Sponsored by:

Door Panel Dye / Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Door Panel Dye / Paint?

Ok so I am doing the interior and my door panels look pretty good, but as I have resprayed everything pretty much such as console sections, inside quarter panel trim etc, should I freshen up my door panels with a vinyl paint / dye or is this a bad idea?

I have one little nick in the panel right around there the inside grab handle attaches, not sure if I should fix that with some epoxy or vinyl repair then hide it with a respray of the panel, I would say the door panels are a 7.5 or an 8 on a scale of 1 - 10, not all broken up or anything, I will be regluing some slight peeling on the bottom.

I appreciate the input, just not sure if the paint / dye or whatever you want to call it will look right, will peel or fade etc.

Pictures of door panels that have been refinished along with paint brands would be a big help!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Using regular spray paint is a BAD IDEA. Using a good quality vinyl dye is a GOOD IDEA....assuming that you properly prep the panels with a thorough detergent cleaning/rinsing/drying before you spray.

I get SEM ColorCoat [liquid] from a pro auto body paint supply store. They can mix it to GM interior color code or to match a panel that you bring in. When sprayed on, it looks just like NEW GM interior appearance. SEM also makes some rattle cans of various colors and those work fine; but the sheen on the surface is a bit more flat than the liquid SEM and/or new car interiors.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

I did mean, the correct spray can type vinyl dye/paint for random spray paint

thanks, I may do this, need to get my panels in sun, see how good, bad they are...maybe will have some dye mixed up as you suggest...does it simply rub on with a cloth?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Hey Boston,

The ONLY interior pieces I didn't re-dye were the doors. MIne weren't bad, but I was afraid that even with the really good interior dye I'd see some rubbing off and be redoing them every year, like I have to do with my seats until I get new ones.

If they're not bad, I'd just clean them up and let them go.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

I think I am going to leave my door panels as is, they are pretty nice..thanks for the input!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Vinyl dye should be spayed on, for best results. But, you can do that with rattle cans; or you can do that using a liquid dye that is sprayed using your own equipment or with a simple (and inexpensive) gas/bottle sprayer that can be purchased at the same auto body paint supply place where you purchase the vinyl dye.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

I do think I am going to leave my door panels, but if I do dye them, likely will get the SEM...thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To Door Panel Dye / Paint?

Quick Reply: Door Panel Dye / Paint?