Sponsored by:

Mr

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Help-Testing before reinstallation

About 30 years ago I replaced the original radio and speakers with an updated aftermarket radio and speakers.

I left all of the original wiring/plugs in place, and have decided to reinstall the original radio and speakers, which I've kept in storage since their removal.

I took the dash apart and removed the gauge cluster to remove the aftermarket radio. Before I put everything back together, I wanted to at least plug in the radio, to see if it still works.

I plugged the radio to the wiring harness, not the speakers, and turned on the ignition, but it did not come on. At least I could not tell if it did.

Is there a simple way to energize the radio, without hooking up the speakers, just to see if it will turn on?

I would very much appreciate your help, as I'm trying to get the car back together, for some end of summer runs, before the snow starts blowing in northern Vermont

I've attached a picture of the Vette, and our matching 69 Z/28, which we bought new in early 1970.

Thank you very much for your help.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Jim Stock; 08-21-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Title
Old 08-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Did you have the radio grounded?

Love the cars!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Default Radio Help

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Did you have the radio grounded?

Love the cars!
That was my first thought, and I did try to ground it a couple possible points, but it was about 1am and gave up.

I'll try again tonight and will make sure it is a good ground.

Thanks for the quick response, and your comments about our babies

Jim
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi JS,
I'd think looking for the lighted dial might be one way of determining if there is power in the radio.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Default Radio Help

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi JS,
I'd think looking for the lighted dial might be one way of determining if there is power in the radio.
Regards,
Alan
Alan 71:

Thanks for your quick response, that was what I was looking/hoping for, but I do not think I had a good ground, will try again tonight.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 08-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Stock
Alan 71:

Thanks for your quick response, that was what I was looking/hoping for, but I do not think I had a good ground, will try again tonight.

Thanks again,
Jim
USUALLY....the antenna will provide a ground - provided it's properly grounded at the rear to the frame. If not any reasonable wire from the battery ground straight to the radio case should work for a temporary test.

Great color - are they both Hugger/Monaco Orange?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Somebody likes Orange. Orange you glad you Paid $3k or so for the Camaro in '70?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Is the paint colors Corvette Bronze?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:57 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

About 30 years ago I replaced the original radio and speakers with an updated aftermarket radio and speakers.

I left all of the original wiring/plugs in place, and have decided to reinstall the original radio and speakers, which I've kept in storage since their removal.

I took the dash apart and removed the gauge cluster to remove the aftermarket radio. Before I put everything back together, I wanted to at least plug in the radio, to see if it still works.

I plugged the radio to the wiring harness, not the speakers, and turned on the ignition, but it did not come on. At least I could not tell if it did.

Is there a simple way to energize the radio, without hooking up the speakers, just to see if it will turn on?

I would very much appreciate your help, as I'm trying to get the car back together, for some end of summer runs, before the snow starts blowing in northern Vermont

I've attached a picture of the Vette, and our matching 69 Z/28, which we bought new in early 1970.

Thank you very much for your help.
Is the amp hooked up ?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Default Radio Help

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
USUALLY....the antenna will provide a ground - provided it's properly grounded at the rear to the frame. If not any reasonable wire from the battery ground straight to the radio case should work for a temporary test.

Great color - are they both Hugger/Monaco Orange?
Hammerhead:

Thanks for your comments...much appreciated. I ran jumpers from the battery to the connector on the radio...and it powered up. Played around with it to further diagnose, and when I disconnected the ground from the battery, it still worked. My conclusion is the gray wire 12v source is NOT providing power, and I'll run down the problem, or will supply a new power source to the radio.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim
Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Default Radio Help

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Is the paint colors Corvette Bronze?
Both are Hugger Orange, the Z of course has the black stripes.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Default Radio help

Originally Posted by mchar
Somebody likes Orange. Orange you glad you Paid $3k or so for the Camaro in '70?
Favorite color, more like $4200 for the Z. Traded a 63 SS and borrowed $400 from my fiancé, wife of 43.5 years and counting, and drove it away after scaring the **** out of the salesman. He was glad to get rid of us.

I did a 2 year restoration on a 64 Coupe from 1978-80, it was black and loved it. Sold it to my brother in law in 85, and he is doing a frame off on it the past 2 years.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Jim
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Hammerhead:

Thanks for your comments...much appreciated. I ran jumpers from the battery to the connector on the radio...and it powered up. Played around with it to further diagnose, and when I disconnected the ground from the battery, it still worked. My conclusion is the gray wire 12v source is NOT providing power, and I'll run down the problem, or will supply a new power source to the radio.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim
Hi Jim,
All of the gray wiring in my 71 is for the small light bulbs through the dash. I am guessing that if you turn on your head lights, you will get power out of that wire. I believe that the radio power connection was a yellow wire (maybe orange?).
Old 08-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Default Radio Help

Originally Posted by kortensi
Hi Jim,
All of the gray wiring in my 71 is for the small light bulbs through the dash. I am guessing that if you turn on your head lights, you will get power out of that wire. I believe that the radio power connection was a yellow wire (maybe orange?).
Hammerhead:

Thanks again for your help and suggestion. I have the wiring schematic for the Vette, and it is definitely a gray wire for the power. Your comment led me back to the garage, I tried turning on the lights, and no radio. I had an unused "hot" red wire in the tangled mess from some far distant, and forgotten adventure, and when I stuck it into the gray terminal of the connector, everything worked the way it was supposed too.

Now I can finish up the gauge cluster, new clock and oil gauge, and start putting everything back together.

I believe the problem is solved, but still going to spend a little time trying to find out why no power on the gray wire. I really appreciate your help, and that of the other Vette lovers, who took the time to help me.

Have a happy Corvetting weekend.

Jim
Old 08-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Default Radio Help

Hammerhead:

Thanks again for your help and suggestion. I have the wiring schematic for the Vette, and it is definitely a gray wire for the power. Your comment led me back to the garage, I tried turning on the lights, and no radio. I had an unused "hot" red wire in the tangled mess from some far distant, and forgotten adventure, and when I stuck it into the gray terminal of the connector, everything worked the way it was supposed too.

Now I can finish up the gauge cluster, new clock and oil gauge, and start putting everything back together.

I believe the problem is solved, but still going to spend a little time trying to find out why no power on the gray wire. I really appreciate your help, and that of the other Vette lovers, who took the time to help me.

Have a happy Corvetting weekend.

Jim
Kortensi:

Sorry, still getting use to using the blog, and thought it was Hammerhead who responded with the 71 wiring suggestion.

Jim
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

No worries. I went and double checked mine again also to make sure. The radio in the 71 had 3 wires, Black for ground, Yellow for power, and gray for the light in the stereo. Good luck tracking it down. I'd probably start at the fuse box and work my way back from there. Especially since they are so easy to get at.

KO
Old 08-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Jim Stock
Navigator

Default Radio Help

Originally Posted by kortensi
No worries. I went and double checked mine again also to make sure. The radio in the 71 had 3 wires, Black for ground, Yellow for power, and gray for the light in the stereo. Good luck tracking it down. I'd probably start at the fuse box and work my way back from there. Especially since they are so easy to get at.

KO
KO:

Thanks again, the 69 is GY-B-YL, it is a polarized plug, so only one way to plug it in. There was a small original paper sticker, on the radio housing over the plug, that showed the gray wire as the 12v source.

I'll work on it some more tonight and over the weekend, if I find something different I'll let you know.

Jim

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Mr

Quick Reply: Mr