Windshield Weatherstrip Asm Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:43 AM
72and86
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Windshield Weatherstrip Asm Question

Passenger Side Side 1976

Continuing on my 76 "very nice driver" restore…
The passenger side windshield A frame had no weatherstrip. I removed the trim and the weatherstrip holder. I now have bought the weatherstrip.

The problem is; each of these pieces (including the the weatherstrip piece) has multiple holes in it and I only have 4 screws. I read how you can damage/crack the windshield if you're not careful using the right screws in the right places. My AIM manual appears to be no help and no illos anywhere showing what pieces go back and with how many screws in what order...

Any help? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:30 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

http://www.corvettecentral.com/newsl...pdf/413108.pdf

The above instructions from Corvette Central might help.

One thing to note before you begin is that there is a thin foam gasket that goes between the weatherstrip holder and the windshield trim to prevent water intrusion. Some vendors carry this and some restores substitute caulk, etc.

The second thing to note is that when assembling you need to put a sealer between the windshield trim and the piller, again to prevent water intrusion. 3M strip caulk works well, and some use weatherstrip cement (though I think future disassembly using cement might result in damage to the windshield trim

Finally. your question about the screws. Line up your 2 pieces of trim using the top angle cuts. The first screw will go into the hole by the blow-out protector clip. The second about midway down (there is a slight rust 'witness mark' on your trim. The third at the bottom of the weatherstrip holder (again, see rust witness mark). The final screw goes into the hole at the very bottom of the windshield trim.

Hope this helps! If you have more questions, PM me for some pictures.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
As R notes there is some sealer used that's similar to the 3M strip caulk now available and also a thin foam strip.
In addition some of the screws only pass through the windshield trim and not the retainer so there's extra holes.
Here's a couple of pictures (not too clear…. 20 years ago) of the sealer and the screws.
Regards,
Alan

Note screw passing through retainer and trim piece.

Note screw already in trim piece and hole in retainer that will encircle the head when the retainer is installed. (Hole is just seen at bottom of picture.

Note screw that passes through both pieces has been removed. Also note position of bottom of retainer relative to the bottom of the trim piece.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:20 PM
72and86
Drifting

Thanks both of you! This gives me a place to start…

1- So the SS Pillar Post Windshield Trim is "glued" to the car. No screws.

2- Then the Weatherstrip Retainer is screwed to the piece mentioned above with 4 screws?... (With a seal in between)

3- Now how is the weatherstrip attached to the WS retainer other than WS adhesive? There are holes in the WS strip...
Old 09-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi 72/86,
I believe there are 2 screws that only go through the windshield trim and then 2 more that go through the weather-strip retainer and the windshield trim. The reveal molding page in the 71 AIM indicates a total of 4 screws passing into holes in the windshield pillar for the trim and retainer.
The holes in the weather strip are so you can reach the screws in the retainer through the weatherstrip.
On my 71 there's the adhesive and a screw at the very top and at the bottom of the a-pillar weatherstrip that doesn't pass through the retainer.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 72/86,
I believe there are 2 screws that only go through the windshield trim and then 2 more that go through the weather-strip retainer and the windshield trim. The reveal molding page in the 71 AIM indicates a total of 4 screws passing into holes in the windshield pillar for the trim and retainer.
The holes in the weather strip are so you can reach the screws in the retainer through the weatherstrip.
On my 71 there's the adhesive and a screw at the very top and at the bottom of the a-pillar weatherstrip that doesn't pass through the retainer.
Regards,
Alan
Oh ok. Soooooo no screws actually go in the weatherstripping itself?? If thats correct, I think I can proceed now...

Im sorry it's just there just were so many holes and so few screws... (that didn't sound good )
Thanks Steve
Old 09-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Just read the link and they forget to tell you to put the corner chrome pieces in, would be almost impossible to put them in after windshield is in. I'm getting ready to do mine so I have been reading a lot on this subject.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

No . i put my trim on first , then put weatherstripping in
Old 09-07-2014, 12:48 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the screws without the windshield pillar trim if they really dont touch the glass. It's a mistake I wont make twice
Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 AM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by dembo
Check the screws without the windshield pillar trim if they really dont touch the glass. It's a mistake I wont make twice
ouch!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
72and86
Drifting

My first attempt at weatherstripping...
Ok, so I went to put the weatherstrip in the retainer and I was off. It was a chore to get w/s in the retainer, much less try to reposition/slide it.
soo... i removed it from the retainer.
To try this once again. I supposed I need to remove the old (newly applied) yello adhesive ? What removes it safely from the w/s w/o damaging it? (And off my hands)?
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi 7286,
3M adhesive remover or laquer thinner.
I think it's wise to dry fit each piece of weatherstrip. Get it exactly where you want it.
Then use some blue tape to make some reference points so that when the adhesive is applied and you put the strip in place you know just where the length of strip goes.
As you discovered you can't/don't want to be pulling on the strip to lengthen or move it, or pushing on it to try to condense it because the end is too long.
Hope the second try goes better!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-09-2014, 12:30 AM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 7286,
3M adhesive remover or laquer thinner.
I think it's wise to dry fit each piece of weatherstrip. Get it exactly where you want it.
Then use some blue tape to make some reference points so that when the adhesive is applied and you put the strip in place you know just where the length of strip goes.
As you discovered you can't/don't want to be pulling on the strip to lengthen or move it, or pushing on it to try to condense it because the end is too long.
Hope the second try goes better!
Regards,
Alan
Thank you Alan. Wonder if I should heat it with a blow dryer to get it width wise in the retainer. Its a real tight fit and Im trying to STUFF it in.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Weatherstrip Asm Question

Quick Reply: Windshield Weatherstrip Asm Question