Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I installed a new window regulator spring without removing the regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 AM
pleasants9
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How I installed a new window regulator spring without removing the regulator

Since I tried to search for this option and it seems now one had done it (with good reason), I wanted to explain how i did it. After recently having my car repainted the windows were taken out and all the tracks were greased and inspected, I had finally gotten my windows dialed in with the new weatherstripping so after my passenger side regulator spring blew apart I was adamant about replacing the spring without having to take the window all apart again. After some trial and error I was successful.

first I obviously took the door apart, removing the trim and everything, then i took off the panel that covers the electric motor. I unplugged the motor and with these pieces removed i was able to get my hand inside the door and could feel where the spring needed to go. I originally installed the spring with not enough load, as i only had to pull the bent part of the spring back maybe half an inch to hook it onto the regulator arm. After seeing how the window still flew down i new this wasnt the proper spring load. So I then twisted it 180 degrees and installed it on the center pin that the spring sits on. After trying a few different tools i found the best luck with a chainsaw tool. (the one that has two socket sizes on either end and a phillips screwdriver perpendicular to that) I was able to set the bent end of the spring inside the smaller socket size of the tool and using the screwdriver end bend the spring around itself and pull it towards its mount. about 90 degrees through the turn i had to slide my hand up and grab the other socket end to maintain leverage and pull the spring end around its mounting pin and set it in there. I will admit it took me three tries and i couldn't feel my right hand for a few minutes afterwards but i did it, it is seated properly and the window works great. Would I recommend this to anyone, not really but I just wanted to share my experience and let you know its possible.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Where there's a 'will', there's a way....

Human creativity at its best!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:59 PM
MSGT-R
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

How much skin is left on the backs of your hands?

Get notified of new replies

To How I installed a new window regulator spring without removing the regulator

Quick Reply: How I installed a new window regulator spring without removing the regulator