Sponsored by:

Redesigned ashtray mod-final version

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Redesigned ashtray mod-final version

Not long ago,I completed an ashtray mod giving me the ability to remote control my Passport 9500 radar detector and give me USB/MP3 support for the updated stereo. In my last ride, I had the USB/MP3 support and used the dickens out of it. Trouble was I always had a dangling cord. I didn't want that with this build I plan on keeping. In sticking with the game plan of keeping the stock look with upgraded features, I set out make this mod the same way-seemless. (see my tach mod and subwoofer mod) If the features were visual, I want them to look as if GM designed it and implemented it...to the best of my ability using ordinary household tools anyway. Then, after completing this mod...
[IMG][/IMG]

I ran into something interesting and the wheels started moving. I seen a ashtray mod (our own GraigH) that utilized the same space as mine (though for a different purpose), however, this mod looked beyond custom. It looked factory. I mean down to the typeset utilized in the indicator light descriptions and switch designations. And back lit the same way GM would have back-lit it back in 1974, had they offered such a mod. After looking at this mod, then back to mine I suddenly became depressed at my work, and vowed an improvement. Many thanks must go to CraigH and his team halfway around the globe for taking the time to work with me. The faceplate is indeed well beyond my expectations! Here is what started it all.

[IMG][/IMG]

...Which eventually turned into this after Craig performed his "magic".

[IMG][/IMG]

Now that pretty cool! Gotta love technology! This is something I never could have created using my primitive hand tools. Now, to integrate it into the ashtray! I purchased a cheap reproduction ashtray, as the condition of my original looked dismal, and the outer chrome ring of the ashtray lip will need to be utilized for aesthetics of this mod.

[IMG][/IMG]

I first made a template for drilling jig , then used a piece of 3/16" clear plexiglass as the indicator faceplate is only a few millimeters thick. This needs to be reinforced for continual use, and this reinforcement needed to be clear to allow the light source to be located in the ashtray to show through the etched stenciled letters and to be viewable at night.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't want light escaping around the edge, so I cut some electrical tape in 1/8" strips and lined the outer edges of the clear plexiglass

[IMG][/IMG]

The warning indicator light and set/cancel switch that came with the 9500xi remote kit from Ebay would have functioned fine, but it would have left both the set/cancel button and the LED looking more like an add on than a factory option, had it been offered in 1974. This required me to get a new switch and LED that had more of a "factory" look. I needed them to be durable as well. What I came up with was a miniature motorcycle all metal, weatherproof horn button/starter switch in chrome-PERFECT! Gotta love Ebay. A quick internet search led me to a really nice, all metal chrome plated 5 mm LED bezel, which just happened to be shaped just like the chrome tach and speedo needle drums!. Shipping cost more than the dime or so this item cost. Radio Shack had the red 5mm, 3 volt LED required by the Passport. Now, I just needed to replace the 3 mm plastic LED as well as the momentary black plastic push button over to my "worthy of a Vette" hardware and integrate the assembly into the ashtray.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, she's beginning to look worthy of the Corvette name!

[IMG][/IMG]

Now, with the radar detector duties taken care of, it was time to move onto the USB/MP3 dongle. Since I didn't want a cord to hold the memory stick, I found a clever USB extension cord that was designed to installed into a plate or dash as the case may be. I had to trim the top with a razor blade to keep from covering the indicator numbers at the top.

[IMG][/IMG]

From here it was just a matter of assembling the components.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

That takes care of the ashtray. Almost done, but not quite. Right above the ashtray is that old fashioned cigarette lighter that one cant do a lot about. I'll never use the lighter, but I might use this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finished and ready to go back into the shifter console!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Note the odd 4 speed automatic shifter.... Hmmm.

Last edited by Patro46; 01-29-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 01-28-2014, 12:56 AM
DJ Freddie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet...Thanks for sharing
DJ Freddie
Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Very nice job and a great write up! Thanks for sharing how to make that spot useful. Turned out great.

Adam
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 AM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome
Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Now what do you do with the cigarette butts?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Where did you get the USB port for the lighter hole?

I want to still use the ashtray (to hold the wheel lock nut, not ashes) but will never use the lighter itself.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Patro46
Pro

Originally Posted by 74Ken
Where did you get the USB port for the lighter hole?

I want to still use the ashtray (to hold the wheel lock nut, not ashes) but will never use the lighter itself.
That is the coolest looking one I could find that fit basically flush. It's made by Monster Cable. I think I got it at Office Depot. When plugged in, there is a little red LED "M". It also fits snug enough the USB cable wont pull it out.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

are you talking about this unit?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...g-USB-600-Car/

If so, that was not what I was thinking it was. This will draw power constantly. I thought it was a USB connector that replaces the lighter socket itself.

I was thinking more like this when I saw yours..

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...559425113.html

Remove the lighter socket completely and install this instead, but that would mean I would lose the ability of plugging in anything else if needed.

Ken

Last edited by 74Ken; 01-28-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Very cool, thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Ratfinkharley
Instructor

I was thinking more like this when I saw yours.. http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...559425113.html Remove the lighter socket completely and install this instead, but that would mean I would lose the ability of plugging in anything else if needed. Ken
The clarion piece is designed to plug into a USB port on the back of a head unit so you can flush mount the other end on the dash.

There are units that are designed to replace the cig and tap into the 12V.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Very slick mod! That looks great!

Originally Posted by Patro46

...Which eventually turned into this

Any more info on producing the indicator faceplate? Was that something you did, or had professionally made?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:32 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

That looks really good and functional also.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Chadillac2000
Instructor

Great stuff! I'd love to do something like this with mine soon.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadillac2000
Great stuff! I'd love to do something like this with mine soon.
Great mod, and a terrific writeup!

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Patro46
Pro

Originally Posted by 74Ken
are you talking about this unit?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...g-USB-600-Car/

If so, that was not what I was thinking it was. This will draw power constantly. I thought it was a USB connector that replaces the lighter socket itself.

I was thinking more like this when I saw yours..

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...559425113.html

Remove the lighter socket completely and install this instead, but that would mean I would lose the ability of plugging in anything else if needed.

Ken
That's it!. As far as drawing power, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it. Unless something is plugged in, all you have is a tiny LED drawing little to nothing. Now, plug a energy drawing source into it and forget about it?...then you might have an issue.

As far as your corded usb example. That's pretty much what I'm running in the ashtray mod. It leads to the stereo head unit for MP3's from a memory stick. I understand it will also charge a USB appliance from the radio itself.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Great job and write up!
That's the best use of that area in the console I have ever seen.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I love this mod. Definitely gonna keep it in mind after my project gets rolling.

Get notified of new replies

To Redesigned ashtray mod-final version

Old 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work! I did something very similar to mine back in the spring, and I also have that odd 4 speed automatic shifter indicator!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could sell that for $50 all day long.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jcloving
You could sell that for $50 all day long.

I would seriously buy that from you TODAY!

I don't smoke, and I sure wouldn't smoke or let anyone smoke in my 72. I would much rather have a usb or 2 usb connections and a radar detector.

Quick Reply: Redesigned ashtray mod-final version