Sponsored by:

Wiring ? on 81

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring ? on 81

OK, I have posted here previously about the 81 I purchased in parts. The PO (bubba) swapped the stock motor for a L48. He also put the alternator on the ps and added a HEI dizzy. I have the manual for the 81 but not sure if the wiring diagram is the same for a L48 motor. I found the plug , I think, for the alt where it was located originally on the DS and probably will just splice to it to extend it to the PS.
So the ?'s are:
I want to verify if I have the correct plug for the alt, can someone tell me the wire colors for the alt? are they the same color for L48?
and where do I pick up the wire for the HEI?
Should I buy a alt cable extension or just make one up?

Thx
Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by nspctr01
...I have the manual for the 81 but not sure if the wiring diagram is the same for a L48 motor...
Your wiring diagram/AIM should be correct. L-48s weren't all that different from L-81s. Is there any reason to leave the alternator on the passenger's side? Seems life would be easier for you if it was in the stock position.

...and where do I pick up the wire for the HEI?...
All C3s since 75 had HEI. Your stock 81 wiring harness should have the plug you need.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:55 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

thought I'd add a couple pics of alternator. Pic one shows original harness and what I believe to be the alt wires. One is red and the other appears black.
Second pic shows alternator. are these compatible or is the alt a one wire alt. Forgive me but i'm not well versed on this.

Thx
Attached Images   
Old 09-09-2014, 09:33 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

this plug appears to be the correct one for the alt. is this all that would be needed or is the wire on the back of the alt required also? Since alt has been relocated, what is best way to extend wires? Buy an extension or just cut off plug and extend wires by soldering, heat shrinking and rerouting to PS?

Thx

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring ? on 81

Quick Reply: Wiring ? on 81