Sponsored by:

Teenager First Car/Corvette/Project Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Update on the wheel situation:

Looking, and seriously interested at an ad posted on Craigslist in my area. Six 1978 Silver Anniversary Wheels (and tires) for a steal! Guy sounded like he inherited them from his dad, who bought them from a buddy. Said they have been stored in a shed, so at least they have not been in the weather. Don't have pictures but I will tomorrow. Guy said they looked like this (see picture)! I think they'd look good on my car, since I'm going to be doing the red stripe along the gray. Plus, I don't have to worry about offsets or spacers or any of that. Planning to go look friday (it's about a 3/4 hour ride away) if the pictures check out good.

Was told they were this style, off of a pace car.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Make sure you check the date codes before you offer a price.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Originally Posted by briankeery
Make sure you check the date codes before you offer a price.
Brain,

What exactly should I be looking for specifically? Where would the codes be, that way I can ask for pictures of them in advance?

Last edited by Cynical; 01-07-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tires-...-sidewall.page
Old 01-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Brian,

I was under the impression the wheels (rims) had date codes on them that I needed to look out for. I can read tires!

Thanks,
Joshua
Old 01-07-2015, 11:16 PM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 347 Likes on 208 Posts

I'd be more concerned with the date codes (if any) on the rims if you're interested in originality. If the tires are actually from 1978, I'd be worried about rubber degradation on 35+ year old tires and wouldn't want to actually drive on them. Keeping them for show, however, would be a quite a kick.

Paul
Old 01-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwav8tor
I'd be more concerned with the date codes (if any) on the rims if you're interested in originality. If the tires are actually from 1978, I'd be worried about rubber degradation on 35+ year old tires and wouldn't want to actually drive on them. Keeping them for show, however, would be a quite a kick.

Paul
Paul,

Did they make repos of these rims? The story I heard sounded real. On the off chance, where would the date codes be on the rims? What code should I look for (a general one). Don't plan on taking the 'vette out on the road until spring time, if not summer.

Thanks,
Joshua
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Unless you are worried about NCRS judging you don't need to worry about rims other than if they fit or not. Age of the tires would be the biggest concern for safety reasons as the tire can start to degrade over time.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Originally Posted by 929nitro
Unless you are worried about NCRS judging you don't need to worry about rims other than if they fit or not. Age of the tires would be the biggest concern for safety reasons as the tire can start to degrade over time.
Dick,

The car is not going to be anywhere near the standard of NCRS judging. Not that it's going to be anything modded really... I just know that there is a lot better cars out there! As for the tires, just got news that they are all dryrotted and need to be replaced. Going to make an update now!

Thanks,
Joshua
Old 01-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Alright, got some pictures of the rims. They were said to have come off a pace car, but look like the YJ8 aluminum wheels. All of the tires are dry rotted but hey, I'll have another 4 months to get money for new tires (any suggestions?). Of course, they look dirty, but nothing a good polishing can fix, and they aren't beat up, dented, cracked, or gashed. I plan on making them LOOK like pace car rims, because it would flow good with my car paintscheme. But instead of the black paint ring I am going to color match it to the stripe on my hood/car. Nothing crazy, just a subtle change. Everything look there? I think $400 is a fair deal for 6 original rims, four NEW caps, and 20 lugs.

Pictures from the seller:

Super excited! Picking them up tomorrow,
Joshua

Last edited by Cynical; 01-08-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteJoshua
Alright, got some pictures of the rims. They were said to have come off a pace car, but look like the YJ8 aluminum wheels. All of the tires are dry rotted but hey, I'll have another 4 months to get money for new tires (any suggestions?). Of course, they look dirty, but nothing a good polishing can fix, and they aren't beat up, dented, cracked, or gashed. I plan on making them LOOK like pace car rims, because it would flow good with my car paintscheme. But instead of the black paint ring I am going to color match it to the stripe on my hood/car. Nothing crazy, just a subtle change. Everything look there? I think $400 is a fair deal for 6 original rims, four NEW caps, and 20 lugs.

Pictures from the seller:

Super excited! Picking them up tomorrow,
Joshua
Looks good, Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish is calling their name!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brandons72vette
Looks good, Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish is calling their name!
They definitely need a good wash and polish, but for the price I think it would be stupid to pass it up, especially if I can use them, which I want to!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:47 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteJoshua
They definitely need a good wash and polish, but for the price I think it would be stupid to pass it up, especially if I can use them, which I want to!
They should look great on your car.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 PM
kcb37
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me if I missed it but...

The last picture of the caliper does not show a rust hole. (unless I don't see it.
A little description. The calipers are a 2 piece (main pieces) design.
You can split it and have half a caliper for each pad if you will.

The hole you see if the bolt hole for the bolt holding the two halves together.
Look closely you can see the threads, look at the other side of the caliper you will see the bolt.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimLentz
They should look great on your car.
Jim,

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Originally Posted by kcb37
Forgive me if I missed it but...

The last picture of the caliper does not show a rust hole. (unless I don't see it.
A little description. The calipers are a 2 piece (main pieces) design.
You can split it and have half a caliper for each pad if you will.

The hole you see if the bolt hole for the bolt holding the two halves together.
Look closely you can see the threads, look at the other side of the caliper you will see the bolt.
kcb,

I know calipers are two pieces, but this looks like a rust hole? Circled it for you. If not, my mistake! Car had been sitting outside for a long long time, first thought was a rust hole! Looked kind of chewed up and thin.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Good score on the wheels. You will have those cleaned up in no time. As far as your brake caliper goes I don't see a problem. That hole is where the tap drill broke thru. If they were mine I would clean them up and rebuild and paint them.

Get notified of new replies

To Teenager First Car/Corvette/Project Build Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 929nitro
Good score on the wheels. You will have those cleaned up in no time. As far as your brake caliper goes I don't see a problem. That hole is where the tap drill broke thru. If they were mine I would clean them up and rebuild and paint them.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:14 AM
1965markaccount
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Great thread so far and good score on the rims. I am in the C5 section most of the time but I am starting to get interested in C3's. Check the link below for your rims. Toque does a lot in the C5 section and has an excellent write up about polishing rims. Not that you need the advice but his tips are substantial and you may get some ideas you had not thought of. Good luck with the build. I'll follow along for the ride.

http://www.toquez06.com/
Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Default Update 1/9/15

First things first... p-r-o-d-u-c-t-i-v-e day!

Woke up at 6:30 this morning waiting for my Dad to get home from work (he works midnights). We planned on meeting the wheel guy at 10:30 (he lived about 2 hours away, and we didn't leave until 8). Drove all the way up to Saginaw, north of Detroit, to meet the guy with the six aluminum wheels. No surprises, all the tires are trash. 4/6 rims look really good, while the other 2 have some pretty good gashes/curb rash. But hey, what do you expect for USED 40 year old wheels? Wasn't as negotiable on price as I would have liked, but I can't complain at a price of $450 for 6 rims, 20 lugs, and 6 center caps.

On the way home, we decided to stop at Paragon, in Flint. They have a NICE showroom! Staff was really polite and helpful too. Ended up leaving with the correct lugs (20x chrome), a new engine coolant tank (mine was cracked), and a new window wiper tank (why not replace that too). Paid $50 for the lugs, which was expected, and $20 for each tank. The guy also told us that we got the wheels for a STEAL. He said they are going for $250/$300 for nice ones, each. Reassured me that we made a smart choice to go get them.

My dad is also really pleased that I am making the car appear original. Of course, I want to add things like electric flip headlights, and a few other helpful mods that use newer technology. We talked about the caliper situation. Came to the conclusion that we would rebuild the calipers and use o-rings. Don't have to worry about new, shiny calipers because no one can see them behind these wheels. We agreed on new tires for four of the rims. Decided on P255/60R15s. Thats what was on the silver anniversary car in the Paragon showroom, and it looked GOOD!

As for work... it's been REALLY cold. Negatives the past few days. Not good for an unheated garage! Figured out how much of a pain in the a** it is to change the window wiper fluid tank. I swear I spent almost an hour and a half figuring out how to drop it. Ended up removing something from the bottom of the engine bay, and taking the tank out the bottom instead of removing the brake booster. Still have to put in the bolt that holds the tank in place. Couldn't bring myself to stay in the garage after my hands and feet went numb...

Received the tail light set from Dick (929nitro). All came in fair condition besides the one reverse lense. My reverse lenses aren't in the greatest shape either, but my brake ones are. I am toying with the idea of four brake lights... they do it on early C3s so why not late ones too? I did a mock up and posted a new thread in the C3 general, but I will include a picture here as well. Major concerns would be how to alert other drivers that I am in reverse. I am thinking of making all four brake lights light up when the brake is applied. To do this would I just splice from the existing brake lights? For reverse I was thinking a light stripe above the license plate, but in the recess. Would splice that from the existing reverse wires. Would this all work?

Thanks again to Dick, I really really appreciate the lenses!

2x3 Stacks of the rims, look pretty good!

Center caps are brand new and correct, still in packaging!

New chrome lugs, correct for the aluminum wheels.

Thanks again (for the third time), Dick! Going to be putting the brake lenses to use for sure.

Before picture, original of my car after paint.

Little photo-edit I did. Explained above, would this work? How does it look?

Thanks to you guys who keep up with my thread, it means a lot too me! Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm sure the tunnel never ends.

Best regards,
Joshua

Quick Reply: Teenager First Car/Corvette/Project Build Thread