C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I learned this weekend working on my Vette..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

30 years latter I can now laugh at this......scared the b jesus out of me.

Stopped in to gas up at country store . 66 427 convertible was my ride. With HEADERS

Bubbas wanted to see under hood. Fine ...

Next ....sene right out of Road Runner /Coyote cartoon

We ....are bent over the fender ...as bubba do. Starring at motor....

Then..

The Battery in the fender explodes like a M80 in a mail box. Don't ask how I know these things...LOL

We had pieces of battery in our caps , shirts , hair ....all kinds of nasty crape all over our faces .....

Yes we looked like a Acme Bomb exploded hair blown back faces like coal miners.

Scared me out of 5 years of growth.

Apparently There is a God . Because as bad as this looked , no one had a scratch or any chemical damage or plastic schrapel in their eyes.

Yes , the c2 had the correct heat shield and battery tray . New cables and battery wasn't but maybe 1 year old .

So .....be careful sticking your head under the hood of a C2

Same car with its Holley carb tried to burn my house down......

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 07-16-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:50 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Things I Learned Working on my Vette this weekend #4

A few years ago, I watched a professional mechanic friend of mine pull and replace to 2 u-joints. 15-20 minutes tops. I thought to myself "THAT did not look too hard."

I need replace all 6 on my '73 and start with the driveline. First one came out with just a bit of cussing and a vise and cheater bar using the "socket" trick.

Second one...
- broke the cheapo vise while pushing the caps one way then the other
- used what seemed like a quart of Kroil penetrating oil.
- bought a new BIG vice
- bent the handle on the new big vise just a little.
- tried tapping on the ears with a hammer while caps were under pressure. ..... Still, nothing.
- fired up the torch (i.e. blue wrench) and FINALLY got it out.

What did I learn?
1. Profession mechaincs are underpaid.
2. When you burn away all the grease, the needle bearings fly all over the garage when the caps are pushed out.
3. Each cap has at least 418 needle bearings under it.

Good times. ;-)... but it is progress!

LarMan
Houston, TX
Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

In the same vien of gravity and siphoning. The C3 gas tank sits higher than the fuel pump and the line on the frame that goes to the pump. When you pull that fuel line gas SHOOTS out of the line be ready to plug it, at least with your finger, but have every thing in reach when you have the fuel line pluged with your finger....
Old 08-18-2014, 04:34 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Things I Learned Working on my Vette this weekend #5

When you finally butch up and pull your transmission, you MIGHT have the impression of the head of a bolt on your chest the rest of the afternoon.

Bad Vette Selfie

Last edited by LarMan; 10-20-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: pic
Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Changing the glass in the doors is a PIA especially by yourself!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:57 AM
LarMan
Instructor

Things I Learned Working on my Vette this weekend #6, 7, & 8

#6 When finally freeing up some time to fire the vette up after 3 months of down time, you should REALLY put the drive shaft back in first, even if you are not planning on moving it. I did not put it in gear but did not appreciate how much gear oil was sloshing around the muncie while the engine was idling.

#7 Any time you've done work on the car, you should IMMEDIATELY look under it for leaks, fires, potential fires, .... Perhaps I would have noticedthte gear oil flying everywhere if I had glanced instead of just dealing the the fuel line leak immediately!

#8 There is not a matching interior screw on my car other than the one's I've put in it.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 AM
ted13b
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned that a 53 year old man can cortort his body to reach the horn relay under the dash, but will find himself partially paralyzed the next day. Thank god for Advil!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:43 AM
C3s4me
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lar, I am pretty new to site... But is my favorite tread so for....But for some reason it has enable my forgetful memory of all my past blunders...Hopefully, we live, laugh and learn through them....
Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Fortunately, so far the worst I can recall on the Vette is putting my 79's drivers seat in folded down under the steering wheel. DOH! On another car, I was doing a routine tune up, but after finishing, the car wouldn't start. It would crank and crank without even making any indication that it would start. I noticed the old rotor button on the radiator support, and finally after an hour or so if choice words, realized the replacement rotor that I was sure I had installed was in fact still in the box, sitting right next to the old one.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 PM
kcb37
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will agree with the heater hoses and gas line at the pump.
What I do, vise grips to pinch the lines.
If your bypassing or replacing lines, put the new on the end you pulled first, be ready to put it on, pull the other end and throw on the new.

Not a corvette but a good story.
To many people changing one engine. When it was all back together and driven around the block. Had diesel running out of the air filter.
Gear hubs, diff's, transfer case, transmission all vented to the air filter housing.
That line got switched with the fuel pump return line.?
I got to drain everything 2 or 3 times.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Default Observation #9

Things I learned this weekend - #9

My '73, while not perfect, is in pretty good shape as far a rust.

I needed to pull the half-shafts to change u-joints. While there, I decided to pull the rear end and mix some leaks. I was expecting problems with the shock mounts based on some of the horror stories I've read. Left took some kroil and 3 taps with a hammer. Right took kroil, some cussing, time, more kroil and 20-30 blows with a hammer using the thread protection tool.

Same with the rear end crossmember. I was expecting problems but one side popped out with a small screwdriver. The other took a pry bar but again, not in bad condition at all. The "leave the bolts in while you pry it loose" trick worked like a charm.

Pulled u joints. It is now hard to walk in my garage and not find a stray dry rusty needle bearing. I was lucky the right side had not come apart.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:02 AM
andy67
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

when im done spilling half the rad all over the floor i find cat litter is a good floor dry its cheap at wallmart i know i buy lots
Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Things I learned working on the Vette...

"If you can see it, you won`t be able to reach it.
If you can reach it, you won`t be able to see it!"
And only HALF of the time will you be able to get a wrench in there!
Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Lots easier to use two sturdy squeeze clamps to block off that section of heater hose when installing a shut-off valve. No need to drain the coolant, if you do that.

But, as always when working on these things....

Live and LEARN!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:52 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Things I learned last summer, always have the iPad close and charged so when I end up witha part on the floor I can quickly take a pic, post it up to e forum under the heading WTF is this, where did it come from and why did I do this again.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:32 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Things I learned this weekend working on my vette - #10

When you read somewhere that the headlight relays usually don't "go bad", check them before replacing every vacuum line and tearing into the dash.

Still, with 2 new relays and a new headlight switch, I HAVE FUNCTIONING HEADLIGHTS!!!!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by gdh
Things I learned last summer, always have the iPad close and charged so when I end up witha part on the floor I can quickly take a pic, post it up to e forum under the heading WTF is this, where did it come from and why did I do this again.
Agreed. Not sure how many times I've been in the garage, with greasy hands, on a phone or ipad searching on variations of the expression "How to ___________ c3 corvette".

Get notified of new replies

To Things I learned this weekend working on my Vette..

Old 06-27-2016, 03:34 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Default Things I learned this weekend working on my vette - #11

Things I learned this weekend working on my vette - #11

Pay VERY close attention to the direction of the intake manifold during installation.

I had sealant on the gaskets, ran a HEAVY bead of sealant on the front and back like I've read and seen on YouTube, and after carefully dropping it straight down in place and beginning to tighten up the bolts, I "noticed" the distributor hole was in the wrong place and I could not access the oil pressure hole at the back. I was installing it backwards! Took it off from one side of the stand and set it down but then picked it up to install on the other!

That takes talent right there ladies and gentlemen. ;-)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by LarMan
Things I learned this weekend working on my vette - #11

Pay VERY close attention to the direction of the intake manifold during installation.

I had sealant on the gaskets, ran a HEAVY bead of sealant on the front and back like I've read and seen on YouTube, and after carefully dropping it straight down in place and beginning to tighten up the bolts, I "noticed" the distributor hole was in the wrong place and I could not access the oil pressure hole at the back. I was installing it backwards! Took it off from one side of the stand and set it down but then picked it up to install on the other!

That takes talent right there ladies and gentlemen. ;-)
We need PICTURES of these lessons as well. Some of us are VISUAL learners! So PLEASE share some pictures of you installing the intake manifold backwards. Also, that way I can say "NOW I have SEEN everything!"
Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I learned that f you can't get your lower radiator hose off, to tighten the clamps back up before you forget too. Getting the engine hot will make sure that loose hose comes off when your topz down and the hood up

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 06-29-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Things I learned this weekend working on my Vette..