Rekeying Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:35 PM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Rekeying Question

I had to replace the alarm switch & rear compartment lock on my 73 & was wondering if it is possible to have them rekeyed to match the door lock key. If so is this something any lock smith should be able to do?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Not sure about the compartment switch but the alarm switch can be re-keyed by a competent automotive locksmith or a old dealer parts guy if you have one around.

IF the keys have the same profile (letter stamped on the key) it's easy since they just have to change the pins.
If the keys have different profiles they have to have parts to change the barrel over to the other profile.

Compartment lock should be the same but I've never looked at it to know for sure
HIH
Mooser
Old 05-19-2013, 02:35 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this done on quite a few of my past cars. The right locksmith will do this relatively inexpensively too.

I've done it myself as well. There is a flat plate that can be pried up that will reveal the springs and tumblers. You can remove them one at a time from the original lock and place them into the new lock in the same order. Use tweezers and a magnifying glass and it's not too hard.

As previous poster said, the profile of the key required for the new lock must match the old lock or the key simply won't fit in the slot regardless of the tumbler pattern. There is a letter code on the key blank that specifies what pattern the key is.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:15 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine were all re-keyed: Alarm, doors, rear compartment the same; ignition was keyed different so 'one doesn't fit all' (allows the thieves to work a little).
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, I spoke with a local locksmith & he says he will do the rekeying for $25 not bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Rekeying Question

Quick Reply: Rekeying Question