My very difficult project after My fathers passing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default My very difficult project after My fathers passing

Forum Brothers and Sisters, On August 3rd I lost my best friend ,A.K.A My Father.. He was 72 Years old and was still very active even though he was diagnosed with bladder cancer on Sept. of 2013.
My relationship with my fathers was very strong, although I had no idea how strong it was till he passed. My Father was a mechanic and owned his own
shop from the early eighties till about three years ago when he retired.In the past,Dad, His mechanics and I had done a frame on restoration back in the late 90's in his shop during free down time during work hours.
When he was diagnosed In October of 2013 I knew my father was going to go thru a difficult process with the upcoming Chemo treatments and Radiation.I also knew that he might become sad and depressed because he would be doing nothing much during this period of treatment.
That's when I decided to start a frame off Resto/Mod that he and I could work on together since I knew how much he love to stay busy and feel like a productive person working on the the 1974 Corvette he helped me purchase back in my Highschool year in 1985. As it turned out my father was a very strong force
working on all suspension components from helping dismantling it all to putting things back together again even rebuilding the trailing arms, something I had planned
to ship out to having them rebuilt by the professionals because I thought it would be to much for me and him to do. Wow, how did I underestimate him with that. turns out he knew all about the pressing off of the bearings ,of the shimming, to the preload of the bearings,to the runout, something I thought he had limited knowledge about because it was a "Corvette" we were dealing with here!!!!.... I was Wrong!.
Now, I'm very sure my dad didn't know 100% and wasn't interested in the all numbers matching parts thing, but he was a real Mechanic and he was very open and proud about where our project was heading!
My father even advised me on our project even while in the hospital a few days before his passing. Telling me about using small spare tires and wheels he had at his shop
laying around ,to lower the frame so the body would have enough clearance to slide the frame underneath it since I would be putting the body back on in my 8 foot ceilings
home garage.
Now, a lot of us forum members know about this process from reading about it here on the forum, but my father was not a forum member,and that surprised me that I had
read about it here and if it wasn't for the forum it would probably never have crossed my mind , but dad also knew about that!!
This is a very difficult time in my life that I knew I would deal with someday , I just can't believe and accept that,that day has come. I miss my father every day and although it been only about two months and a half at this time,it feels like i just lost him yesterday, every day.
Right after his passing and had time to think about the car in my garage. I made plans to pack everything up and send it to storage
and possibly finish it later on in life if I even cared to. I was thinking " dad didn't get to see it finished, why finish it"?. Things have changed in the last few weeks. I have
decided to continue on. I started to think the obvious. "Dad worked on it, He liked it, He was proud of it and Yes .. the ultimate... He would want me to finish what WE started!!"
On May 19th ,dad, my brother and I loaded the body on a trailer and took it to the paintshop.Afew days after his passing the car was painted and ready to be picked up. My two brothers a nephew and I went to pick it up. It was a bittersweet moment coming back home with the painted car but without my Dad in the front seat!!! With my fathers absence this is and become a very difficult project. Not because the work involved,but just because of his absence.
I would like to close this with two things.One being some of my dads pictures working on the car and number two just a little advise to all. Tell your loved ones that you
love them.. I told my father that,and it still hurts, but I'm glad I did!!

Cleaning Carb

Building Dollie

Last edited by redcruz1120; 10-15-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
74_stingray (09-23-2019)
Old 10-14-2014, 10:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Go find my post "progress or lack there of"
I feel your loss and pain...nothing good or right to say in these things...after a few weeks of not leaving the house my wife my tower of strenght told me to get going on the vette again and go upset the forum...lol...so here I am....hang in there and smile at the good memories.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Wow, thanks for sharing this. What a story, what a guy. He looked like that generation that was used to punching the steel nozzle in one of those old oil cans, without a doubt. He sure knew a lot! You're a very, very lucky guy to have had a great Dad that you had a close relationship with and got to work side by side with for many years. Some of us, never had that, glad you did. Glad you stuck out the project and overcame the awful emotions that you had to get through.

My condolences and I hope in time, you'll find that peace in your heart, that I know your Dad, would like you to have and that's because he loved you.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Thanks for sharing your story and your great pics . Memories forever .
Words cannot begin to be enough right now , only time , family , friends & great memories will help you through .
I was in a similar situation . My dad passed suddenly BUT i did sale the 69SS chevelle we were starting to work on , i regret it . Your vette is YALL , great memories for sure
...On a side note , i was able to locate ( or i should say it found me ) my first car my dad bought me . A 1970 chevelle , that still has the same engine that my dad and i built for it . restoring it is my next project
Old 10-15-2014, 12:48 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Very cool story that at the same time makes one sad at the loss of a father who is a great example of what fathers should be and this world today is so sadly lacking. Cruz, You were blessed to have such a dad. My deepest condolences. Rich..
Old 10-15-2014, 02:00 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I'm so sorry about your dad. It hurts very much right now, so take it slowly. I lost my dad, then a few years later......my son. Please consider Heaven as a safe haven for your dad, where he will be healthy and happy forever.

Doorgunner
Old 10-15-2014, 02:47 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

All those pictures are f***ing awesome. I'm very jealous that you got to spend time with your dad like this. I was raised by my grandparents and lost my grandfather when I was 26, so I've been living without a dad for a while now. It's definitely hard to lose that support and there are times where I really wish he was there.

Time will make you feel better, but you'll always have a place for him, and like you said, he'd want you to finish what you started and I know he'll be proud of all the work you put into it.

All the best.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:33 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Great story, beautiful car. awesome father. My your father rest in peace, and may you enjoy the project you and your father worked on together.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

First let me say that I'm so sorry for your loss.

Obviously your father was a talented man. That's quite a restoration going on there. It really looks awesome.

You just don't know when the good Lord will call one of us. I feel so blessed each day that he gives me another breath of precious life.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi rc,
Well….. first, I'm sorry to read of your father's death.
The picture of him standing next to the completed chassis tells the story!
That's a wonderful smile on his face that I'm sure you'll never forget.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend and father, like F22 said some of us didn't have that so cherish the memories and God bless!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:40 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

I feel your pain, i lost my dad when i was 18 we were restoring a 64 jag. I went in the garage and tried to work on and could'nt just kept thinking of him. Now some 37 years later wishI had the jag and those memories, hang in there it gets easier and you never forget.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:47 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 545 Posts

Your dad seems like the kind of a guy all kids want. Good for you that you appreciated him while he was still here and I am sure you'll have some great stories to tell your kids, all of the starting with " My dad used to….". And it seems that he raised an awesome son. Keep hanging in there.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:01 PM
frankturbo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I hear all of that , my Pop died 33 yrs. ago , he was ALSO my best friend , I miss him every day , great pics of you and your Pop , think of the good memories only , he's watching you !!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

What a great time you had with your father, remember the good times and cherish them. You are lucky to have so many recent photos of him doing what he loved, getting his hands dirty.
Time subsides some of the pain, this I know first hand. My wife passed away very suddenly Aug 5. A new normal starts to creep in. One without his physical presence, but not not his spiritual. I'm dealing with that now.
Finish the car, as he would certainly want you too. And smile when you drive it, surely he will be along for the ride.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

May he rest in Peace and God's Peace be with you and all his loved ones and friends.
It will get easier to get thru the day, but the sadness and tears may hit you at any time on any day. Let your emotions flow. My Dad has been gone since '92 and I still think of things I want to ask him. Sometimes he comes to me in a dream, I hope that happens to you too.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 AM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by scrappy76
great story, beautiful car. Awesome father. My your father rest in peace, and may you enjoy the project you and your father worked on together.

Get notified of new replies

To My very difficult project after My fathers passing

Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Keep at the car... you know he'll be right there with you!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:30 AM
198plus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry about your Dad, he sounds like he was a great Dad. Just think about all the great memories he left you with. I lost my Dad 12 years ago to cancer, miss him everyday as you do yours. Our parents memories never leave us, and that is what keeps me going. I always ask myself what would my Dad do, and I try to lead my life like my Father would have. Anyway great story, thanks for sharing.............
Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Beautiful

I lost my Dad August 13th - cancer as well. He was incredibly brave and the pain of losing him some days seems too much to bear - but I do - he is always there inside of me.

Take Care of that C3

vetfever

Quick Reply: My very difficult project after My fathers passing