Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 06:07 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default 69 vette

Tony , you got my support and prayers for sure!

R
Old 01-06-2018, 06:18 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,199 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by rvzio
Tony , you got my support and prayers for sure!

R
Don't I owe you a box of hot

?

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-06-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,341 Likes on 3,942 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Hey DG, the good news is your painting schedule got moved up!!! Whats the plans for the nose now????What are you going to do when the vette is completed. I think you should look at an old Sherman tank and restore that. It has to be easier than what you've had to endure during the 68 ressurection.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 323 Posts

Tony, good luck with your surgery next Tuesday. You have my prayers, good friend and fellow Vietnam Veteran. Hey, make sure the doc uses grade 8 bolts!!! Lou.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,945 Posts

You know how these young kids are these days. Maybe you should pin a note on your shirt that says "no texting while doing surgery" and ask him to count his tools before he starts and when he's finished just in case he gets distracted by a young nurse and leaves one where it shouldn't be.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:10 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Scalpel. Forcips. Hemostats. Oops...
Old 01-06-2018, 02:14 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 426 Likes on 209 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I have a theory: If they can't kill you because of incompetence, maybe they can postpone adequate healthcare long enough that you will die from old age. The good news is, my V.A. Doctor did his best to help (me).

Annnnnnnnd.........congrats on Corvette of the (New) Year!
Thanks Tony, I believe your theory is Correct.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:27 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Hey DG, the good news is your painting schedule got moved up!!! Whats the plans for the nose now????What are you going to do when the vette is completed. I think you should look at an old Sherman tank and restore that. It has to be easier than what you've had to endure during the 68 ressurection.
Yep on the paint schedule. I think I going to take RVZIO up on his headlight panel graft and combine it with the parts Derek made for me. NO on the Tank.....I'm going on 5-6 or 56 road trips.

Originally Posted by loup68
Tony, good luck with your surgery next Tuesday. You have my prayers, good friend and fellow Vietnam Veteran. Hey, make sure the doc uses grade 8 bolts!!! Lou.
Grade 8/Will do!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
You know how these young kids are these days. Maybe you should pin a note on your shirt that says "no texting while doing surgery" and ask him to count his tools before he starts and when he's finished just in case he gets distracted by a young nurse and leaves one where it shouldn't be.
Excellent point(s)

Originally Posted by derekderek
Scalpel. Forcips. Hemostats. Oops...

[IMG]https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/489x539/80-hyenna_that_s_hilarious_a5f04cd9e938b973 fdb64d7f88ed454fa6cbaac1.jpg[/IMG

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Thanks Tony, I believe your theory is Correct.

Great Minds think alike............. back atcha'.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles doorgunner, best of luck with the surgery.
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (01-08-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:46 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

YEARLY UPDATE

(Cilff's Notes for those in a hurry).....

November 20,2017.....I destroyed the #4 & #5 discs in my lower back.

November 30?, 2017..........V.A. Doctor gave me Ibuprofen to "stop pain". Doctor applies for further evaluation: Nerve damage tests.

December 3?, 2017............went to Emergency Room/relentless pain-no sleep. Injections given/assigned to hospital room/given Oxycodone with side order of Morphine. After 3 days pain is manageable, but still bedridden. Sent home.

December 8?,2017.........V.A. CANCELS tests to determine area/extent of nerve damage .

December 12?..............Doctor reapplies for Nerve damage test to no avail

December18?, 2017.............V.A. Doctor prescribes Oxycodone tablets...Pain is downgraded from "Relentless to Miserable". Doctor tells me to "Double up on remaining medication.

December 29?, 2017.......Medication is "used up" on schedule per "Double Dose" prescribed by Doctor. V.A. Pharmacy refuses to give me more Oxycodone because I used up the meds which should have lasted "30 days". I explained that the Doctor AT THE OTHER END OF THE HALLWAY ordered me to double the daily dosage/Pharmacy basically said TOO BAD.

January 5, 3 a,m., 2018.......entered Emergency Room ( for the 2nd time) in excruciating pain. On-Duty E.R. Doctor pulls records from previous visit/orders TWO injections and ONE oral tablet for pain/gives me a prescription for pain medication until I can see Surgeon on January 5, 2018. Releases me.

Cont. January 5, 5 p.m., 2018.......ALL local pharmacies refuse to fill E.R. prescription for pain meds. since there is a V.A. HOLD on me receiving any pain meds......which means at 3 A.M. TOMORROW MORNING I WILL BE AT THE E.R. IN EXCRUTIATING PAIN. AGAIN.

Cont. January 5, 2018 6.p.m. I arrive home and there is a box of pain meds at my front door from the V.A.! APPARENTLY, SOMEONE AT THE V.A. ACCIDENTALLY REMOVED THE "HOLD" FROM MY RECORDS (God moves in mysterious ways)

Spinal surgery is now scheduled for next Tuesday thru supplemental insurance, since it would take the V.A. another 6 weeks of arbitration to decide I needed surgery through .Gov .

Moral of the story: I had to beg .Gov for ammunition in '72-'73 in Viet Nam.......now I have to beg .Gov for medication in '17-'18.

The good news is....I think I will let the Painter do the remaining Body Work to the rear half of the car, and also let him paint while I am recuperating from back surgery.

I will be gladly accepting prayers and happy thoughts from my friends at the C3 Forum!

ooops...time for meds
All I can say is 'wow'. I can't even imagine what you are going through but what little I do know about you is that you are a trooper and this will not break you.

Head down, get through the pain (I know how miserable that can be first hand). Oxycodone>Vicodin>Dilautid(Morphene) is what it took for me.

I am wishing you well and pulling for your fast and complete recovery. Sincere best wishes.
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Priya
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles doorgunner, best of luck with the surgery.
Thanks Priya....it should be fun. Now we are both waiting on Spring.

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
All I can say is 'wow'. I can't even imagine what you are going through but what little I do know about you is that you are a trooper and this will not break you.

Head down, get through the pain (I know how miserable that can be first hand). Oxycodone>Vicodin>Dilautid(Morphene) is what it took for me.

I am wishing you well and pulling for your fast and complete recovery. Sincere best wishes.
Thanks P.S. Your hands ACHE! My back-ACHE!

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-08-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:43 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Hey DG , just wanted to wish you well in your upcoming surgery!
Our prayers will be with you and all involved!
Hoping they'll be able to get you back up on your feet and back in the garage quickly !

Looking forward to spring and seeing you tearing up the tires !

Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 PM
derekderek
Race Director

hey Tony. relax. watch Georgia make Saban and company look bad. it'll all go fine tomorrow. give us a shout when you wake up. preferably while still thoroughly stoned and foggy from anesthetic. then we can all laugh together about it later. Have a good night, and better day tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:49 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
Hey DG , just wanted to wish you well in your upcoming surgery!
Our prayers will be with you and all involved!
Hoping they'll be able to get you back up on your feet and back in the garage quickly !

Looking forward to spring and seeing you tearing up the tires !

Derek...you've sent many prayers/good humor my way the last couple rough years.......'PPRECIATE IT!

Originally Posted by derekderek
hey Tony. relax. watch Georgia make Saban and company look bad. it'll all go fine tomorrow. give us a shout when you wake up. preferably while still thoroughly stoned and foggy from anesthetic. then we can all laugh together about it later. Have a good night, and better day tomorrow.
Thanks SPCL....I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT Thanks Members ....... I forgot to post it last night.....to the WRONG Members/Replies

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-10-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:11 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS/"BAD NEWS"

Good News........I appreciate all the hard work and great treatment certain Employees at my V.A. Clinic did for/showed to me!

Bad News....... In My Humble Opinion. Because of the Family Nature of the General Forum (which I greatly appreciate) I cannot fully express my ******* disgust at the way my medical condition was handle by V.A. Administrators using V.A. Guidelines/Government Guidelines. "Good Employees can have no good Effect/Affect when the Rule Book Sucks"

Good News....... The surgeon made Lemonade from Lemons. The "Back-Up Hospital Hospital" personnel were caring and kind while performing their duties. My improvement could be from 100% down to 10%, a fact I have no problem with, considering the repairs needed to my spine.

The Bad News..........Personnel at the "Back-Up Hospital" were perplexed as to why I had to suffer for so many weeks some Veterans suffer for years)(. IN Defense of the "Top Dogs" at the V.A. "They were going by the Book" even when I ran out of Pain Medication and was told I had to wait until the "Refill HOLD-Period" had expired. Even when I was not allowed to have surgery because all the "Criteria" had not been met

SIDEBAR: IT MUST HAVE BEEN SIMILAR TOP DOGS WHO WOULD NOT RESUPPLY ME WITH AMMUNITION IN VIET NAM because the "Criteria had not been met.....TALK ABOUT FEELIN' AS THOUGH I HAD GOT ****** TWICE SINCE 1972.

The Good News.....Tomorrow morning and the rest of the week I will have a better idea of how my spine will react to the surgery WHICH TOO 3 HOURS, RATHER THAN THE NORMAL 1.5 HOURS TO COMPLETE......BUT THAT'S O.K. WITH ME.

MORE GOOD NEWS........I THINK I WILL SNEAK OUTSIDE BEFORE PRECIOUS WAKES UP FOR HER MORNING COFFEE SO I CAN SURVEY THE FIBERGLASSED AREAS THAT NEED FILLING IN "YA' CAN'T HURT YOURSELF ON A CREEPER"!

Moral of the Story: "Sometimes, God's answer is YES.....Sometimes His answer is NO........Sometimes, His answer Is LATER, my child."

(Feel free to explain what the "*******" symbols represent to your Adult Children)

That is all....for now.

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-10-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:08 AM
derekderek
Race Director

You run out of pain pills, that's what lacquer thinner fumes are fot!!!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

MORE GOOD NEWS........I THINK I WILL SNEAK OUTSIDE BEFORE PRECIOUS WAKES UP FOR HER MORNING COFFEE SO I CAN SURVEY THE FIBERGLASSED AREAS THAT NEED FILLING IN "YA' CAN'T HURT YOURSELF ON A CREEPER"!
DG,

Welcome back and prayers for a complete recovery. I hope you were kidding about getting on a creeper so soon after surgery! Hang in there with doctor's orders until you get a green light.

Regards,
Tom69

Get notified of new replies

To Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Old 01-10-2018, 07:49 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Keep your spirits high DG, good luck with your survey.

Jack
Old 01-10-2018, 08:24 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Can't say I wasn't on pins and needles waiting to hear from you again !

Good to hear you came thru with no complications!

As far as the VA goes you know as well as I without their " stupid " rule book they would be free to do stupid all the time !

Oh wait , that is what they're doing !

Hoping that your healing is quick and complete!

Hopefully I'll be able to get back on mine soon as well, I've been out sick from work the past week and just went back yesterday! Had some kinda stomach virus! Wasn't pretty !

Keep us updated on your progress bro !
Old 01-10-2018, 09:21 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Glad you came out of the surgery relatively ok. I have yet to have one go on time either, most of mine are 1.5-3x as long as predicted so you have some company.

I feel terrible for you and all of our vets who have to suffer through our terrible system. Taking better care of those who chose to serve their country is something that I feel strongly about. Hopefully things will go very well for you and you can get back to having fun in the shop soon!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Quick Reply: Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project