cigarette burns in the paint on the nose, and in the convertible top, of the 62. A lit cigarette was also left on the left front fender, to burn out. There were about 6 other Corvettes from the club, scattered around the restaurants parking lot, but mine was the only one hit.

We had a pretty good idea of who had done it. There had been a couple in the club, who I had been friends with. They ended up getting divorced, and the ex-wife started calling me, inviting me out, and wanting to get together. We knew ex-wife hung out at that restaurants bar, and I had just gotten engaged a couple weeks earlier. We all pretty much figured it was my buddy's ex, and that she was mad that I wasn't interested in her, and getting married. The cigarette left behind, was a Virginia Slim, which was her brand. I didn't think she was as much interested in me, as she was interested in making the ex-husband jealous. Maybe I was wrong!

A few years later, we had someone vandalize my wife's 81. My wife came home from work one night, and I noticed that the left rocker panel was dented, and the fiberglass above it was cracked. It was hit square in the side of the rocker, not from underneath, like it would have been from running over something. From the location of the dent, it was obvious that someone had kicked the rocker. The fiberglass behind the rocker was cracked, and the crack ran up into the side fender louver.

I also had the center caps stolen off a 74 I once had.

Insurance always covered it, but I would have been much happier to have someone just spit on the cars.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Back in the 80's I broke a U joint in my 78 and was sitting in the car waiting for a flat bed, windows were blacked out and the punks with the broken beer bottle had no idea I was in it as they casually strolled up to take a nice swipe at the side.
Needless to say , they never got the chance and I'm sure they still remember that day clearer than I do.
Nothing worse than people who don't have what you have so the first thing that comes to mind is to deface it.
Sick.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Whenever my father and I go out for a drive and hit up the local watering hole, I get to hear most of the fun tales to be told involving some of his past vettes. One said story involved him parking his 73 BB in a mostly empty parking lot of a strip mall. He describes walking out of the store and witnessing the unthinkable, some a-hole that decided to park right next to his vette. Not only does this guy park next to it, but he backs up and gets closer to the car several times...to the point that my father wouldn't have enough room to physically open the door to get in.
My father walked up just in time as the guy is about to get out and angrily says "HEY! Why don't you see if you can get any closer!" The stranger then responds from inside the car, "I can park anywhere I want, it's a free country."
As a just response, my father counters by walking over to his door, looking the guy in the eye and saying, "well how's this for a free country?!!", and proceeds to kick the hell out of his car with him still in it.
Multiple dents later, he ends up restarting his car and driving off without a fight. In fact, he never even tried to stop the retaliation as it unfolded.

Guess you could get away with that sort of thing before cell phones came along. To this day my father claims that a car like the corvette is a magnet for people that resent anyone that owns one. Class is hard to come by and can't actually be bought, but try telling that to the one who resents what you own and he can't have...
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

December of 2009 I met up with my best friend who was in town on business. Drove the vette since at my wedding it wasn't running and I promised him a ride so it seemed like the right time. We went to a local sports bar for some football and the first Miami Heat game with Lebron playing the Cavs. Went into the garage the next morning and noticed a yellow line down the side of the car then realized it had been keyed. Cost me close to $5500 doing the tear down, sanding, masking and reassembly myself and paying a body guy to do the major shaping and spraying the car.

I was careful then and I'm still careful now but there is only so much you can do and still enjoy having the car, that is what it's all about in the end so there is always some risk.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

my 68 was keyed when I bought it, the previous owner said his now ex did it. think he did a no no?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Tom454

I just don't let them out of my sight.
No exceptions.
Period.

I have eyes on my car at all times, I don't leave it unattended.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 AM
desue
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This sucks and its all because someone is jealous and immature. They envy what you have. One of the most common comments I;ve have about me buying my 79 were, "wow, where'd you get all that money??" I want to ask them, where did you get all that money to buy enormous big screen tvs and entertainment systems and all the other junk you don't need? I'm not rich by any means, I just pick and choose my toys.
What about installing a security camera for cars? Anyone have experience with those?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desue
This sucks and its all because someone is jealous and immature. They envy what you have. One of the most common comments I;ve have about me buying my 79 were, "wow, where'd you get all that money??" I want to ask them, where did you get all that money to buy enormous big screen tvs and entertainment systems and all the other junk you don't need? I'm not rich by any means, I just pick and choose my toys.
What about installing a security camera for cars? Anyone have experience with those?
I remember this from a couple of years ago, check the video link at the bottom

Sep. 20--A 72-year-old Southlake man turned himself in to authorities Friday on charges he vandalized a high school student's Hummer, an act caught on the sport utility vehicle's motion-activated surveillance cameras this month, police said.

Police say James Andrew Jeppe indicated he acted out of "frustration over financial stressors" when he was recorded scratching "X's" into the 2008 Hummer H2's red paint.

Tips about the vandal's identity came pouring in to authorities this week, after police released photos and video of a gray-haired man committing the crime Sept. 5 in the Carroll Senior High School parking lot.

Mr. Jeppe faces a state jail felony criminal mischief charge, punishable by up to two years in state jail and up to a $10,000 fine.

He was released Friday afternoon from Tarrant County Jail on $1,000 bail.

Mr. Jeppe could not be reached for comment late Friday, but some who serve with him on a Southlake City Council neighborhood advisory board said they were surprised by the arrest.

"Nothing stands out in my mind that I would have thought would have been a clue," said Mike Terry, vice chairman of the Southlake Program for the Involvement of Neighborhoods.

The organization's members are volunteers appointed by the City Council to facilitate "communication between residents and the city staff," according to the city Web site.

Mr. Terry, who said he has served with Mr. Jeppe for several years, described him as "soft-spoken, polite, not particularly vocal on any issue."

"People that are on SPIN are going to be caring about development issues to make sure they do fit into the city," Mr. Terry said.

Police said they continue to investigate whether Mr. Jeppe might also be responsible for similar vandalism of Hummers in the Southlake area and throughout the metropolitan area.

In addition to the tips that led investigators to Mr. Jeppe, police received dozens of calls this week from other Hummer owners who said they also had been victims of similar vandalism.

In many cases they had not previously reported it.

Those reports came in addition to 12 police reports of Hummer vandalism throughout Southlake.

"This isn't an isolated incident," Detective Keith Fulgium said earlier this week. "This has happened to numerous Hummers in the Southlake area, usually at Carroll football games going back to last year."

Officials at Classic Hummer in Grapevine said they have repaired many Hummers with similar damage in recent years.

The video that played on televisions and computers screens throughout the region shows the vandal walk through the parking lot to one side of the Hummer and then the other.

He quickly but forcefully makes his mark in three spots before walking back to his car.

Police have said the vandalism caused about $2,200 in damage.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/953215/
Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by desue
They envy what you have. One of the most common comments I;ve have about me buying my 79 were, "wow, where'd you get all that money??" I want to ask them, where did you get all that money to buy enormous big screen tvs and entertainment systems and all the other junk you don't need?
obumma money

Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my spare tire taken from the carrier. Yes it was up tight in the carrier and yes it was locked. Somebody took a floor jack and put it right behind where the lock was, where the frame comes together and got enough room to slide the lock and bolt over after pumping up the jack. They were real nice about it though as they pushed up the carrier and hooked it back up with the bolt and lock. They zip tied it so it didn't rattle or fall down either. Nice guys. Drove around for 4 months before I noticed it was missing.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Two years ago I had someone smash my driver's side window. I didn't take it personally because they had smashed out the driver's side window on every car parked on that side of the street so I don't think they singled me out because I had a Corvette. Police figure some punk road by on a bicycle with a hammer and hit the windows as he passed each car. A lot of people seemed more upset about it than me. I was just happy they broke the door window instead of the bubble rear glass and no one stole my mirror T-tops.

The year before that I came out to find a crack in the fiberglass/paint just under my driver's side view mirror. No discernable pattern to it so I couldn't tell if it was an accident or vandalism. The only scenario I could conjure up was that a kid road by it on a bicycle, lost his balance and him and his bike fell against the side of the car.

Last edited by Priya; 04-23-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Tim H
I got cussed twice last week and chased down the street and all I did was drive down the street in the vette!
People hate vettes and some people are so poor they think a rubber bumper vette is a sign of money!
Time to drive faster!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

In 1993 I was a senior in HS. During the second half of the school year I had bought a stock 1972 Chevelle, 2dr, red, 350, rally wheels, black vinyl top... plain but pretty car.

It did not survive its first day in the parking lot...some a$$wipe keyed the car from fender to fender across the hood, not once, but twice, with something substantial like a screwdriver.

Get notified of new replies

To Your C3 and Vandalism...

Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Block Dave
In 1993 I was a senior in HS. During the second half of the school year I had bought a stock 1972 Chevelle, 2dr, red, 350, rally wheels, black vinyl top... plain but pretty car.

It did not survive its first day in the parking lot...some a$$wipe keyed the car from fender to fender across the hood, not once, but twice, with something substantial like a screwdriver.
That does suck big time!

Times have changed... When I was in high school in the mid 70's I drove a motorcycle to school and having grown up on dairy farms we left our keys in our vehicles all the time, well my key got stuck in my motorcycle, I never had an issue with it being parked at school, it was there every lunch and afternoon when I went to go home. People have no respect for others property anymore...
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Man, stories like these make my skin crawl. Spitting on or scratching someone's car is the lowest of the low. The scumbag is probably a motorcycle thief, too.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hearing all of this is making me wonder if its worth it to get a good paint job. I'm going to be living in Orlando, FL with my vette as my DD.....I'm scared. I'm sure big cities are pretty bad about that. I come from small town East Texas, so it was never really an issue and if it was, you knew exactly who did it.

After Orlando, I'll be living in a military town, so I don't think I'll have to worry about it quite as much.

Quick Reply: Your C3 and Vandalism...