Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reproduction VIN tags for A post?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Crahm
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Reproduction VIN tags for A post?

My friend recently purchased a 68 427/400 off Ebay and it has a reassigned VIN from the state of NC or somewhere.

Do any of the parts places manufacture VIN tags for the windshield A post? I have stamp letters/numbers which are probably close enough to work.

Obviously a tag can be made which might be the easier thing to do, but if it is already made, might as well order it.

We are guessing thi car was once stolen and the thief removed the tag?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C,
I don't think anyone is reproducing the tags because of the serious implications from their mis-use.
Regards,
Alan

It's quite an unusual embossing… you can do that? Also if you look at the vin tag and trim tag it's quite an unusual material too!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Your friend needs to check with the DMV to determine what, if anything, he can do and how to proceed. To my knowledge, a reproduction VIN tag is illegal just about everywhere.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM
kenpofan
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Respectfully.. I doubt NC would issue a replacement VIN tag or # , except for a stolen or heavily damaged vehicle ,
unless that if it has been reported, as fact, please contact

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/licensetheft/

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/LT_220.pdf

Last edited by kenpofan; 03-05-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmm....Canned Worms!

So.....who would be at fault....

the Seller....

the Buyer....

the N.C.D.M.V./for being the accomplice/storefront racketeer who collects all the "legitimate fees" every time the poor car was re-stoled......errrr......resold?

(Just kidding ya'll....I hope things work out well for the Buyer)
Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM
wyocat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If your friend has an assigned VIN by NC is there a reason he wants to make a VIN tag. That NC VIN should not look like the original OEM VIN. I'm afraid that it will open a can of worms.

To answer the question, yes questionable people make VIN's. A Google search will get you someplace I'm sure, he would also need the appropriate VIN rivets. AND this will raise red flags EVERYWHERE he goes.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

the vin rivets are hidden from view by the inside trim piece anyway.. so it won't raise flags everywhere he goes.
not sure what the op is asking, do you want to punch the vin numbers from the NC vin number onto a new vin tag and -place on the windshield? or are you wanting to put the full factory issued vin number on the vin tag and have it be different than the vin that is currently assigned to the car?

it may have been stolen, salvaged, totaled, or even the original vin tag rusted out, or a number of other scenarios where the state dmv would issue a new vin #.

I presume that the state vin tag that was issued is legally the correct vin tag.. anything you do won't change that.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by doorgunner
...So...who would be at fault...the Seller...the Buyer...
It isn't a matter of fault.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The number on the title is the only number recognized, be it State issued for various reasons or the original from the manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO).
Early vehicles that have the engine number and not the VIN on the title have difficulty when the title changes hands, especially when this transaction occurs across political divisions, IE state lines and requires an inspection.

Any other number becomes just a "show item" and can not be used for legal transactions.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

My neighbors 65 Mustang had a front end collision where the front clip was spliced in. The vin is stamped into the sheet metal in several areas on this part of the car. Being his replacement parts did not match the title, he pulled back a fender, exposing another stamped area on the inner fender. This vin matches the title. He brought the car from CA to NV. Where the the NV DMV ran a check, verified the hidden vin matched the title, and stamped out a vin tag and attached it over the area where the original vin stamp had been. The tag is big and ugly and says NV DMV along with the vin. But at least it's legal.

When I worked in the auto industry right out of high school, the special rosette rivets used to attach vin tags were controlled, but some were "acquired" and smuggled out of the plant. Chop shops paid good money for those rivets.

Last edited by Sunstroked; 02-28-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Your friend needs to check with the DMV to determine what, if anything, he can do and how to proceed. To my knowledge, a reproduction VIN tag is illegal just about everywhere.

It certainly is, like a lot of things that people do regardless.Now where can someone get one and the rivets?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
MAP73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 70 428 Mach 1 in KY that had been stolen and recovered. It had a KYxxxx, VIN tag and matching title. The number had been assigned by the state when the car was recovered. I think making a VIN tag other than the original or a state issued one would be bad Ju Ju.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Because the new VIN number won't match the state issued VIN on the title, a simple roadside check could result in the car being impounded on the spot, fines, being arrested, etc, etc.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Do your friend a favor and tell him to leave well enough alone. If the car has a clean clear title, the reissued VIN is not the end of the world.

You are probably correct about it being stolen in the past.
Remove the sill plate on the drivers side and peel back the carpet, is there any hole in that area? Feel the top of the chassis above the drivers side rear tire, does it feel like a small section of steel may have been removed? These are 2 other spots that had the vin numbers stamped. Shine a light up there, you may see a reflective state tag there also.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:21 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

http://www.trimtags.com/
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by M A Fry
From their FAQs

Q. Do you make VIN TAGS?

A. No. We DO NOT reproduce VIN TAGS.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Hmmmmmmmmmm....Canned Worms! So.....who would be at fault....the Seller....the Buyer....the N.C.D.M.V./for being the accomplice/storefront racketeer who collects all the "legitimate fees" every time the poor car was re-stoled......errrr......resold?
(Just kidding ya'll....I hope things work out well for the Buyer)
Originally Posted by Easy Mike
It isn't a matter of fault.
Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Because the new VIN number won't match the state issued VIN on the title, a simple roadside check could result in the car being impounded on the spot, fines, being arrested, etc, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Reproduction VIN tags for A post?

Quick Reply: Reproduction VIN tags for A post?